McCLEAN - Barbados, St Vincent, Trinidad

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

McCLEAN - Barbados, St Vincent, Trinidad

Postby mnelson » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:34 pm

"McClean" or MacLean, several branches.
Researching ancestors of "Fanovich" originating in Austria (currently Croatia) and "Ollivierra" originating in Portugal
mnelson

Re: McCLEAN - Barbados, St Vincent, Trinidad

Postby hill0788 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:53 am

:lol: Hi

My Great Grandmother was a McClean (Elizabeth Trotman McClean) and I have names and some dates going back to my GGGGGG Grandparents, William McClean and Susan.

Contact me however it's done on this setup, if you have or want info.

Thanks, Beth Hill
hill0788

Postby MargaretS » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi

I have just found a letter from Carriacou dated 1892, that mentions MCleans it says " Caroline is the only one of the McLeans alive and Lilly's two children who are with her Aunt Maria and Ellie (who is her only surviving child) sends you her love and also Miss Madeline, all the others are dead. Dougald died in Jamaica and Donald in Berbice."

The letter was written to John Stewart by his sister Catherine Brathwaite, it is very confusing to me as I know nothing of their family, does it ring any bells to you?

Margaret
MargaretS

Postby Duncan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:11 pm

Hi

There was a Charles Daniel McClean born in Barbados who managed Tourama Estate in the North Windward area of St Vincent around 1865. A daughter Ida Blanche McClean was born there and though she left, descendants of hers live there today. Charles McClean moved to Trinidad with his family and managed various estates there while increasing his family. He had ten children in all, two died young. Many McCleans in the San Fernando area of Trinidad are descended from him.

One of the estates he managed was Cedar Hill and mention is made of him on that estate in 1884 in the book "Bloodstained Tombs" by Kelvin Singh.

I do have a tree for that family in my possession and would be happy to pass on any details.
Last edited by Duncan on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan

Postby Bobbie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:53 pm

Hello, Mine also ? number of greats were William & Susan. The family story I was told was that they went from Scotland (where I now live) about 1715 but I have not been able to discover when they arrived in Barbados & what age he was when their son Alexander was baptised on 15 Sept 1720 (to find William's birth in Scotland if possible & why they went out). It is possible they were on the wrong side in the 1715 rebellion or that he was a covenanter (or his father was & transported). Any information gratefully received & I could then do more searches in Scotland for his birth. Thanks, Bobbie

My Great Grandmother was a McClean (Elizabeth Trotman McClean) and I have names and some dates going back to my GGGGGG Grandparents, William McClean and Susan.

Contact me however it's done on this setup, if you have or want info.

Thanks, Beth Hill
Bobbie

Postby Duncan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:33 pm

My wife's grandmother was Ida McClean mentioned above who was born in 1866. She recalls her father saying that the family originally came from Mull in Scotland.

I have in my posession a McClean family tree beginning with the same William And Susan. This tree was made in 1984 by Dr Vivian Usborne from St Vincent and she refers to the "McClean of Duart family" The tree states that William "came to Barbados from Scotland in 1715" (it looks as though she originaly wrote 16 but changed it to 15) His grandson Alexander born 1745 is shown as owning Little Island Estate in Barbados. I am yet to discover where that was.

I trust this may help your search.
Duncan

Postby Bobbie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:20 pm

Duncan wrote:Hi
There was a Charles Daniel McClean born in Barbados who managed Tourama Estate in the North Windward area of St Vincent around 1865. A daughter Ida Blanche McClean was born there and though she left, descendants of hers live there today. Charles McClean moved to Trinidad with his family and managed various estates there while increasing his family. He had ten children in all, two died young. Many McCleans in the San Fernando area of Trinidad are descended from him.

One of the estates he managed was Cedar Hill and mention is made of him on that estate in 1884 in the book "Bloodstained Tombs" by Kelvin Singh.

I do have a tree for that family in my possession and would be happy to pass on any details.

Duncan

I'm not very good at this & saw a message from you but cannot find it again. In it you gave me your e-mail. I have put on the general McCleans with Scotland links post the info I have & where it comes from. My aunt whose tree the info comes from always claimed to be McCleans of Duart but of course they are McLeans, so that is why I have been trying to verify the link. Any chance of your repeating the message?

Bobbie
Bobbie

Postby TERRIE » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:18 am

I was tracing the McClean family from St Vincent, one known as CEAFORD McCLEAN, which owned ORANGE GROVE ESTATE, his sister were married to WILLIAM ALLEYNE MURPHY, who I am related to.

Her names were CHARLOTTE LOUISE McCLEAN, (some people spell it McLEAN). They were married in St Vincent on 9th May 1889, in Calliquia, and lived there for a while, her father were ANDREW McCLEAN, I am a MURPHY by Birth, the children for ANDREW McCLEAN were EDITH, JOHN, BERYL, ERMIE, ROY, JOE, LOUISE, TIMOTHY & KESHIEA.

I was Looking for the Children for CEAFORD MCCLEAN,He sold the Estate to one MR SHEPHERD from Barbados when I was a little girl, and leave St Vincent, I don't know if he went To Canada or the USA, but in those days most people were going to Canada.

I don't know who CEAFORD & ANDREW McCLEAN parents were. I know I used to hear my grand parents talk about more of the McCLEANS, WILLIAM ALLEYNE MURPHY were my gr-grandfather's brother, I would like to know more about the McCLEAN'S from St Vincent & Barbados, if any one can help me out I would be most Thankful to them.

Please see if any one can help me out here, WILLIAM & CHARLOTTE LOUISE MURPHY, I believed leave St Vincent also.

Many thanks for any help from any one,

TERRIE
TERRIE

Re: McCLEAN, Barbados, St Vincent, Trinidad

Postby gglen » Sun May 09, 2010 8:59 am

I too have a family tree of my wife written by a family member some years ago. I have managed to verify some of it on line, but not all. It is interesting to read the connections indicated by other contributors.

The following information may be of some interest to those researching the McLeans.

Both grandmothers of my mother-in-law were McLeans. Ida Blanch MCLEAN and Laura Augusta Victoria MCLEAN were sisters and married Arthur CHILD and George LIDDELOW (both of these gentlemen came from England and married in Trinidad in the 19th Century) Ida and Arthur moved to St Lucia. Laura and George stayed in Trinidad.

I have further details if anyone is interested.

Geoff
Geoff Glen
gglen

Postby PRoberts » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:43 pm

I am searching for any information that is available on a woman named Paula McLean who worked at the Herbarium of the Botanic Gardens, Port of Spain, Trinidad, West Indies for 30 years. There is no written info on her in their records except that she worked there. She is very important to our organization's history and any info/photos would be invaluable.

Thanks,
PRoberts
PRoberts

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:51 pm

PRoberts
I am afraid I do not know of a Paula McLean but note the spelling - the McLeans (normal spelling in Scotland) were registered in the archive when they were deported on 24 7 1685 for having been to a conventicle as McClean and seem to be styled thus always. Suggest you ask Duncan as he has a wider family tree than I have.
Good luck Bobbie
Bobbie

Postby Duncan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:13 pm

I do not have Paula McLean in my records. Several members of the McClean family from St Joseph in Barbados settled as estate managers around Tacarigua and Princess Town in the mid to late 1800's. My records deal mainly with the latter, some of whom changed the spelling to Maclean. In addition I am advised that several Chinese immigrant families from around Princess Town wishing to adopt English sounding names took that of McClean.

If her name was spelt McLean then she may have belonged to a different family line. Still as spelling could change it is possible she came from the Tacarigua area.

Sorry I cannot be of more help at this time.
Duncan
Duncan

Postby Steph » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi gglen,

My grandfather was Arthur Liddelow, he has 3 children with Rookmin in Trinidad and Tobago, Silvia, Judy and Winston (born 1955). Winston in my father.
Steph

Postby PRoberts » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:50 pm

On searching for Paula McLean, i came across a herbarium specimen which was collected "in her front yard in Belmont." She worked in the Botanic Gardens for the period 1890 - 1920 mounting specimens, some of which are still in the herbarium collection. Any links to her will be appreciated.
PRoberts

Postby RJ Christian » Sat May 03, 2014 4:31 am

I believe we are from the same branch. The estate in Barbados is Kendhal Plantation, it still exist today but much smaller. That would be Charles Daniel McClean, I am trying to track down descendants on his wife's side of the family.

The Free family in St. Vincent. I have found some names on line and have a contact in St. Vincent to take me around when I get there later this month, then it's off to my favourite island Barbados. With the death of my mother, new light has been shed on a family I knew nothing about which extends across the globe. I've been fortunate to be rescued by 'fate' after being stranded in a snow storm, off the back roads in Durham and having a young lady stop to assist me, just to find out her dad is a McClean from Barbados. That was 20 years ago.

I've met John McClean who has now passed in Australia; Geoffery and Helen from Trinidad and Dwight McLean from Jamaica. As a child, I knew Mary and George McLean who moved to the UK and Percy McLean, (Berty's son)

Not much more, I've got lots of trips to take and just look where all of my family's roots came from. There is a definite dominant DNA strand I see, regardless of what branch you are from.

My friend in St. Vincent is from the Mofford family and just moved there over a year ago.

Cheers,
RJ Christian

Next

Return to Surnames M