Birth & Marriage Certificates

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Birth & Marriage Certificates

Postby pam56 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:28 pm

Hello

I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to Jamaican research but would live to know which are the best sites to use to try and find a birth/baptism record and/or marriage records

Also I have found a marriage through the Family Search website which tells me date of marriage, spouse & both fathers and the parish (St Catherines). What I would like to know is if the actual certificate would give me more information such as ages, addresses etc. I have no idea where to find his birth certificate but I know that Arthur William HERMITT was born on 28th December 1919 in Jamaica and his father was Robert HERMITT. The marriage occurred in 1948 (Family Search) but no record of a birth on here.
Hoping someone can give me some ideas as to where to look etc.
Many thanks
pam56
England
pam56

Re: Birth & Marriage Certificates

Postby caquart » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:54 am

Hi Pam,

You have to sign up for an account with familysearch.org to be able to see the documents. It's free.

I don't think all the records are up yet, the indexing is still in progress. Keep checking back if you can't find the birth. It's also a good idea to try some variant spellings as sometimes the handwriting is a problem for the transcriber. I have found some very interesting spellings for my name.

Hope this helps.

Cathy A.
Attachments
hermitt.jpg
Researching the Aquart family: Martinique, St.Lucia, Grenada, Jamaica.
caquart

Postby pam56 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:58 am

Hello Cathy

Thank you. How kind of you to send me the wedding certificate. I thought at first it was one or yours and you were just sending it as an example. When I saw it was Arthur's I was over the moon, you have made my day. I didn't realise that you could sign up with family search and see the certificates. I wlll be busy today :lol:
Once again thank you.
Kind Regards
PAm
pam56

Postby caquart » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:20 am

Hi Pam,

Glad I could help out. Happy searching. It's a great resource.

Cathy
Researching the Aquart family: Martinique, St.Lucia, Grenada, Jamaica.
caquart

Return to Jamaica