GALE- West Indies

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

GALE- West Indies

Postby magtree » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:03 pm

I am just starting on the Geneology journey.
Ruth Gale is related to John Lewis 1565-1605, from Claredon Parish.
The Ruth Gale that married John Vassell is one of my ancestors. I know he died in Jamaica in 1688. The Vassell daughter moved to the states and is one of my ggg grandmothers...

I am curious about their status as landowners, slave owners, craft/skills? I have little information but am putting links together!

Thanks! Maggie
magtree

Re: GALE- West Indies

Postby chriscod » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi Maggie

there's quite abit of info kicking around on the Gales since they were quite a numerous group at times.
Per Jamaica you will find a great deal by studying the eastern parishes...St Thomas in the east and Portland/St George throughout the late 17th 18th and part of 19th. I occasionally bump into members of the family in documents from those areas and they had associations with the Stokes (Gov Luke Stokes of Nevis led a large group of settlers from the leewards to the Morant BAY area circa 1658-60's. The Gayle-Gale family picks up many of their properties via marriage etc If you search A2A (Access to Archives) there is a Gale Family collection which is quite extensive. I forget where it is held but the basic indices are accessible via A2A
I'm abit rusty doing this right off my head but drop me a line and I'll see if i can stir some goodies up for you
Chris Codrington
CM Codrington
Researching Codrington and related families in the Caribbean 1640-1880. Family trade and business networks
chriscod

Return to Surnames G