HIGGINSON Family - St. Michael, Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

HIGGINSON Family - St. Michael, Barbados

Postby claymore » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:12 pm

Researching early 19th Century Bridgetown merchant John Higginson, of firm Higginson, Deane & Stott or Barton, Irlam & Higginson.
claymore

Deane - Barbados, St. Michael

Postby qfamily4 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:34 am

I noticed your posting about the firm Higginson, Deane & Stott or Barton, Irlam & Higginson. My Great Grandfather Harold Cyril Deane immigrated from St. Michael, Barbados in about 1906. His father Richard Adolphus Deane was born and raised in St. Michael, Barbados and I am wondering if he might have had ties to the firm you mentioned.
qfamily4

Higginson, Deane & Stott

Postby claymore » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:33 pm

Deane may be a fairly common Barbados family name. Deane in the firm name Higginson, Deane & Stott refers to Richard Deane who was the firm's resident partner in Bridgetown. He was born c. 1783 and was dead by 1864, spending much of his time in Bridgetown but also spending time in Liverpool, the latter main headquarters for the shipping business. I suspect that Richard Deane's brother was a prominent Liverpool solicitor named Edward Guy Deane, born c. 1791 and never, as far as I know, a resident of Barbados. Principals in the shipping business, Jonathan Higginson and Richard Deane were declared bankrupt in 1847 and I'm not sure whether Deane ended up in Barbados or back in Liverpool. Hope this information helps...
claymore

Deane's

Postby qfamily4 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:05 am

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. My Deane line goes back at least until the early 1600's and I have yet to trace when the family arrived in Barbados.
qfamily4

Return to Surnames H