PENROSE, Jamaica, Clarendon Parish, 19th Century

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

PENROSE, Jamaica, Clarendon Parish, 19th Century

Postby Sher » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:29 pm

I am searching for information about Rev. Elisha Penrose. He was a Methodist Minister in England who volunteered to serve at Jamaica in the early 1860's. He served at Clarendon Parish.
In the 1850's, Rev. Penrose took a sabbatical from the ministry and went to the California Gold Fields with his brothers who were miners in Devon England. Apparently he did quite well for himself.
I do not know how long he served at Jamaica, but while looking around the information posted on line on various sites I found a Richard Penrose in later years with 2 daughters - could this be a son of Rev. Penrose who decided to stay in Jamaica when his father went home to England?
While in Jamaica (not known if it was at Clarendon or another place) it is said Rev. Penrose was also in business - possibly a merchant.
It is thought that Rev.Penrose married while in Jamaica. She pre-deceased him (her name may have been Sophia) and in his last years he married a relative of his who looked after him for the rest of his days.
I have e-mailed the Methodist Archives in Jamaica for advice on how to proceed with my search, but they did not reply.
I have e-mailed the National Library with a query on the sort of documents that might be available for research, but they have not replied.
I have e-mailed the National Archives with a query about the sort of documents that might be available for research, but they have not replied.
I am feeling very frustrated with this search. Is there anyone out there who can offer me some assistance and information?
Thanking you in advance for your help.
Sher
Ontario, Canada
Sher

Return to Surnames P