BRANDON - Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Brandon, A or Brooks, T.P.

Postby jeninchan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:44 pm

I am looking for my Great Grandmother's family. Father was Charles Brandon- Marble worker in approx 1900. (The son in A. Brandon and Son House Sign and Marble Works of 77b Harbour Street as seen in the Gleaner Sept 10, 1904). One of many letters I have is from Mrs. Charles Brandon (born Emily Aitchison) to her daughter Marie Brandon/Brooks/Westin dated March 1908. Also, had 3 sisters and one brother Charles who was in New York City in 1908. Another family address was #4 upper elletson road Kingston. Also, Mayville, Upper Elletson Road, and 41 Harbour Street.

TP Brooks was Marie's first husband deceased between 1902 and 1908. I would love to know when and how he died.

Thanks,
Jen
jeninchan

Brandon, charles

Postby jeninchan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:45 pm

His daughter Marie's death certificate lists her father as Charles Brandon born in England.
jeninchan

Re: BRANDON - Jamaica

Postby PaulGB » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi,

I found this very confusing as well. I assumed that when a family moved somewhere, they stayed somewhere. This has totally been debunked by the movements within my family. Many of the children were born in Jamaica, but several were born in England. Some families went across the Atlantic like they had their own private jets;)

If you would like to exchange information, please PM me or post a reply.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
PaulGB

Postby PaulGB » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Paraiso wrote:Descendents of Brandao/Brandon from England

Hi,

I am a descendant of Brandao/Brandon from England. So far, I go back to Abraham Brandon, born around 1640 in London, England. His children were born in Jamaica.

Looking forward to exchanging information with you.

Paul
PaulGB

Postby jeninchan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:18 am

Paul,
Wow, It's been 2 years since my first post and so much has happened since then. I have done quite alot of research and first- I found out how Theodore Brooks died. He fell off the back of the street car on which he was working and broke his neck. That happened when his daughter Genevieve was an infant so she never knew him. I have posted my family tree on ancestry.com- (actually several trees). If you give me an email address, I can send you a link. I followed a few of Marie Brandon's siblings and still hope to learn more. Marie's father was a painter and marble worker and I have addresses for his business as well as addresses and house names for 2 of his residences in Kingston. I also have a copy of his will. I would love to dig into british archives- I am sure I would learn more there.
OH- and I also found my Dad's only cousin on his Brandon/Westin side of the family. Their fathers were brothers and estranged for most of their adult lives so the cousins never knew each other- until I called last summer. My dad is 72 and his cousin is 76. They are so happy to have connected with each other.
I would love to go to Jamaica someday. Specifically Mandeville where Marie Brandon met her 2nd husband (My Great Grandfather) Henry Westin. The hotel where she worked and he stayed is now a restaurant and is still there.
I live in Minnesota. Help me understand our connection. I am looking forward to hearing from you again.
Jennifer
jeninchan

Postby PaulGB » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:21 am

Jennifer,

Anything further linking our families?

I still have many many holes in my family tree.

The Jamaican Family Search Genealogy Research Library is now totally free. I had a subscription to it years ago and found it useful at that time. I don't know what has changed on the site in the intervening years. I was trying to tie the first hit on the website, the will of Abraham Rodrigues Brandon into my family tree, to no avail. There is a lot of family information in the will, but I couldn't match any of the names mentioned in the will. I should go over the next will, which is from Isaac Pereira Brandon, which I am led to believe is my 7th great grandfather.

I have also done the National Geographic DNA test and am awaiting the results.

Take care,

Paul
PaulGB

Postby bimjim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Paul,

Just FYI, The Genographic tests at 12 markers is irrelevant to anybody's needs - 12 markers just helps the Project track your "path out of Africa", but does nothing for you.

The more markers you get, the closer to today's relatives you will connect, and I suggest you take advantage of FTDNA's (Family Tree DNA's) twice-yearly sale to get your results up to the maximum - 111 markers right now - as soon as possible

Also ensure that your markers - and Haplogroup type - are in their database at Ysearch.org so that matches will be provided to you (free of cost).

You should also be aware that the markers provided are Y-chromosome only, and will give you only matches with males. The female line is tracked with mitochondrial DNA tests. To match with anybody and everybody, male and female, you will need to do their Family Finder test.

Another test I have done which also puts me in a free and active database is from 23andme.com. They are in a dispute right now with the FDA, who do not want the company to provide clients with the health results from the DNA, but I think that will be cleared up eventually. That test is also a male and female match in which you can find matches (and matches can find you).
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby PaulGB » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the information on the DNA tests. We will see what comes back.

Thank you again.

Take care,

Paul
PaulGB

Return to Surnames B