MAPOLON, GERGAMIN - Cuba, Guadeloupe, Martinique

Antilles Francaises - Guyane, Grenada, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Dominica, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Marie Galante, Les Saintes, St. Kitts, Nevis, St. Martin, St. Bartholemy, Haiti, etc.
Specifically for major differences in research methods and sources.
Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

MAPOLON, GERGAMIN - Cuba, Guadeloupe, Martinique

Postby Yami » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:28 pm

I am looking for relatives. Unfortunately I don’t have much information, and the little information I have my father gave it to me a few days before passing away so, I am not sure about the exact order nor the spelling of the surnames.

He told me that his dad came to Cuba in a boat (it remains unclear to me whether he worked in it or not) because my father mentioned that he (meaning his dad) met his mom in one of his trips to Cuba and ended up staying. He was originally from “Pointe a Pitre” , his name was Pablo Remond Mapolon.

He married (not sure if legally or not) Juana Moise Gergamin (she died in the 1940’s ) and together they had 5 children:
1. Pol
2. Susana
3. Marcela
4. Lorenzo (my father)
5. Valentina

Apparently they settled in the area of Baragua, near San German, provence of Holguin, Cuba.

My father took the surname of another family (he said to attend school at the time), he went on to study accounting and as such he traveled the entire island from sugar cane plantation to the next.

The surnames he took on (and the ones that I’ve known him most of my life by ) are HECHAVARRIA GERGAMIN. He never spoke to me of his father but I find it peculiar that he took on the last name of another man but kept the one of his mother “Gergamin”.

Both grandparents are said to be buried in a cemetery “Guiral” in Cueto, Holguin Cuba.

I don’t know if in the year my father was born there was any registration process, he was born on December 18, 1928. I also don’t know if he was registered with just his mother’s last names or with both and then changed it later.
Yami

Return to Research specialties - French West Indies