Eastman's . Genealogy Newsletter

Useful links in Caribbean Genealogy
(Please provide brief descriptions with the links)

Postby bimjim » Tue May 19, 2009 2:57 pm

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/

In both the free and paid ("Plus") versions, becoming more full of technology than genealogy. If you use mostly laptops on airplanes and supplement that with iPhones and myriad of other gadgets, this may interest you more than the vast majority of us.

But even the less-than 50% genealogy part is very USA-centric and of limited use to the vast majority of us worldwide who are on-line doing genealogy from home.

Mr Eastman has the responses to his rebuttal below already in correspondence - correspondence which I have cut off because he is clearly not interested in anyone's opinions or suggestions but his own, and is defensive almost to the point of pugilism to comments. Personally, I will not be renewing my subscription, free or paid. You may make your own decisions.

From his own pen, here are ten of his more recent articles (at 24 Jan 2010), along with my comments regarding relevance to how important they are to the average genealogist researcher - at home with an older computer doing it part-time on the long haul. As a travelling man with all the latest gadgets, so far he is unable to see this point of view.

1. Turn Web Pages Into PDFs

So? (On Windoze at least) we can already click on File > Save As... and save the entire web page, graphics and all, in one of two formats. This is just more unnecesary software to clog up our limited hard drives that Windows is bloating up towards capacity.

2. Still Another Update: Internet Explorer Fix Expected

Ya, but I guess that would come under the heading of "Windows Update". Most people already have that turned on, and MS actually does that for us automatically when we shut down - so we don't need to know about it from a genealogy newsletter.

3. Ancestry.com Releases iPhone Family Tree

Again, the vast majority of us do not have iPhones. But, being bleeding edge users, those who do have iPhones will already know about it - especially if they are already members of Ancestry. Unnecessary for a genealogy newsletter.

4. (+) How Good is a $99 Computer?

Who cares? We are here for genealogy, not computer bargains. And next month they will be $79. We'll find a review in a reputable computer magazine if/when we're interested.

5. A Disk Drive in the Cloud

Hey, what happened to a disk drive on a floppy? Because that's where most of us keep our family tree. And to trust our data to a "pie in the sky" that is subject to having an internet connection and disappearing without notice... not at all likely. We compute from home, and when we are elsewhere we will either take a copy of our floppy with us to use one someone else's computer - and/or leave it at home and just enjoy ourselves, like we intended when we started this vacation trip.

6. Email at 37,000 Feet

Why? Do most of us even have laptops? Do most of us even know what Wifi is? Do most of us travel on an aircraft more than once every couple of years? For most of us is genealogy and connectivity REALLY that important that we have to be clicking away at every possible opportunity?

Sorry, not interested.

7. (+) Using a SmartPen

Go ahead, be my guest. I'll just take a couple of good, clear snaps with my digital camera and OCR them with my printer/scanner when I get home (or get nephew Johnny to do it for us). Good luck with that, by the way... we'll see you when you're done "Smarting" next week some time.

8. Nexus One Cell Phone/Handheld Computer Now Available

Same thing. I don't need to be (rudely) on-line in-touch all the time ignoring the people I'm already with to be talking to somebody I'm not with. I'll leave that to the entitled idiot kiddies who don't know any better - and probably never will.

9. New Genealogy Gems Podcast iPhone / iTouch

iGone.

iGive Up.

iNot interested.

(With my older eyes) iCan't Read It Anyway.

And when I want genealogy news I'll read it in that other genealogy newsletter... Eastman's is still full of computer stuff.

10. Get Rid of the Windows Bloat

Come on, now... can we get PLEASE rid of the Eastman's Bloat instead?
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: Eastman's . Genealogy Newsletter

Postby bimjim » Tue May 19, 2009 3:01 pm

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_ge ... world.html

What Attracted Our Ancestors to the New World
by Dick Eastman

I learned in school that our ancestors came to the New World in the 1600s in search of religious freedom. While I still believe that to be true, I now believe the full story is a bit more complex than the reasons given in grammar school textbooks.

Religious freedom was a motivation for Puritans, Pilgrims, Quakers, and others, but thousands of other immigrants were members of the established church in England and had no interest in other theologies. What motivated them?

Perhaps the simplest answer is that living in England was very difficult at the time. The upper classes lived comfortably, but the majority of citizens had difficulty eking out even a mere subsistence. Starvation was not unknown, and even those who did eat regularly had diets that most of us today would reject. Without refrigeration or modern canning techniques, even those with some financial security had monotonous diets in the winter and early spring. The thought of eating turnip soup three times a day for weeks on end seems appalling today but was common in the 1600s. The Irish more likely ate potato soup.

Fish and meat were available but often at prices that were beyond the reach of most city dwellers. Their country cousins perhaps had a slightly better diet of meats and vegetables that they produced themselves, but country dwellers typically lacked other comforts of life. In the winter, there was no available fresh produce, regardless of where you lived. The only vegetables that were available were the root crops that could be stored for months: potatoes, turnips, carrots, etc. Cabbage, while not a root crop, also stores well and was frequently available. Few people could afford to purchase large quantities of these vegetables, so the little that a typical citizen could afford was frequently supplemented with water and served as soup. After all,soup was more filling than a few ounces of turnips or cabbage.

Perhaps today we do not appreciate the appalling conditions under which our ancestors lived. Imagine, if you will, a city with narrow streets on a warm summer day in which there were no sewers and no source of fresh water. The primary mode of transportation was by horse-drawn carriages and wagons, so horse manure was everywhere in the streets. Even so, the odor from human wastes must have been far stronger as chamberpots were typically dumped into the streets and alleyways. Most residents did not bathe regularly, did not wash their hair, and never brushed their teeth.

Of course, modern medical care was unknown, and medical ignorance was universal. These people did not know why they breathed air, how the digestive system worked, why brushing one's teeth was important, or why clean water was desirable.

Most of England's water was heavily polluted, and there was relatively little in the way of forests as they had been cut years earlier for timber and for firewood.

Without proper food preservation techniques, we can assume that most of the food our ancestors consumed had a high germ count. Without clean living quarters or clean water, we can also assume that most of our malnourished ancestors were ill a high percentage of the time. It's a wonder that any of them survived and had descendants!

Speculators and adventurers of the time wildly advertised living conditions in the New World as a Utopian experience. While the claims were partially true, those with a financial interest in attracting new immigrants were quick to embellish the facts. After all, there were no "truth in advertising" laws at the time.

We now know that many of the early settlers starved to death or died of diseases linked to malnutrition. Yet the reports sent back to England spoke glowingly of fertile fields and forests that were full of game for the hunter. The seas were described as full of fish available to anyone.

William Wood in his 1634 book, New England Prospect, wrote:
Unlike England's undrinkable water, New England's is "so good many preferred it to 'beer, whey, and buttermilk and those that drink it be as healthful, fresh and lusty as they that drink beer.'"

Winters, he claimed, were milder than in England, summers hotter but "tolerable because of the cooling effect of fresh winds." Oh, and food was plentiful: "deer, available for the taking; raccoon, as good as lamb; grey squirrels, almost as big as an English rabbit; turkeys, up to 40 pounds."

Hmmm, have you ever eaten raccoon? To the semi-starved residents of England, it must have sounded like a feast.

You can read the first few pages of a modern-day reprint of William Wood's book, New England Prospect, on Google Books at: http://books.google.com/books?id=dXFwRz ... t&resnum=4.

I have focused on the people and the lifestyles of England simply for convenience; those records and books are easy to read for modern-day English speakers. However, the lifestyles and the motivations were similar in Ireland, Scotland, and all throughout Europe.

In fact, some of our ancestors made the difficult trip over the Atlantic for religious freedom. However, probably a much larger number made the trip for adventure and for greater financial opportunities. After all, life was none too pleasant in "the Old Country." Many believed that life would be much better in the New World. In some cases, they were correct.

I certainly am glad that they made the trip!

Posted by Dick Eastman on May 03, 2009

Comments

Of course, the fact that some were burned at the stake for even saying something that differed with the "accepted" religion of the time, might have had a lot to do with it. The Bible was printed and many , but not all, could read for the first time in order to argue with the "religious leaders".. That didn't go well. When one member of the family was burned at the stake..,for saying that we would all be judged, the leaders thought they would not be judged and burned him at the stake... the rest of the family fled for Holland as they were more generous with free thought.

FREEDOM mean so much... Why our forefather.mothers were willing to leave loved ones and homeland to a better place where they could make FREEDOM available.

Posted by: MaryLou | May 04, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Good Morning Dick

I really enjoyed the article. To me learning about the period a particular generation lived has been one of the benefits of genealogy. I often wonder if I could have endured what some of my ancestors did?

Another comparison that I find very interesting to make is with our astronauts. We look at their death defying ventures and think 'Oh My Gosh". Well folks it ain't new. A great book to describe the hardships, failures, and successes our explorers from almost 200 years ago endured is *Resolute* by Sandler. For those explorations the men were gone for 2,3,and 4 years without seeing anyone else.

Dick:Thanks again for the article and I really enjoy your newsletter.Hope to see you in Raleigh.,
Douglas Burnett
Satellite Beach
FL

Posted by: Douglas Burnett | May 04, 2009 at 10:10 AM

The Irish probably at potato soup in the 1600's? Well I guess since it was introduced into Europe about 1536 from the Americaa they might have but I would think the use of potatoes as a staple source of starch in Ireland was more 18th and 19th century.

The available of cultivars was limited even in the 19th century which is why it was susceptible to blight and the potato famine occured in the 1840's.

Posted by: Maryann Rosie | May 04, 2009 at 10:41 AM

You paint a very bleak picture indeed!

The staple diet of every English person was bread and ale; the latter drunk because the water was of poor quality. Cheese, butter and onions were available all the year round. Hence the "ploughman's lunch" we still have available in English pubs today. In the country, preserves were always made from summer and autumn fruits and pickling in vinegar was common for items like onions, walnuts, eggs. Apples were stored over winter and meat was salted down for storage. Porridge, made from oats and water was probably the most common "staple" after bread. Milk and eggs were always available in the countryside where the majority of people lived prior to the industrial revolution. I don't think it was quite so bad as you paint!

Posted by: Sandra J Smith | May 04, 2009 at 04:24 PM

Come to think of it many of our fairly immediate ancestors revelled in the thoughts of fresh vegetables as soon as any were available in the Spring. My own grandmother had no electricity; she didn't want it. I recall she had stored apples in the cellar for the Winter.

Some of our farmer ancestors who were not financially well off did not take baths very often and used outhouses.

Posted by: gmf | May 04, 2009 at 05:17 PM

I think MaryLou is getting carried away ascribing a reason for emigrating as people being burning at the stake for disagreeing with the accepted regligion. The last person to be burned at the stake for heresy in England was 1612 and most of our ancestors migrated after that. Buring at the stake was not common in other countries. I think Dick is right on, that the most common reason for migrating was to escape poverty, rather than for religious reasons.

Posted by: Harold Miller | May 04, 2009 at 05:17 PM
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Tue May 19, 2009 3:04 pm

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_ge ... nline.html

May 03, 2009
British Newspapers 1800-1900 .

British Newspapers is a joint effort between the British Library and Gale, Cengage Learning to make available digitised versions of key nineteenth-century British newspapers. The . collection presently contains several million articles from forty-nine local and national newspapers. This database offers . access to a key set of primary sources for the study of nineteenth-century history.

For the forty-nine titles selected, every front page, editorial, birth and death notice, advertisement and classified ad that appeared within their pages for the time period available is now accessible from what is a virtual chronicle of history for this period. Users of the database are able to search every word on every page.

The aim was to select a number of London and regional titles, covering as much of the UK as possible. London titles include The Morning Chronicle, The Illustrated Police News and a number of Chartism newspapers. Regional newspapers include: The Northern Echo, Western Mail, The Newcastle Courant, The Ipswich Journal, and The Bristol Mercury. In all, forty-nine titles from the nineteenth century are included. Of those titles, The Penny Illustrated Paper and The Graphic are made available as titles that can be viewed freely without any subscription.

To access the millions of articles in this database, you will need to first register as a user and then purchase either:
A 24-hour pass for £6.99 that provides you access to 100 articles over that period.
A 7-day pass for £9.99 that provides you access to 200 articles over that period.

You can view complete articles from the Penny Illustrated Paper and The Graphic free of charge.

Here is a complete list of all the available newspapers:Title Newspaper Title/Variant Title City Country Start

End

1 Aberdeen Journal Aberdeen Scotland 1 Jan 1800
23 Aug 1876

Aberdeen Weekly Journal

30 Aug 1876
31 Dec 1900
2 Baner Denbigh Wales 4 Mar 1857
28 Sep 1859

Baner ac Amserau Cymru

5 Oct 1859
29 Dec 1900
3 Belfast News-Letter Belfast Ireland 1 Jan 1828
31 Dec 1900
4 Birmingham Daily Post Birmingham England 4 Dec 1857
29 Sep 1900
5 Brighton Patriot Brighton England 24 Feb 1835
28 Jun 1836

Brighton Patriot and South of England Free Press

5 Jul 1836
13 Aug 1839
6 Bristol Mercury Bristol England 4 Jan 1819
26 Jan 1878

The Bristol Mercury and Daily Post

28 Jan 1878
31 Dec 1900
7 Caledonian Mercury Edinburgh Scotland 1 Jan 1800
27 Aug 1859

The Caledonian Mercury and Daily Express

29 Aug 1859
21 Feb 1860

The Caledonian Mercury

22 Feb 1860
20 Apr 1867
8 Champion London England 18 Sep 1836
14 Nov 1836

The Champion and Weekly Herald

20 Nov 1836
26 Apr 1840
9 The Charter London England 27 Jan 1839
15 Mar 1840
10 Chartist London England 2 Feb 1839
7 Jul 1839
11 Chartist Circular Glasgow Scotland 28 Sep 1839
18 Sep 1841
12 Cobbet's Weekly Political Register London England 1 Jan 1802
3 Mar 1804

Cobbett's Weekly Political Register

17 Mar 1804
17 Sep 1836
13 Daily News London England 21 Jan 1846
31 Dec 1900
14 Derby Mercury Derby England 2 Jan 1800
31 Dec 1900
15 The Era London England 30 Sep 1838
29 Dec 1900
16 Examiner London England 3 Jan 1808
26 Feb 1881
17 Freeman's Journal Dublin Ireland 1 Jan 1800
27 Apr 1802

Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser

11 Jul 1807
31 Dec 1900
18 Genedl Caernarvon Wales 8 Feb 1877
31 Dec 1900
19 Glasgow Herald Glasgow Scotland 4 Feb 1820
31 Dec 1900
20 Goleuad Caernarvon Wales 30 Oct 1869
31 Dec 1900
21 Graphic London England 1 Jan 1870
29 Dec 1900
22 Hampshire/Portsmouth Telegraph Portsmouth England 1 Jan 1800
8 Feb 1802

Mottley's Telegraph and Portsmouth Gazette

15 Feb 1802
22 Feb 1802

Hampshire Telegraph & Portsmouth Gazette

1 Mar 1802
4 Jul 1803

Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle, etc

11 Jul 1803
7 Oct 1899

Hampshire Telegraph and Naval Chronicle

14 Oct 1899
31 Dec 1900
23 Hull Packet Hull England 1 Jan 1800
30 Jun 1807

The Hull Packet and Original Weekly Commercial, Literary and General Advertiser

7 Jul 1807
6 Nov 1827

The Hull Packet and Humber Mercury

13 Nov 1827
5 Apr 1833

The Hull Packet

12 Apr 1833
18 Nov 1842

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times

25 Nov 1842
26 Feb 1886
24 Illustrated Police News London England 5 Jan 1867
29 Dec 1900
25 Ipswich Journal Ipswich England 1 Jan 1800
31 Dec 1900
26 Jackson's Oxford Journal Oxford England 1 Jan 1800
28 May 1898

Oxford Journal and County News

4 Jun 1898
3 Sep 1898

Jackson's Oxford Journal

10 Sep 1898
31 Dec 1900
27 Leeds Mercury Leeds England 3 Jan 1807
31 Dec 1900
28 Liverpool Mercury Liverpool England 5 Jul 1811
31 Dec 1900
29 Lloyd's Illustrated Newspaper London England 27 Nov 1842
8 Jan 1843

Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper

15 Jan 1843
27 Aug 1848

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper

14 Jan 1849
31 Dec 1900
30 London Dispatch London England 17 Sep 1836
3 Oct 1839
31 Manchester Examiner Manchester England 10 Jan 1846
28 Oct 1848
32 Manchester Examiner and Times Manchester England 4 Nov 1848
16 Jun 1855

Manchester Weekly Examiner & Times

23 Jun 1855
5 Dec 1857

Manchester Weekly Times and Examiner

12 Dec 1857
31 Dec 1900
33 Manchester Times Manchester England 17 Oct 1828
23 May 1829

The Manchester Times and Gazette

30 May 1829
26 Aug 1848

The Manchester Times and Manchester and Salford Advertiser and Chronicle

2 Sep 1848
28 Oct 1848
34 Morning Chronicle London England 1 Jan 1801
2 Mar 1865
35 Newcastle Courant Newcastle upon Tyne England 1 Jan 1803
27 Jun 1884

The Newcastle Weekly Courant

4 Jul 1884
29 Dec 1900
36 North Wales Chronicle Bangor Wales 4 Oct 1827
29 Dec 1900
37 Northern Echo Darlington England 1 Jan 1870
31 Dec 1900
38 Northern Liberator Newcastle upon Tyne England 21 Oct 1837
23 May 1840

The Northern Liberator and Champion

30 May 1840
19 Dec 1840
39 Northern Star Leeds England 6 Jan 1838
23 Nov 1844

The Northern Star and National Trades' Journal

30 Nov 1844
13 Mar 1852

The Star and National Trades' Journal

20 Mar 1852
1 May 1852

The Star of Freedom

8 May 1852
27 Nov 1852
40 Odd Fellow London England 5 Jan 1839
10 Dec 1842
41 Operative London England 4 Nov 1838
30 Jun 1839
42 Pall Mall Gazette London England 7 Feb 1865
31 Dec 1900
43 The Penny Illustrated Paper London England 12 Oct 1861
24 May 1913
44 Poor Man's Guardian London England 9 Jul 1831
26 Dec 1835
45 Preston Chronicle Preston England 10 Feb 1844
30 Dec 1893
46 Reynold's Newspaper London England 5 May 1850
2 Feb 1851

Reynolds's Newspaper

9 Feb 1851
30 Dec 1900
47 Southern Star London England 19 Jan 1840
12 Jul 1840
48 Trewman's Exeter Flying Post Exeter England 1 Jan 1807
29 Dec 1900
49 Western Mail Cardiff Wales

You can find British Newspapers . at: http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs.

My thanks to Richard Heaton for telling me about this . resource.

Posted by Dick Eastman on May 03, 2009

Comments

I have been viewing this set of records at the Library in Salt Lake City for some time. It is available at certain institutions free of charge. I have found many of my ancestors in the Ipswich Journal. I found some in the quarter sessions reports; when land is sold it mentions tenants names sometimes; Births, Deaths, Marriages of prominent residence; Local and National news. The every word index makes it very useful. I am searching the surname Scoggins so it is very manageable; however, with a more common surname it would be necessary to have a date in mind to search.
What is the link to the paid service?

Posted by: Don Jaggi | May 03, 2009 at 03:42 PM

Hi,

Just to add in case readers outside the UK don't know. The 1800-1900 . is one of three projects major projects to digitalise British & Irish newspapers (the second is the Burney and the third are a selection of regional newspapers 18th and 19th Century)

The titles chosen for 1800-1900 are a mix of specialist, regional, and London newspapers. And there are some gems. Of particular interest for anyone with theatre ancestors is the Era. For those you might have Chartist ancestors you might find details (only a fraction of chartists are probably named) in titles 10, 11, or 39 (my ancestor James Cuttriss is mentioned - his Chartist membership card can be found on my website).

While you may be hunting for your ancestors you may also want to try to look for views of the places they lived and a possibility above is the Graphic.

Its worth adding, just because "your" regional paper isn't included doesn't mean your ancestors or cousins don't appear. Bad news sells and travels well, and certainly from the 18th Century regional newspapers can be expected to print details of serious crimes and accidents countrywide - if they thought it would be of interest to their readership.

Having transcribed on my site only a fraction of my own collection, close over 860 British and Irish regional Georgian and Victorian newspapers - its been clear for some time that digitalisation is the best way forward and I'm very much looking forward to the next release of material.

Finally, while I've been fortunate that my local library obtained a subscription to this resource, so I've enjoyed free access in the UK for some time, it was thanks to Polly Rubery that the pay for view option was highlighted.

Very Best Regards and best of luck finding your ancestors
Richard Heaton
(currently tackling a South of England regional paper for 1783)

Posted by: Richard Heaton | May 04, 2009 at 07:08 AM

Does anyone know -- if you have worked these records - if it might be likely that the Leeds Mercury would carry death notices from the 1860's?

Posted by: Pam | May 04, 2009 at 07:16 PM

Pam wrote:

Does anyone know -- if you have worked these records - if it might be likely that the Leeds Mercury would carry death notices from the 1860's?

A: Generally only if the family paid for a death notice to be included. These weren't automatic and many would not have been able to afford to do so. If the deceased was a local worthy, then it's possible the paper would run a piece.

Posted by: Charani | May 06, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Hello - I am quite sure this will not be posted but there are most likely others thinking like myself. These fees are much too high and the time far too short for the amount you are asking. Most people do not have a full 24 hours in which to take advantage to get the value for their money. I have searched the Gale site when it was free and have found it takes many hours to read over and locate any
worthwhile information for family history. I will hold off on buying any time right now and have to see how things go. I am just not impressed with your rates.

Posted by: Lorraine Satchell | May 09, 2009 at 11:37 PM
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Tue May 19, 2009 3:34 pm

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_ge ... ndorg.html

May 11, 2009
Search Immigration History at EllisIsland.org

When the waves of Immigration to USA started decades ago Ellis Island was the first port of entry for millions of immigrants from Europe and elsewhere who came to the United States to search for happiness and prosperity. Now their descendants go to the Ellis Island foundation's website ellisisland.org to search their past and how their ancestors came to New York City.

Did you know that there are 10 free websites including Ellisisland.org where you can search your family's past immigrant history? Nancy Hendrickson provides the list at http://www.huliq.com/1/80694/search-imm ... sislandorg.

Posted by Dick Eastman on May 11, 2009

Comments

You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The Ellis Island website is a WONDERFUL resource for anyone with immigrant ancestors from the early 20th century. I'm amazed at how many people aren't even aware this fantastic . resource exists. Thank you for posting this reminder, as it will surely encourage more people to use the site, and may even help break through some brick walls out there!

Posted by: Stephanie at the Irish Genealogical Research blog | May 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Tue May 19, 2009 3:37 pm

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_ge ... added.html

May 12, 2009
FamilySearch Indexing Update: Austria, Germany, Indiana, New York, and UK Projects Added

The following announcement was written by FamilySearch:

Diligent FamilySearch indexers made quick work of the New York 1892 and the Rhode Island 1925 State Censuses. Those projects are now complete and will be prepped for publishing ..

New indexing projects added this week are:
Austria, Wiener Meldezettel
Germany, Mecklenburg 1890 Volkszählung, Div 24-38
Indiana, Adams County Marriages, 1811-1959
Indiana, Allen County Marriages, 1811-1959
Mississippi—1920 U.S. Federal Census
New York 1905 State Census
UK, Warwickshire Parish Registers, 1538–Present

(See the chart below for a complete list and current status of all indexing projects).

Recently Completed Projects

(Note: Recently completed projects have been removed from the available . indexing batches and will now go through a final completion check process in preparation for future publication.)
Montana—1920 U.S. Federal Census
Nebraska—1920 U.S. Federal Census
New York 1892 State Census
Rhode Island 1925 State Census

Current FamilySearch Indexing Projects, Record Language, and Percent CompletionArgentina, Buenos Aires 1855 Census Spanish 23%
Argentina Censo 1869—Catamarca y La Rioja Spanish 91%
Argentina Censo 1869—Corrientes y Entre Rios Spanish 69%
Arkansas County Marriages V, 1837–1957 English 74%
Arkansas County Marriages VI, 1837–1957 English 13%
Austria, Wiener Meldezettel German (New)
Belgium, Antwerp Foreigners Index, 1840–1930 Dutch, Flemish 34%
Brandenburg Kirchenbücher, 1789–1875 German 57%*
France, Coutances, Paroisses de la Manche, 1792–1906 French 9%
Germany, Mecklenburg 1890 Volkszählung, Div 24–38 German (New)
Illinois, Cook County Birth Certificates, 1916–1922 [Part 1] English 67%
Indiana, Adams County Marriages, 1811–1959 English (New)
Indiana, Allen County Marriages, 1811–1959 English (New)
Italy, Trento Baptism Records, 1784–1924 Italian 70%
Mexico, Censo de 1930—Sinaloa Spanish 67%
Mexico, Censo de 1930—Tamaulipas Spanish 38%
Mexico, Censo de 1930—Yucatan Spanish 8%
Minnesota—1920 U.S. Federal Census English 48%
Mississippi—1920 U.S. Federal Census English (New)
New York 1905 State Census English (New)
Nicaragua, Managua Civil Records, 1879–Present Spanish 40%*
Peru, Lima—Registros Civiles, 1910–1930 Spanish 22%
Russia, St Petersburg Kirchenbuchduplikat, 1833–1885 German 1%
Spain, Avila, Moraleja de Matacabras, 1540–1904 Spanish 9%
Spain, Lugo—Registros Parroquiales [Part 1], 1530–1930 Spanish 17%
U.K., Cheshire—Land Tax, 1778–1832 English 83%
U.K., Warwickshire Parish Registers, 1538–Present English (New)
Ukraine, Kyiv, 1840–1842 Russian 15%
Venezuela, Mérida Registros Parroquiales. 1654–1992 Spanish 10%*

(*Percentage refers to a specific portion of a larger project.)

Current FamilySearch Partner Projects, Record Language, and Percent CompletionArkansas Marriages IV, 1837–1957 English 28%
Belgique—Registres Des Décès (Français), 1796–1910 French 21%*
België—Overlijdens Registers—Charleroi, 1851–1900 Dutch, Flemish 17%
België—Overlijdens Registers—In het Nederlands, 1796–1910 Dutch, Flemish 80%*
België—Overlijdens Registers—Kalmthout, 1851–1900 Dutch, Flemish 15%
België—Overlijdens Registers—Mechelen, 1851–1900 Dutch, Flemish 2%
Bremer Schifflisten, 1904–1914 German 50%
Flanders Death Registration, 1796–1900 French, Dutch, Flemish 78%*
Indiana Marriages, 1882 to April 1905 English 87%
Norway 1875 Census [Part 1] Norwegian 27%
Nova Scotia, Antigonish Church Records, 1823–1905 English 78%
Ohio Tax Records—2 of 4, Post 1825 English 76%
Vermont Militia Records, 1861–1867 English 39%

(*Percentage refers to a specific portion of a larger project.)

Current FamilySearch Regional Projects, Record Language, and Percent Completion

(These projects are being indexed by volunteers in specific areas of the world.)Australia, Sydney Cemetery Inscriptions, 1800–1960 English 3%
Australia—Victoria Probate Records, 1853–1989 English 61%
Canada, British Columbia Marriages, 1859–1932 English 3%
Quebec—Trois-Rivières IC, 1800–1900 French 44%

Posted by Dick Eastman on May 12, 2009 | Permalink ShareThisShareThisShareThis

Comments

Thank you very much for posting this. It is really good to keep getting updates of how far these projects are along. Seeing as I helped with the UK Cheshire parish registers, I really ought to do more and get involved with the Land Tax project too! It's at 83%, not far to go! Note to self: must do better...

Your posts updating this are my main source of information about projects' progress, I can't seem to find the information on the site.
Thank you again!

Posted by: GiselleF | May 13, 2009 at 08:39 AM

I can't wait to look at the New York state censuses. Those are going to be a big help with my husband's genealogy. Thanks for letting us know those are going to be available! I'll be looking for them when they're published ..

Posted by: Stephanie at the Irish Genealogical Research blog | May 13, 2009 at 01:09 PM

I read someplace yesterday that only Brooklyn has been completed for the 1892 NY census. Can you please tell me whether only Brooklyn, all of NY City or all of NY State has been completed?

Posted by: David | May 13, 2009 at 02:00 PM

I have been working on the France Coutance files on and off for over a year. I am surprised to see how little has been done.

Posted by: Sherri | May 13, 2009 at 07:22 PM

When are they going to tackle the New Jersey state censuses from 1825 to 1925?

Posted by: Dick | May 14, 2009 at 01:33 PM
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Tue May 19, 2009 3:38 pm

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_ge ... oject.html

May 12, 2009
Announcing the Devon Wills Project

The following announcement was written by the Devon Wills Project:

The Devon Wills Project, a co-operation involving the Devon Family History Society, the Devon Record Office, GENUKI/Devon, and the Plymouth and West Devon Record Office, will it is hoped result in the creation of a very important additional resource for Devon genealogists - BUT, this will depend on enough volunteers stepping forward to help out. Hence this message.

The Project has been set up in an attempt to compensate, as far as this is possible, for the disastrous loss of Devon wills that occurred when the Exeter Probate Office was destroyed by fire during World War II.

The aim of the Devon Wills Project is to provide a consolidated index of Devon wills, administrations and inventories, covering (and distinguishing between) original documents, probate copies, transcripts and abstracts. The project involves systematically transcribing information obtained from various "sources", i.e. card indexes, calendars, catalogues, etc. The period covered is in general just up to 1857. (The index will cover only testators, not other named individuals.)

The ultimate aim is to include information taken from all existing published or publicly available sources of information about Devon wills, administrations and inventories, i.e. of all Devon testamentary material. Eventually this will even include the information (testator's name, parish and date) that is provided in published calendars of the wills that were being held at Exeter prior to the destruction of the Exeter Probate Office though this is, sadly, all the information that now exists for most of these wills.

A lot of work has been going on behind the scenes during the last few months, such as negotiations with the owners of various information resources and the production of trial transcriptions. The result is that the Devon Wills Project website has been set up, and already contains nearly five thousand index entries. It is to be found at:

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/DevonWillsProject/

Please go and look at this website - it is just possible that it already contains information that will be of value to your own personal researches. More importantly, please read the information it provides about our plans for the Project, such as the list of sources we intend to draw on and the transcription guidelines that we have formulated, so that you can determine whether and how you could help. (But please don't ask us questions concerning wills that you can't yet find in the index!)

Volunteers are sought for numerous tasks. These include:
- transcribing from information sources at various record offices and libraries (in particular in Devon and in London, and in LDS Family History Centres worldwide)
- editing of material that we've obtained from elsewhere in digital form
- photographing material in certain archives (in particular in the Devon Record Office in Exeter)
-searching (e.g. using the Internet) for information about Devon wills held in unexpected locations (such as distant county record offices), and searching for existing Devon will transcripts and abstracts, e.g. in published journals and books, and in individuals' websites.

Needless to say, the more people who step forward to help with this project, the sooner it will result in a resource that is of value to all Devon genealogists.

The two co-ordinators of the Project are:
Richard Grylls (in charge of task allocation)
Brian Randell (in charge of preparation of the index)
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Tue May 19, 2009 3:39 pm

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_ge ... roots.html

May 16, 2009
Scots Encouraged to Trace Roots

First Minister Alex Salmond has encouraged Scots to trace their roots with the opening of a genealogical research centre. The Burns Monument Centre in Kilmarnock is home to extensive family and history archives and literature.

It is hoped the newly remodeled Burns Monument Centre in Kilmarnock will make it easier for people to trace their family tree. The facility has had a £5m facelift and now brings together an archive centre, registration service, local and family history under one roof.

It is hoped the £5 million project will boost local tourism by attracting Scots living overseas who are keen to trace their family tree.

Posted by Dick Eastman on May 16, 2009 | Permalink ShareThisShareThisShareThis

Comments

I never thought I'd see Kilmarnock (Ayrshire) in the headlines. My Dunphy relatives were coal miners and steel workers in the area in the late 1800s and early 1900s. They didn't live like the dwarfs in _Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs_. They didn't come home to cute cottages. Here's a link that describes their housing http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/133.html.

The trip to Kilmarnock could be interesting. One would fly into Glasgow before making their way south to Kilmarnock.

Posted by: Bonnie | May 17, 2009 at 06:34 AM

There must still be quite a tourist market in UK for a struggling town to go to the financial trouble to attract tourists in this way. Regardless, it's a boost to the genealogical research community. I hope it also works well for the people of that area.

Posted by: Carol Menges | May 17, 2009 at 09:23 AM

I can find no indication that the Burns Monument Centre in Kilmarnock is searchable on-line. If it is, please give us the url.

Posted by: Bill Lyons | May 17, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I don't think the Burns Monument Centre is available .. The article did not mention any . access.

Posted by: Dick Eastman | May 17, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Kilmarnock--I've visited the town and area twice as I researched my Tannehill (Tannahill) line. My ancestors were from Kilmarnock and Paisley, with one Robert Tannahill being a poet of some note (there is a statue of him in Paisley, as well as his house). While in Kilmarnock, I was able to use the resources of the Dick Institute. Now I will check into the Burns Monument Centre.

Posted by: Robert Tannehill | May 18, 2009 at 09:59 AM
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Tue May 19, 2009 3:54 pm

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_ge ... added.html

May 06, 2009
FamilySearch Record Search Update: 2 Million Records Added

The following announcement was written by FamilySearch:

Two million new records were added to the FamilySearch Records Search pilot. The completed statewide deaths index for Alabama was published—over 1.8 million names. This collection covers deaths from 1908 to 1974.

Digital collections were added for Jamaica (Trelawny Parish Civil Registration—births), the 1892 New York Census, and Spain (Avila Diocese, Catholic Church Records).

These collections can be searched for free at the FamilySearch.org Records Search pilot http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html# (click Search Records, and then click Record Search pilot).

Collection Name Indexed Records Digital Images Comments
Alabama Statewide Deaths 1,858,819 New—Full collection, no images
Jamaica, Trelawny Parish Civil Registration Births 66,333 New—Full collection, images only
New York Census, 1892 19,634 New—Full collection, images only
Spain, Avila Diocese, Catholic Church Records 48,788 New—images and updated localities

About FamilySearch

FamilySearch International is the largest genealogy organization in the world. Millions of people use FamilySearch records, resources, and services to learn more about their family history. To help in this great pursuit, FamilySearch has been actively gathering, preserving, and sharing genealogical records worldwide for over 100 years. FamilySearch is a nonprofit organization sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Patrons may access FamilySearch services and resources free . at FamilySearch.org or through over 4,500 family history centers in 70 countries, including the main Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Useful Links