PORTER - Barbados, Christ Church

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

PORTER - Barbados, Christ Church

Postby anton » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:21 pm

Tony Evans seeking information on John Porter who married Martha Hanna Starling August 6 1868 at Chapel of St. Augustine in the parish of St. George. John was a school teacher attached to St. Ann's Garrison, Christ Church. They later moved to India where they had a family of twelve. John died in India at the age of 47. Hanna returned to her native England. Lilian Porter their eldest daughter later went to Canada.
My Great great grandfather was Joseph Starling born 1810, London, UK. Lived in Christ Church Barbados from 1831 until he died 1875. He married Mary Ann Tait 28/04/1849. They lived at St. Ann's Garrison.
anton

Re: PORTER - Barbados, Christ Church

Postby kariw » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:20 am

Tony, these are my great great grandparents. John and Martha had only two children that we know of. My great grandmother Ivy Porter and her older brother Noel. Noel brought Ivy with him to the US, when he came to study at university in California. Ivy married Joseph Portello. They had three sons (we think one was given up for adoption during the great depression). Their youngest son Robert is my deceased grandfather. If you Google Noel you will still find a lot of info on him. He became the Archbishop of Sacramento, CA. I would love to hear about all the family history you have gathered. Thank you.
kariw

Postby anton » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:05 am

I have a photo of John and Hannah with their six children taken in India prior to 1886, just before John died.
My Great great grandfather was Joseph Starling born 1810, London, UK. Lived in Christ Church Barbados from 1831 until he died 1875. He married Mary Ann Tait 28/04/1849. They lived at St. Ann's Garrison.
anton

Postby kariw » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:24 pm

Wow, i am very new to the world of genealogy. I would love love LOVE to see the picture. Wow to me that is almost unbelievable you could find such a treasure. My great grandmother Ivy Porter never spoke of her family, and my grandfather thought his last name was Horn. Ivy remarried and Albert Horn raised him. When my grandfather went to work for the FBI they informed him of his true last name. The easiest thing to do was legally change his and his children to Horn so we are all Horns. Long story to say we have almost no contact with family because we don't know them. I have found a relative of Noel Porter's and she has sent my aunt some info. Trying to contact her. Anything I find out I will be happy to share. It looks like she has the memorial card from Martha Porter's funeral, a copy of Joseph Starlings will, baptism papers of Ivy's brother, full name Andine William Noel Porter (he went by Noel in the USA). and two medals John Porter wore. You probably have all this information. This is so exciting. thanks for getting back to me.
kariw

Postby anton » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:51 am

Thanks for the information. I put my email address in my last post but got my hand slapped as that isn't allowed. I correspond with Edith Bell one of your relatives in Canada, although I 've not spoken to her for some time now. Most of my Porter material came from Edith, see if you can communicate with her. One way or another you will get the photos. Hannah had eleven siblings. Three of her brothers settled in Australia after their parents died in Barbados in the 1870's.
anton

Postby bimjim » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:12 am

anton, email addresses are not permitted here for very good reasons - all to do with your own protection. I myself have experienced in excess of 6,000 SPAM a DAY (and rising) due to leaving my email address available to SPAMmers, and I would not wish that fate on anyone.

If you click on the "PM" button to the right of the Post by the user you want to communicate with, you will find that you can both send a Private Message and attach a file, such as an image. Or you could exchange emails by Private Message that way, but NOT in a Public Post on this Index.

Best regards,

Jim Lynch
Owner/Admin
CarSurDex
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby anton » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:22 am

Hi Jim,
Thank you for that

Tony
anton

Postby kariw » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 pm

Thanks, Tony, I tried finding ivy Porter's daughter, the one corresponding with my aunt... she died four years ago. Trying to find her children... you mentioned Edith Bell... is she a member of this site? Do you know how I can contact her? My Dad has really enjoyed all the information i have shared with him. I tried to figure out how to send this private so as to put my email in but cant seem to get it right. My Dad is staying with us for a month before heading back to Oregon... (by the way... he went to New Zealand 8 years ago... he LOVED it). Could you email the picture you have so I can share with him? If not I understand. Thanks :)
kariw

Postby bimjim » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:42 am

Seems you two may still be having trouble sending Private Messages...

To the right of every Post is a small square with a miniature "shadow bust" of a person, and next to it the letters "PM". To send the person who made that Post a Private Message, just click on the square and that will take you into the Private Message area of your User Control Panel with that user's ID already pre-set in the addressee field.

To make it even easier for you to get started with PMs, here are the same direct links...

Click here to send a Private Message to anton...
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&action=quotepost&p=1275

Click here to send a Private Message to kariw...
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&action=quotepost&p=5268

On a hunch I did also check kariw's account permissions, and that account had a minor hitch from the software - which I had been researching for well over a month and finally resolved and fixed last week. I re-set the permissions, and kariw should be able to perform all the normal Index functions now, including the Private Messaging.

I hope this helps...

Jim Lynch
Admin
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Surnames P