Jamaica genealogist

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Jamaica genealogist

Postby Maxwell » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:02 am

Has anyone used the genealogists from this website? Can you talk about your experience?
Maxwell

Re: Jamaica genealogist

Postby Flower » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi Max I couldn't even access the web site.I also would love to get in touch with a trust worthy geneoligist in Jamaica.Let me know if you've had any luck.Thanks Flower
Flower

Postby bimjim » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Flower wrote:Hi Max I couldn't even access the web site.I also would love to get in touch with a trust worthy geneoligist in Jamaica.Let me know if you've had any luck. Thanks Flower

Flower, what web site could you not access? If you are Posting HERE you are already accessing THIS web site, and if you were trying to contact the one Jamaica researcher listed (Cynthia Rosers), her initial contact form is also on THIS web site...
http://www.caribbeanavenue.com/rosers/index.html

Whoever you communicate with, it is reasonable - and expected - that you get an estimate before you hire them. This will involve you telling them what you already have and what you are looking for, so start working on that now. Cynthia Rosers' contact form sets that estimate up in advance, so I suggest you do that now and send her the email.

I did have another Jamaica researcher here previously, but when I discovered her rates were that outrageous I removed her. Apparently, at some point the BBC asked her for some info, and she suddenly became a mega-star (with appropriately outrageous fees)!! I will not promote that kind of greed.

I am constantly in search of researchers in the Caribbean - their presence and anti-SPAM contact form here is also free of charge - so I'd appreciate you referring anyone you come across to me.

Thanks in advance...

Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator
Caribbean Surname Index
http://www.candoo.com/contactform/index.html
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Flower » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi Thanks Jim

I don't know why I couldn't access the site I was in on the countries list.

I did just fill out the info on Cynthia's site. I'll keep you updated.

I hope I can afford it. Do you have any idea what it should cost.

Thanks again Flower
Flower

Postby bimjim » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi, Flower...

Sorry, no idea on costs. Each researcher has their own way and reasons of charging for research - like everybody else, they all have different expenses - and mainly because I never had reason to do research in Jamaica.

But that's the reason for the initial request for an estimate - to see if you can afford it or not. Good luck!!

Best wishes,

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby SLevien » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Maxwell and Flower, I am a genealogist for Jamaica.

Nowadays, you do not need one for Jamaica since all the birth, death and marriage records are on-line for free on http://www.familysearch.org/. Anything above and beyond that then you can write direct to the Jamaica Registrars office.
SLevien

Postby Flower » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks for the information SLevien Flower
Flower

Postby Flower » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi SLevien My cousin did a t serch at family and sent me the information.It supplied us with more accurate information about my Uncle and his children and the names and dates of birth of their children and ends there,those birth dates are from 1875 to 1886.So Thanks again.I'll write the registrar's office. Excuse my ignorance but I don't see why they would help me. Chow!
Flower

Postby pam56 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi

I also found a marriage on family search but no record of a birth anywhere. :( The man in question was born in 1919 and the birth records go back to 1880 on there. So I was just wondering if all of the parishes have been indexed or only a few.
pam56
pam56

Postby bimjim » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:56 pm

There is an additional resource for Jamaica on Facebook... do a search for the word genealogy and the name of the parish, there you will find many people willing to help you on the ground - asking questions, perhaps even getting documents for you.

For instance, "jamaica elizabeth genealogy" will find you "Saint Elizabeth Jamaica Genealogy", and so on. Just substitute the different parish name for the other parishes.

I found them very helpful when I had a question.

**As always, beware of scammers when money is involved.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby pam56 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:04 pm

Hello

Thanks for that link def worth a look. Will let you know if I manage to find anything
Regards
pam56
pam56

Postby bimjim » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:31 pm

What was the name of the man in question who was born in 1919, and at least another name - wife or child... I will take a look at familysearch myself for you.

Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:44 pm

I can only find ONE Hermitt birth in 1919, here is the birth record... there is no first name, and the lack of a father's name on the record suggests either the birth was not in wedlock (illegitimate) or the mother did not want to disclose that information.

hermitt.jpg

There are three other births registered to a woman of the same name (Mary Hermit/Hermitt) in 1915, 1916 and 1923, none with either a first name or father provided.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby pam56 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi

Thank you. I have his birth as 28th December (from his grave in Lancashire) but who is to say that is correct info . Maybe born Nov baptised December and he couldn't remember. Is it "normal" for Jamaican births not to give name of child as I saw a couple of these on family search. Lovely to see a birth certificate anyway so I can see what they look like.
Kind regards
pam56 England.
pam56

Postby bimjim » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Can you give me his first name, please?
bimjim
Site Admin

Next

Return to Jamaica