HAYNES, LOVELL - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

HAYNES, LOVELL - Barbados

Postby JHLovell » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:07 pm

Hello, I am interested in Ann Lovell, a freed woman, who was never married, but had children with Lt Gen Robert Haynes Lovell (first speaker of the house of parliament?), and who then migrated with him, his second wife and a blended group of children of both women, to Bath in UK after emancipation.

I would love to know where Ann was born, and who her parents were. It may be she was from Dummett's plantation? thank you
JHLovell

Re: HAYNES, LOVELL - Barbados

Postby claymore » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Let's stay in touch and compare information - 5th great grandson of Gen Haynes' eldest son, Richard Haynes, here, and I have an interest in Ann Lovell as well.

She died Bath 1876 and thought might attempt to locate her grave Bath Abbey Cemetery plus graves of daughter, Ann Cave Lovell Dummett and her husband Rowley Dummett.

Thanks!
claymore

Re: HAYNES, LOVELL - Barbados

Postby JHLovell » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:20 pm

Dear cousin of some kind,

Hi -

General Robert Haynes is my gr gr gr grandfather on my father's side. I have recently found that Ann Lovell's parents may have been Philip Lovell and Ann Lovell (born Ann Phillips). I've not found anything earlier than this for her - and they are Barbadians.

For the General, there is a run back to Chomley Elcock who appears to have died at St Josephs, Barbados circa 1700... through the paternal side of the General's mother, Ann Haynes.

On the paternal side of his father, Richard Downes Haynes, the family seems to have a tree in Barbados back to Robert Haynes in 1640.

Its a fascinating piece of history, and we have established Ann Lovell has a mixed descent heritage - presumably African at some point, as she was a registered as a freed slave - which I guess makes sense to her status as his defacto mistress?

Does any of this corroborate your information?

J
JHLovell

Return to Surnames H