Edward HANKIN and Hope BORDEN - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Edward HANKIN and Hope BORDEN - Barbados

Postby DaleHank » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm trying to locate Edward Hankin who married Hope Borden (late of Barbados) on March 26, 1712. I have considerable information on the BORDENS of Barbados but not this HOPE and I have NO information on Edward. The record I have states:

SALEM MARRIAGES
HANKIN, Edward, of London, mariner, s. Roger, Deceased, and Hope Borden, late of Barbadoes, d. Joseph of Barbadoes, merchant, deceased, Mar 26,1712. C. R. 7.

It is possible that the son of Edward was named Thomas Hankins, who married Mary Clevenger at Burlington New Jersey. The marriage record of Thomas and Mary states that they were both "of" Monmouth County New Jersey. Thomas and Mary are direct ancestors of mine and Thomas is my "Brick Wall".

I also have considerable information on a Joseph Borden who was a merchant at Barbados during the late 1600's. He had a daughter named HOPE who died at a young ageand I have the record information of her burial. Although I have the family of Joseph Borden, a second Hope Borden does not show and I have not been able to locate any information on a Hope Borden who would potentially fit the marriage record of that Hope Borden and Edward Hankin.

The reason these two are so important is because of the ties to the FRIENDS (Quakers) in New Jersey and Virginia during the early 1700's. Family names of those who lived and inter-married during that period were BORDEN, CLEVENGER, PAINTER, BRANSON, HANKINS, SHARP and SKAGGS. After leaving Crooked Run Creek Virginia in the late 1700's, some branches of the HANKINS, SHARP, SKAGGS AND BRANSON familys moved to Tennesse together, continuing thier friendships and inter-family marriages.

Any guidance or suggestions on where I can continue this pursuit?
DaleHank

Re: Edward Hankin and Hope Borden

Postby DaleHank » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention that Crooked Run was a meeting house of the Hopewell Friends. Land at Crooked Run were used as a cemetery for the Hopewell Friends and that is the site of Thomas and Mary Clevenger Hankins burials.
DaleHank

Re: Edward HANKIN and Hope BORDEN - Barbados

Postby Annie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:17 pm

I have a brick wall with the Bordens, too, and would love share any information you have about Joseph Borden and his family.

It is possible that Hope is the daughter of Joseph and his second wife, Ann. In Ann Borden's will (1720), she leaves her property to her daughter, Joanna, and family, and to her son, Nathaniel. The earlier will of another Quaker, Margaret Brewster, mentions "the chn of friend Anne Borden, widow: Joseph Borden, Nathaniel Borden, Hope Borden, & Johanne Borden."

I've just started working on this line, but I will be happy to share anything I find. My husband's 3x great-grandfather is Joseph Nathaniel Borden, Sr., born in Barbados in 1835. He is the oldest confirmed relative we have for that line.
Annie

Return to Surnames H