HOLDER - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

HOLDER - Barbados

Postby Chezzyp » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:00 pm

I have been told that 2 of my greatr great aunts married 2 Holder brothers: Austin and Frank (became Sir Frank). Sir Frank's wife (according to Tombstones Barbados website) was BERYL and she died in 1989 (born around 1898). If she was my great great aunt her maiden name was GASKIN and she came from Guyana. Does anybody know any more? Her sisietr could have been earla or Clarissa or maybe Edna.

Thanks a lot!
CPR
Chezzyp

Re: HOLDER - Barbados

Postby caramonica » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:29 pm

HI!

Beryl was my great aunt! I knew her and the last time I was able to go see her was in 1988. She was an amazing lady and quite a character.

She was indeed married to Sir Francis Holder. He worked in the Guyanese government, but later retired and moved to Beryls home country, Barbados. Beryl's maiden name was Blades, not Gaskin. She had been married before Sir Francis, and I think her first married name was Seale.

Beryl was the sister of my great grandfather Donavan Blades, who immigrated from Barbados to America when he was 11, I think. Beryl's mother's maiden name was Weatherhead.

Donavan had 3 siblings, Beryl, Cameron, and Daisy. You must come from either Daisy or Cameron, because she is your aunt, and Beryl's 2 sons died in early adulthood.

I am VERY interested in what other information you may have and where exactly you fit in to the family, as we are obviously cousins! Hope to hear from you soon!

Cara Blades
caramonica

Postby Chezzyp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm perplexed now as I said, I've been told that Sir Frank Holder was family by marriage and that 2 of my great grandmother's sisters married Holders. My great grandmother's maiden name was GASKIN (she was Elfrida Beatrice). She named one of her daughters Beryl (my grandmother) which is what made me think I was on to something when I saw Sir Frank's wife was also Beryl but somewhere along the line the information has been garbled. the rest all fits because my great grandmother, Elfrida Beatrice, was born in Guyana. I wish I knew more! I feel there's got to be a link but figuring it out at the moment is beyond me! If you think of anything do let me know.

All the best,
Cheryl
CPR
Chezzyp

Postby caramonica » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:32 pm

yes, that is an odd coincidence. i think maybe some of the info, like you said, get mixed up. Beryl was definately a Blades, but we are a little unsure of her first married name. we THINK it was seale.. maybe we are wrong? her second husband was sir francis for sure, because my dad and grandfather knew him. Beryl was my grandpa's aunt. do you have any weatherheads or dears in your family? they are also relatives on Barbados.. also, beryl and her siblings were not from guyana. the Blades family are all from barbados. sir francis however, was guyanese. i think he was the attorney general of guyana in the 1950's.
let's keep in touch and figure this out!
Cara
caramonica

Postby Chezzyp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:11 pm

I'm not sure they were Guyanese because there was much to-ing and fro-ing between Barbados and what was then BG apparently and my great-great grandfather, George A GASKIN was born in Barbados. I have no idea what his wife's name was or whether she was Bajan too,He was a tailor and that's all I know about him. There were 2 Holder sisters that I met as a teenager I believe and they were probably the ones called Clara and ?? Their family home was in Strathclyde, St Michael. This is where it all gets a bit fuzzy! I don't know of any Dears or Weatherheads; George A GASKIN's daughter Elfrida Beatrice married William George James Manuel EVELYN . I think you're right about Beryl being a SEALE previously. I've seen the name somewhere: the Holder family vault maybe? Will check it and get back to you.

Cheryl
CPR
Chezzyp

Postby stellarichards » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:06 am

I am trying to find my Great Granddad's parents, and ancestors. My dad was Oscar Holder, his dad was Juan, or John Holder, born in 1870. His Dad, my great grandad was John Holder, born abt 1840. John was dark, but my dad Oscar was even darker, which tells me the dark blood was from 1840 generation. I'm trying to find my Great Grandad's possible bajan ancestry.

Any info you have would be much appreciated!!
stellarichards

Postby LHolder » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:15 pm

stellarichards wrote:I am trying to find my Great Granddad's parents, and ancestors. My dad was Oscar Holder, his dad was Juan, or John Holder, born in 1870. His Dad, my great grandad was John Holder, born abt 1840. John was dark, but my dad Oscar was even darker, which tells me the dark blood was from 1840 generation. I'm trying to find my Great Grandad's possible bajan ancestry.

Any info you have would be much appreciated!!

@stellarichards Do you know the names of either wife of the two John Holders? We may be related.
LHolder

Return to Surnames H