British 6th West India Regiment

Specifically for seeking people who are/were in the military.
Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

British 6th West India Regiment

Postby santel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:37 pm

My ancestor - Adam von Beverhoudt - became a cadet ensign with this regiment 21 Oct 1813. He was born in the Danish West Indies so I'm assuming he joined up there. The 6th was disbanded in 1817

I have a note of him a Lt in the 63rd Foot 1818(St Micheal, Barbados)and the 58th Foot (Rutlandshires) 1819 ( Ireland and England - he served at the capture of Guadaluope))

I can't find anything in the British archives about him - any suggestions about where to search for info on these regiments and their members?
santel

Re: British 6th West India Regiment

Postby gaskinh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:37 pm

My name is Harrell (Jackie) Gaskin. I am from Barbados but I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I used to be
a member of the Barbados Regiment and I am also a member of the Barbados Legion. I was working in Barbados from
2001 to 2011 and when I was there, a book was written by a Major Hartland called Barbados Military history. In that book
there is information on the various West India Regiment. There is a room called the West India Regiment room
at the Barbados Legion Headquarters in Barbados. I think there were also some West India Regiments stationed in
Jamaica.
gaskinh

Re: British 6th West India Regiment

Postby gaskinh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:45 pm

From Harrell (Jackie) Gaskin

You can also check with the Barbados Museum which is located in the Old Military Prison Building in the Garrison Complex in
Barbados, There is also a the Barbados Military Cemetery which has some very old graves dating back to that period.
There are also two military monuments in the Garrison Area complex in Barbados with the names of soldiers who succumbed to variuos outbreaks of illnesses in the 1800.
gaskinh

Return to Research specialties - Military, War, Conflict