HILL - Jamaica, Westmoreland

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

HILL - Jamaica, Westmoreland

Postby neil.spurgeon » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:07 am

Especially seeking descendents and antecedents of Thomas Hill and Ann Catherine Hill whose son Lieutenant Thomas Hill RN was born in Westmoreland in 1791 and died in Ireland in 1840. :cry: Regrettably I only know that he was christened in Westmoreland on 1st Dec 1971
Neil Spurgeon
Researching Hill in Jamica & Ireland, Spurgeon in Essex; Farley in Kent; any help gratefully received
neil.spurgeon

HILL - Dominica

Postby Hill » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:33 pm

Charles Hill seeking ancestry from Scotland/ Dominica
Hill

Re: HILL - Jamaica - Amity & Hope, Westmoreland

Postby neil.spurgeon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Further to my older post. I have just discovered that Thomas HILL senior, my 4th Great Grandfather, seems to have been quite significant in Jamaica at the start of the eighteenth century. As well as being the Proprietor of the Amity and Hopes Plantation in Westmoreland (any further information gratefully received) he was also the Captain of the Artilliary in the Westmoreland Regiment of Foot (the Militia) and served as a Magistrate and later as a Justice of the Peace for the parish. I propose shortly to summarise all my findings into a short story which will be uploaded to Ancestry.co.uk which is where my major findings are kept on-line and also to be submitted to the library of the Society of Genealogists in London. If you would like a copy and, especially if you can throw any light upon this family, please contact me.
Neil Spurgeon
Researching Hill in Jamica & Ireland, Spurgeon in Essex; Farley in Kent; any help gratefully received
neil.spurgeon

Re: HILL - Jamaica, Westmoreland

Postby grey » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Dear Sir, I wonder if you can help. Like your ancestor, my 3rd great grandfather served in the Jamaica Militia in 1784. From a poem I have found called the Anti Christ he is named in a dedication as one of his Majesty's Justice's of the Peace and Captain in St Catherine's Militia. I have the man's Will and Testament and know he owned slaves and property. I am trying to find out where he came from. From him to the present I have been able to trace all my ancestors Would you have any tips as I get the impression you have been doing this much longer than myself? Just to add that on returning to England around 1796 he worked with his brother in the law firm Shawe Shawe and Le Blanc Kind regards Graham Butler-Shawe PS he was a Solicitor
grey

Postby neil.spurgeon » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:29 pm

Dear sir,
I am sorry to say that your query raises an issue I have myself, namely the 'brick wall' of before Jamaica? I have absolutely no idea, and with a common name like Hill, no ralistic expectation of EVER discovering how these lower middle class families came to the West Indies. The general belief is that in the main they were probably younger sons of landed gents in Britain who took a little money and sailed off to try their luck in what was, in the 1720s - 1750s effectively the 'wild frontier'. A few will have shipped themselves out as overseers or similar but I don't believe in just 2 or 3 generations these ones would have been accepted as 'Gentlemen' critical for a career as a Naval Officer or Lawyer - so in direct answer to your question I can only suggest trying the rolls of some of the better public schools in Britain to maybe pick up a father or grandfather of your man. Sorry I cannot be more help

Neil Spurgeon
Neil Spurgeon
neil.spurgeon

Postby grey » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks for your very prompt reply. At least this "chasing around" keeps us all occupied!! Much obliged Graham
grey

Return to Surnames H