ALGARIN - Puerto Rico

las Indias Españolas Occidentales - Venezuela, Colombia, Honduras, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Trinidad, St. Lucia, VI, Dominican Republic, Cuba, etc.
Specifically for major differences in research methods and sources.
Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

ALGARIN - Puerto Rico

Postby flatlander » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:18 pm

I am researching my Spanish/Puerto Rico connections and have had very little luck, hoping to change that via getting my info out there! I have two relativlely rare and difficult names in my family Algarienes/Algarin and del Santo/de la Santo/del Santo y Marquez. My great grandmother was born around 1885 in either Spain or Puerto Rico. According to family legend she was born in Spain, orphaned at age 1 and sent to Puerto Rico where she was raised b her aunt and uncle. My great grandmother married an American solder (Carlton Meredith- a Quaker from Indiana) stationed in San Juan on Nov 1, 1899. On their marriage certificate she is shown as Casa Meda del Santo; her parents as Salvadordel Santo and Maria Algarin. On all other documents she is shown as "Amelia". Other than US Federal Census from 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940 I have no other information other than the birth of each child. She left Carlton in 1920, went to California where she re-married to Eli B Suttles (Ed Suttles as he was known to family). She died in Orange Coount, CA Nov 1967 and is buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery.

Here are my problems:
My great-grandma chronically lied about her age. She says she is 18 on her marriage certificate. She is shown at many different ages on the varioius censuses. The one consistency on the censuses is the column where she states she was 14 years old at first marriage. I do believe that since it is the one real consistency. She variously lists her parents as born in Spain, Puerto Rico and even France.

I have found a Salvador del Santo in PR records, born 1853 in PR. His father is shown as born in Spain and his mother born in PR. His mother was Casimira Marquez and his father was Bernardo del Santo. I have also found Salvador under the name Salvador del Santo y Marquez. Salvador marries at the age of 39 in 1892 to Tomasa Algarin y Rodriquez del Santo.

I find absolutely no reference to Maria Algarin/Algarin del Santo in PR or Spain. I find nothing about this Salvador other than the marriage, 1910and 1920 census and death registration (22 Nov 1929, Juncos, PR).

My theory is that the name CasaMeda may be a case of poor handwriting. If the Salvador above is Amelia's kin, could it be she was named Casimira after her grandmother?

Can anyone shed any light on this family???????
flatlander

Return to Research specialties - Spanish West Indies