O'Gilvie or Ogilvie Jamaica, Panama,

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

O'Gilvie or Ogilvie Jamaica, Panama,

Postby Norman O'Gilvie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:58 pm

Living in London UK, born Kingston Jamaica, family roots as known so far Caribbean, North/South America, Canada, Panama, and UK.
I have been told that my roots was started by 2 (two) Scottish men who came to Jamaica in around year 1700 and 1800. This I have not proved as yet.
I have started an O’Gilvie family tree which I hope will solve a lot of family secrets and find missing people/links of our family.
Any help will be very appreciated. Thanking you.
Norman O'Gilvie

Re: O'Gilvie or Ogilvie Jamaica, Panama,

Postby Aogilvie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi,

I have a book that can probably help you. Its called Scots in the West Indies by David Dobson. It mentions a few Ogilvies in Jamaica in the 1700s. If you want I can provide you with a list of names.

Just let me know.
Aogilvie

Postby bimjim » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:50 pm

Just out of curiosity, are there any LYNCH names in that book?

I'm most interested in the Barbados location. I have a brick wall at a Hamlet Mayers Lynch... I'm sure some would say that's Irish, but the name Hamlet suggests Scottish connections. And I have no idea what to think about the Mayers name!!

Thanks in advance...

Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Aogilvie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi Jim,

The book has one Lynch's

A Mary A Lynch who died in Clarendon, Jamaica

But Lynch is of irish origin. At the North York Library, as I see you are from Toronto, they have a whole section on Irish and Scottish migration. Go to the sixth floor.
Aogilvie

Postby Norman O'Gilvie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:10 am

Aogilvie wrote:Hi,

I have a book that can probably help you. Its called Scots in the West Indies by David Dobson. It mentions a few Ogilvies in Jamaica in the 1700s. If you want I can provide you with a list of names.

Just let me know.

Hi, I would very much like you to send me a list of names from your book with as much detail as possible.
Thanks, Norman.
Norman O'Gilvie

Postby Aogilvie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi Norman,

No problem. The book didn't provide a link for me to Grenada but I would be glad to help anyone I can.

The book identifies announcements that were published in articles in Scotland.

Here are the names and details:

1)George Ogilvie - living in Langley Park, Jamica, married Barbara Dundas, third daughter of James Dundas in Edinburge on September 10, 1785
2)George Ogilvie - died 1800, living in Jamica then in Dundee, Scotland
3)Alexander Ogilvie - died in Jamaica before 1811
4) Dr. David Ogilvie - Surgeon in Kingston Jamaica, moved to Aberdeen in 1782
5) James Ogilvie, born 1747, son of William Ogilvie and Helen Baird in Banff, died in Jamaica June 6, 1774
6) John Ogilvie, was in Jamaica in 1802
7) John Ogilvie, eldest son of John Ogilvie a glass-merchant in Glasgow, died in Kingston, Jamaica

That's all they had. I probably won't be posting more of these, out of respect for the author - he is a really nice guy. If anyone has any private request I will see what I can do.

The book is interesting and I would promote people interested in their roots to pick it up.
Aogilvie

Postby bimjim » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Aogilvie wrote:A Mary A Lynch who died in Clarendon, Jamaica

Thanks much.

But Lynch is of irish origin. At the North York Library, as I see you are from Toronto, they have a whole section on Irish and Scottish migration. Go to the sixth floor.

The Christian name Hamlet suggests a Scottish connection, so I am pursuing all possibilities.

I know of the genealogy section on the 4th floor of the MTRL, spent many hours there doing research - and that's where I ordered the LDS films to because they have excellent microfilm viewers and printers.

In fact I gave sets of both of my VL Oliver reprints "Caribbeana" and "History of Antigua" to the Reference Library as soon as I printed them.

My Hamlet was "described" as a free mulatto, so he was the son of a merchant or planter family and a negro. I suspect Hassel Lynch, but there is a Mayers in there somewhere, so instead of a white man and black woman it just might be a black man and a white woman.

An Elenora Lynch and Joseph Mayers, both landowners of the day, seem to keep cropping up in my research, where Hassel Lynch never does.

Onwards and upwards, to infinity...

Have a great one...

Best,
Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Aogilvie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:28 pm

MTRL has a lot of info? I should probably check that out.

I am connecting with a professor from the University of Edinburgh who has a lot of good info.
Aogilvie

Postby bimjim » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:03 pm

Aogilvie wrote:MTRL has a lot of info? I should probably check that out.

4th floor, on the other side of the Atrium from the elevators. There is a Special room on the right for rare books, then the tall bookshelves in the middle are all genealogy.

The rightmost (eastern) shelves are mostly Caribbean, including about 8 shelf feet of large beige books called "Passenger Lists", which started in 1983 with three volumes and they have been getting between one and three a year ever since. Every time a passenger list is found they add it to the next volume and then send them out when it fills up. The MTRL has a subscription.

The listings are alphabetical by surname, and also reference the names of people traveling together and the ship they travelled on.

Inside bottom shelf of the first bookshelves also has the full set of Sanders' "Barbados Records".

When I was busy in there I also came across many books with Irish references on the shelves on the west side of that floor of the MTRL.A

I guess the best policy is to look around and see what you can find...

HTH

Best,
Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Surnames O