Controversial - The Jewish pirates of Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Controversial - The Jewish pirates of Jamaica

Postby bimjim » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:30 pm

During 2016 the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation will be engaged in a number of new historic marker projects. Four are planned for the Caribbean - Surinam, St. Thomas, Nevis and Jamaica. Though none will be focused on Jewish pirates, all will be affirming Jewish presence and contributions in the New American world. Jews have been part of the American/Caribbean world for over five hundred years.

Were there really Jewish pirates? Perhaps....

Ed Kritzler wrote a heavily criticized book, Jewish Pirates of the Caribbean. A fun read all the same....

The JASHP was just in Jamaica doing preparatory work and saw the gravesites... but make your own decisions!!
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: Controversial - The Jewish pirates of Jamaica

Postby kewbird » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:52 pm

Hi Jim:

I am presently reading The Jewish Pirates of the Caribbean by Edward Kritzler. He seems to have done a considerably amount of research which is good, but I really question the title of the book, which I think is rather sensational, maybe to get readers? I'm only half-way through at the moment, but I'm impressed with his sources. Where I have disagreed with a lot of the stuff I've seen on Facebook about the book is the belief on some people's part that a skull and crossbones on a grave automatically means the person buried there must have been a pirate. This shows a lamentable ignorance of tombstone iconography. The skull and crossbones served as a "memento mori", an acknowledgement that death comes to us all. I sincerely hope that Kritzler did not base his thesis on this alone!

I'd be interested in your opinions of the book.

Dorothy
kewbird

Return to Jamaica