MAPOLON, GERGAMIN - Cuba, Guadeloupe, Martinique

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

MAPOLON, GERGAMIN - Cuba, Guadeloupe, Martinique

Postby Yami » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:28 pm

I am looking for relatives. Unfortunately I don’t have much information, and the little information I have my father gave it to me a few days before passing away so, I am not sure about the exact order nor the spelling of the surnames.

He told me that his dad came to Cuba in a boat (it remains unclear to me whether he worked in it or not) because my father mentioned that he (meaning his dad) met his mom in one of his trips to Cuba and ended up staying. He was originally from “Pointe a Pitre” , his name was Pablo Remond Mapolon.

He married (not sure if legally or not) Juana Moise Gergamin (she died in the 1940’s ) and together they had 5 children:
1. Pol
2. Susana
3. Marcela
4. Lorenzo (my father)
5. Valentina

Apparently they settled in the area of Baragua, near San German, provence of Holguin, Cuba.

My father took the surname of another family (he said to attend school at the time), he went on to study accounting and as such he traveled the entire island from sugar cane plantation to the next.

The surnames he took on (and the ones that I’ve known him most of my life by ) are HECHAVARRIA GERGAMIN. He never spoke to me of his father but I find it peculiar that he took on the last name of another man but kept the one of his mother “Gergamin”.

Both grandparents are said to be buried in a cemetery “Guiral” in Cueto, Holguin Cuba.

I don’t know if in the year my father was born there was any registration process, he was born on December 18, 1928. I also don’t know if he was registered with just his mother’s last names or with both and then changed it later.
Yami

Re: MAPOLON, GERGAMIN - Cuba, Guadeloupe, Martinique

Postby baltimore » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:04 am

Hi, I've just seen your post !

I'm from Guadeloupe, and from what I get from your post your MAPOLON should be read as MAPOLIN. There are plenty of Mapolin around pointe-à-Pitre.

As far as Gergamin is concerned, you have some around Le Lamentin (Guadeloupe) since 1848.

I would suggest that your father's name was Paul Raymond Mapolin (French spelling) and your grandmother Jeanne Moïse Gergamin (French spelling) !
Jean-Marie Arsène Baltimore, BALTIMORE, HUBBEL, BARDUS, CELESTINE, VIN, FRONTON, VALERIUS, CAIUS, ELIZA, and collaterals from GUADELOUPE, MARTINIQUE, FRANCE, BRAZIL, SURINAM, INDONESIA and the NETHERLANDS
baltimore

`

Postby baltimore » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Sorry about that but my previous post was wrong. there is effectively a Mapolon surname in le Lamentin (Guadeloupe)! I also found a few Gergamin there and I guess your greatfather could be in fact MAPOLON Paul Rosemond born in le Lamentin on 29 of september 1881. The birth certificate is #131 and dated October 10th 1881.

Paul Rosemond MAPOLON is the son of Coradin MAPOLON and GERGAMIN Marie Joseph. It should be noted that when he was born he was registered as GERGAMIN and was only recognized by his father on June 10th 1882 by Recognition Act # 73. I haven't been able to find out so far if Marie Joseph and Coradin got married further on

Marie Joseph had a daughter later named GERGAMIN Euphrasie Augusta, born March 18 1883 (birth certificate 29, march 27, 1883, le lamentin) but i haven't been able so far to find out if she was recognized by the same father.

Coradin Mapolon was the youngest of three kids (the other two are Ida and Victor) raised by Hector Mapolon and his wife Coralie Mapolon, both born in Africa respectively around 1800 and 1820

On the Gergamin side Marie Joseph (born 1862, le Lamentin) is the daughter of Joseph Gergamin and his first wife Luce Sabas. he had with that first wife another daughter born in 1864, Marie Victoire! But he married again Madeleine Gelabale and had a few children called GERGAMIN as well: Joseph Martin Gergamin, Céleste Clotilde Gergamin, Marie Bernadine Gergamin, Joachime Madeleine Gergamin, Saint-Clair Joseph Gergamin, Crépin Francisque Gergamin, Eloi Voldemard Gergamin, etc.

Joseph Gergamin has a brother 8 years younger called Saint-Jean Gergamin. their parents are Francisque Mathias Gergamin and Eliza !

Finally, Saint Jean also married Anne and had a few kids as well all with the Gergamin surname: Saint-Jean François Marie Emmanuel Gergamin, Anne Marie Elisabeth Gergamin, Pierre David Honorius Gergamin, Marie Madeleine Mamert Gergamin, and so on.

Hope this helps!

I wish you and yours a happy new year from France where I live! Keep in touch!

For any other question, I can have a look up for you at the archives from Guadeloupe until 1907. After that you can have the information direct from the city hall in Le Lamentin (Guadeloupe) or at the archives in Gourbeyre, Guadeloupe. I have put all this data and much more on geneanet. check it out!

Jean-Marie Baltimore
Jean-Marie Arsène Baltimore, BALTIMORE, HUBBEL, BARDUS, CELESTINE, VIN, FRONTON, VALERIUS, CAIUS, ELIZA, and collaterals from GUADELOUPE, MARTINIQUE, FRANCE, BRAZIL, SURINAM, INDONESIA and the NETHERLANDS
baltimore

Return to Guadeloupe