LESLIE - Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

LESLIE - Jamaica

Postby skeman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi,

I am from the USA and looking for information about LESLIE family. Here is the informaton I have.

Charles William Leslie was born abt 1865 in Westmoreland, Jamaica. He was a schoolmaster.

He married Anna Newman and they had 8 -12 children. They had at least 5 girls and 3 boys, and lived in Manchester, Jamaica. My father was one of the sons.

The family moved to USA 1817-1922 and settled in New York City.

One of the sons (Dr. Linden Leslie) moved back to Jamaica in 1930's? He died in 1970's in Kingston.

There is another Linden Leslie, an artist who is a cousin.

Trying to find the Westmoreland connection.

Thank You
skeman

Re: LESLIE - Jamaica

Postby Nick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:01 pm

Hello:

I am from the USA as well and was wondering if you could tell me where Dr. Linden Leslie had his practice in Jamaica?

Also, was Dr. Leslie your father? I am asking because if it is the same Dr. Leslie we are talking about, I just wanted to let you know that I had a grandfather by the name of Dr. Leslie. One of his daughters is my mother.

Why I would say that he is the same person is that he passed away during the 1970's, like you listed.

How are you related to him? He is my late-grandfather.
Nick

Postby skeman » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi Nick,

I just saw your posting this afternoon.

Dr. Linden Courtnay Leslie mainly practiced in Linstead, St. Catherine. He lived from 1957 - 1973 (approx) in Linstead.

I never met him or any other family member until 1969 brief introduction at my father's wake (two aunts and a cousin); in 2010 I met a few more family members. More about how I found the family later.

You asked how I am related to the L. C. Leslie. Dr. L. Leslie was my uncle, my father's oldest brother. My father also was a doctor but in the States.

Who is/was your mother, since Linden was married at least two times. Do you know information about Dr. Leslie's parents?

I am so happy to find more family!

Carmen
skeman

Postby Nick » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:19 am

Hi Carmen.

It looks like we are talking about the same Dr. Leslie based on the description you provided about him. Well, where do I start? You had asked about Dr. Leslie's Parents. To be honest, I don't know much about his parents, other than one of them were white, I believe that's what I was told by my late aunt and I also believe she mentioned that his father was a school master. I was also told that Dr. Leslie's mom suffered some great depression. Also that Dr. Leslie's father was of Scottish descent. But other than that I don't really know much about his family.

About Dr. Leslie. I believe he met my grandmother in the mid 1930's (i.e., my mother's mother) after his first marriage ended. After which he got married to (someone named) Audrey Smellie, a nurse from Jamaica. His practice like you said was in Linstead, St. Catherine, at Fletchers Ave to be exact. Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity of meeting Dr. Leslie, since I was not born yet.

You had asked about my mother. My mother is his second child from what I am aware of. Her name is Josephine Leslie. (pet name is Shirley).

Hopefully we can talk more. I am also happy to meet other family members. :lol:

Val.
Nick

Postby skeman » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am

Val

Your answers make me have lots of questions.

What was your grandmother's maiden name, and what ever general information you can provide.

List your questions/threads of facts and I will try to answer or find out.

Got to run ... time to go to work;

Before I go, my father was the youngest = Clarence Garfield Leslie.

Carmen
skeman

Re: LESLIE,Jamaica-ALL

Postby Nick » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Carmen:

How about this. How do you feel about us talking over the phone? I don't mind if you call me and that way we can talk more. ph # is 727-667-1365. If you call and get my voice mail, just leave a message with a good time for me to call you back.

Thks much and have a great day!

Val
Nick

Postby greg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:49 pm

Hello,

I saw your posts on this site, I believe I am also related to the late Doctor Leslie, please provide with some contact information.
greg

Return to Surnames L