SENIOR (Richard) - West Indies

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Re: SENIOR (Richard) - West Indies

Postby EricD » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi
I'm pretty sure she was born in the West Indies because her father was a soldier serving on the island of St Kitts (see my posts of 19 Apr and 12 Oct 2015 under this heading). Who her mother was remains a mystery!
Eric Drake
EricD

Postby Sivam » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 am

Pauline, No more clues here as to why she was born in the West Indies. The only reason I can think of is because her mother Julia was resident there. Eventually hopefully new records will come to light. :lol:
Sivam

Postby Jennie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:31 am

Hi Pauline,
Julia Senior, daughter of Richard and Julia Senior born 1805 in Kent is my great great grandmother. I presume she is the sister of your Alice Senior born in West Indies.
Richard Senior served 11 years with 9th Regiment of Foot being discharged at St Kitts on 17/1/94. Both Richard and Julia died in Sheppy, Kent. Does anyone know what Julia's maiden name was or if she and Richard were married (probably were given the long relationship) and if so where, or any clue as to how to trace this.
Regards
Jennie
Jennie

Postby ValT » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:59 pm

Hallo I am new to this. I am confused about Richard also. Yorkshire sounds about right to me. And I did wonder exactly what took him to St Kitts. Until reading other posts I felt he may have Judith/ Julia / met in WI. I also did wonder if the name Judah which I have read myself in the records may have been an error of transcription. Alice Senior is my 3rd great grandmother . Her son Edward b.22/2/1824 is my 2nd great grandfather, and I descended from his son Edward William b. abt 1855. My mother Winifred, was the last of the Harwoods on her line.
ValT

Postby Sivam » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:08 am

ValT, I am also from Edward born 1824's line, we're hoping at some stage we'll find out more about Julia, i.e. her surname. :D
Sivam

Postby ValT » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:41 pm

Hello there

I have: Edward b. 1824 married Susan Harriet Frost. Then, I have Edward William b. 1855 as Edward's only child that I have found. Edward William married Ellen Maria Whaley. I have a lot of info about him if it interests you. His son was my grandfather.

Edward and Susan Harriet have been mentioned on here and I have some detail on them also, and I see others also have an interest. My aunt gave me a copy of their marriage certificate, so I know her father William was a Queens Marshallman, but I didn't know til today that Susan was a dressmaker to the Queen. I do believe they lived in Chelsea and so I did wonder if it was Buckingham Palace that would have been her workplace.

On the subject of Julia, it has only been today that I found that William was in the army and that Julia must have been married in Scotland to accompany him to the WI. I believed she may have been a local of St Kitts and therefore looking in the wrong place for her birth... seems she may have been Scottish.

Cheers Val
Last edited by ValT on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ValT

Postby Sivam » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:57 am

Interested in our family connection ValT. Edward and Susan also had a daughter, my gggrandmother, Alice Charlotte Harwood born 1852. I think there were other children too, I could check through my papers if you're interested.
Sivam

Postby ValT » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:01 am

So interesting Sivam. I would love to know of the siblings. Admittedly it has been some time since I referred to all this because I am no longer current on Ancestry.com, thinking I could not get any further. And the other day I was 'googling' and put in Alice Senior and this whole thing popped up.

I feel unless my facts are confused that Edward and Susan were quite comfortable. I have gleaned that he worked at the Palace and that according to what I read Susan was a dressmaker to Queen Victoria, and they lived in Chelsea- so better off than some of my other ancestors. And I think Edward actually left a will from memory. Some small amount for today's money but would have been quite substantial back then.
ValT

Postby Sivam » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:37 am

Valt, I'll plough through my papers, will get back to you in a few days. I too had a subscription to Ancestry, and that's where I found the information, I haven't got a sub at present. :D
Sivam

Postby ValT » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:47 am

Sorry Sivam, I was confused. It was Susan Harriet Frost's FATHER, William,who worked at the palace. I am out of Ancestry and couldn't check the records. I also have a copy of the marriage cert somewhere I believe...
ValT

Postby Sivam » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:07 am

Thank you, ValT, I found some of the Harwood children born to Edward and Susan.

Alice 1852
Edward 1854
Louisa 1856
Richard 1858
Frederick 1860
Catherine 1861
Emma 1863.

I think that's all!
:lol:
Sivam

Postby ValT » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:32 am

Thanks so much Sivam... Gee one child every 2 years... regular as clockwork... anyway, I have updated my database now and I do appeciate it.

Cheers, Val
ValT

Previous

Return to Surnames S