SAYERS, John Tucker, SENIOR - St. Martin/St. Kitts

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

SAYERS, John Tucker, SENIOR - St. Martin/St. Kitts

Postby hill0788 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:50 am

Hi
This is my GG Grandfather. I only know that he came from St. Martins Island and married my GG Grandmother, Rachel Carr Vanhorn at St. Georges Church in St. Kitts, B.W.I., around 1830/1840.
Thank you.
hill0788

Re: SAYERS, John Tucker, SENIOR - St. Martin/St. Kitts

Postby krebsjj » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:03 pm

I am also related to them. Their daughter Julia RD Perkins is my great great grandma.
krebsjj

Postby Jennie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:47 am

Hi,
My great grandfather was Augustus Henry Edward Maxwell Sayers born 1826. He was a master mariner who shipped sugar and married Ellen Forbes Sutherland born in St Vincents. His parents were Edward Sayers, also a master mariner and Julia Senior whose father Richard Senior was in the 9th Regiments of Foot in St Kitts.
I feel there must be a connection somewhere??
Jennie

Postby Mike B » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:41 am

Hi,

I have just come back to the FH research on the Senior, Harwood & Lines etc. I note you are trying to find Julia Senior's otherwise known as Judith or Judah (once) maiden name. I have a death certificate from 1873 of her daughter Julia Sayers in which her parents are detailed ie Richard Senior a British officer (!) and Julia Senior mn (maiden name) N/K (not known). I have also located a paper doc in the British Library on which Mrs Judith Senior is listed as a godparent to one of her husbands fellow soldiers in the East Norfolks/9th Reg of Foot. The info comes from a West Indies baptism of the early 1790's. I believe Judith/Julia married Richard in Scotland pre their embarkation to the W Inies on the Penelope from Cork in 1788.

I also have lots of docs/photos/a painting. relating to the Sayers men, including a painting of the James Cruickshank. To finish I have also completed the direct and full genealogical line including siblings of the Harwoods back to 1623. A rough line going back to the 1550's is a work in progress. The Harwoods are from the hamlet of Little Munden in Hertfordshire. This is supported by an original paper record located in the City of London archives at the Guildhall.

Mike
Mike B

Postby Jennie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:33 pm

This is fantastic! I am Australian based. Is it possible to see a photo of your James Cruikshank painting please????
Regards
Jennie
Jennie

Postby Mike B » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:53 am

Attached as requested Mike
Attachments
James Cruickshank - Barque c1860+Edward Sayers (1796-1859) Service Record 1812-1851 (1).doc
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
Mike B

Postby Mike B » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:11 pm

Attached a photograph of Augustus Henry Edward Maxwell Sayers
Attachments
Augustus_Henry_Edward_Maxwell_Sayers_1826-1882_Picture_c.1860.doc
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
Mike B

Postby Jennie » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:36 am

Many, many thanks for the copy of the painting and the information. It is so amazing to have this family connection and may explain why I was such a keen sailor in my youth.
Regards
Jennie
Jennie

Postby Mike B » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:29 pm

Although the Sutherlands are not blood relatives I have accrued quite a few docs on them because of their marriage into the (Sayers)/Seniors line. Attached is a portrait of Robert Sutherland a great uncle of Ellen Forbes and three picture related to the Catherine the sister of Julia Sayers nee Senior.,
Mike B.
Attachments
Husband and inlaws of Catherine the sister of Julia Sayers nee Senior.doc
(828 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Portrait of Robert_Sutherland_relative_by_marriage_of_Augustus_Edward_Maxwell_Sayers_son_of_Julia_Sayers_nee_Senior (1).doc
(81 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Mike B

Postby Sivam » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:04 pm

Mike B great so see all the information and also the photographs I am downloading as I write.

I notice you seem to have researched to indicate that perhaps Judah/Julia was not West Indies born, or do you think she may have come over and then married in Scotland?

Thank you so much for the information, much appreciated.
Sivam

Postby Mike B » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi,
I have a list of the garrisons and dates that Richard was posted thereto. After he took the Kings Shilling at Norwich on the he was marched up and around Scotland from late 1783 to May 1785 and then onto to Ulster and Ireland in May 1785 to January 1788 before he embarked on in January 1788 for the Caribbean. After speaking to the national army museum and the 'Anglians' museum it was apparent that Richard would have had to married Judith before she could follow him to the Caribbean. The only alternative is that Richard married her in Nevis, St Kitts, Tobago,St Lucia or Barbados but I cannot find no evidence of their marriage in those places. I think the probability is that he married her in Scotland, Ulster or Ireland. When I get around to it I will check the churches in towns where he was garrisoned (3 places in Scotland & 4 in Ulster/Ireland). No registers for those towns are on line ie on Ancestry/FMP or the LDS.

Mike B
Mike B

Postby Sivam » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Really appreciate the information and look forward to any other research results you have in the future. Being on the other side of the world and having exhausted the paid sites and Family Search it's great to get any information, thankyou. :D
Sivam

Return to Surnames S