HALL, MCEWEN - Grenada

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

HALL, MCEWEN - Grenada

Postby WendyP » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:07 am

I am Wendy Phillips, and I am searching for the parents of Sarah Hall, born in Grenada about 1775. She married David McEwen shortly after he arrived from Perth, Scotland.

Her parentage is possibly Spanish/Native American
WendyP

Sarah Hall

Postby NormanM » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:49 pm

I am a descendant of David McEwen and Sarah Hall through their son James McEwen. James McEwen's son Thomas Forsyth was settled in Australia by 1856. I also have family history going back to David and Sarah but no information about Sarah other than her name and family information shows her as a free mestee of Spanish Amerindian parentage.

My name is Norman Millard and I live in Queensland Australia. My paternal grandmother was the grand daughter of Thomas Forsyth.

We do not have any records to show that Sarah Hall actually married David McKewen only that she had two children to him - i.e. James - 1797 and Elizabeth - 1800.

Would welcome a contact from you.
NormanM

Re: HALL, MCEWEN - Grenada

Postby McEwen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:53 am

WE have never been able to find any data on David and Sarah marriage, i would welcome your reply
Camille
McEwen

Postby NormanM » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:16 am

To date we have had no successs with any further info regarding Sarah Hall's details. We had relations go to Grenada in mid 1990's and they searched as many records as they could at the time but there are no further details in our paperwork other than what we have mentioned regarding Sarah Hall. We are at a loss now as to how to proceed any further for more info regarding Sarah Hall??

Our records show that the year after David & Sarah's second child, Elizabeth, was born (1800) , David married Sophia Maria Palmer (1801), a widow who already had 3 sons. David and Sophia had 4 more children. - Samuel, Margaret, Archibald and Sarah. Sarah's life has been well documented from her education in Dundee, Scotland to her marriage in Jamaica to her eventual return to Grenada where she died in 1873.

David McEwen later entered into another relationship in 1813 with Florence Chateau which appears to be have a lasting relationship as they had another 6 children, Thomas, Mary, David, Felix, Louisa and Margaret. David McEwen was generous to his "natural born" (out of wedlock) as well as his lawful children who were born to a wife.

Sarah Hall and children James & Elizabeth were not mentioned in David McEwen's will.

James (David McEwen's son to Sarah Hall) was also attracted to the slaves and free coloureds and one in particular was Charlotte Nash (a Carib Indian slave) and she gave birth to two children, Frances 1822 and Thomas 25th August, 1825. I am descended from Thomas Forsyth McEwen who was named after an estate manager.

Less than a month after Thomas was born James signed a document freeing Charlotte (a female Cabress slave) aged approx 30 years and his two children.

What is your connection to the McEwens?
NormanM

Postby McEwen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:14 am

My husband s father is Alfred Ernest and his father Thomas William and his mother was Beatrice Giles, we are living in Townsville and I think we have met you at a funeral a few years ago in Innisfail

Camille
McEwen

Postby McEwen » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:24 am

On the LDS records James son David McEwen and Sarah Hall Free Mustee B 7-11-1797. Google definition the offspring of a white person and quadroon (a person who is 1/4 black by descent)
McEwen

Return to Surnames H