DESLANDES - Jamaica,St. Andrew

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

DESLANDES - Jamaica,St. Andrew

Postby carlton » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Tracing family roots and origin - all help is welcome
I suspect the family may be French in origin/roots.
My Grand Mother was Ruthann Deslandes, she came from a area called Foxes River or Brandon Gate,St Andrew and married a Walton/Walter Barnes. Ruthann's Father was a Etelthred Deslandes- Foxes River(spelling could be wrong)and her mother was M Bryan(I think ?)
-------------------------
Carlton B
carlton

Re: DESLANDES - Jamaica,St. Andrew

Postby Sherri » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:25 am

Recently,I met someone in Jamaica with the surname Deslandes. It made me think -- I am from Trinidad and my mother's maiden name was DeLande. Do you think one could be a variation of the other?
Sherri

Postby NicolaWGW » Sat May 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi, my name is Nicola Watson, and I am Jamaican.

My mother's maiden surname is Dillon, and her mother's maiden surname is Deslandes. The information I have found about the Deslandes name seems very contradictory. It does appear to be of french origin, but I have also heard that Deslandes (which I thought was French) and Dillon (which I thought was Irish) are basically the same last name since Deslandes is actually pronounced "de laund" which sounds very much like Dillon.

This was something that might have been confirmed by my recent visit to Jamaica where a friend's mother told me that one of my grand uncles (surname Deslandes) was actually called Mr. Dillon in the community.

For more reference, my mother's side of the family lives in St. Catherine, near St. Mary, Jamaica... in communities called Glengoffe, Mount Matthews and even in Parks Road, rural St. Andrew.

Based on my research into the Dillon last name, it seems to be English (although there is some rumor in my family that it is Irish). I have found a lot of information about Dillons travelling from Kingston and St. Catherine, Jamaica to England in about the 1930s. I'd be happy to find out more if anybody knows anything.
NicolaWGW

Postby bimjim » Sat May 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Just for reference, there was a time - not that long ago - when reading and writing was not practiced by - or available to - the vast majority of people. Education of the masses is a relatively new phenomenon.

What prevailed was that educated people in the community - priests, government officials, and the like - performed all the functions which required the keeping of records and sending of messages.

So names were written down (spelled) in records based on what the scribe HEARD, which could have been changed considerably from the original because of a heavy accent or speech impediment - and the person would have no way of confirming that what was written down was correct because they could not read what was written. And every time a record was made the person's name could have been recorded with a different spelling.

The Mormons - the Church of the LDS, creators of the enormous IGI database - designed a very effective system called Soundex (the algorithm is easily available on the internet). This treats a name in such a way as to group all like-sounding names into a code - my name "Lynch" is L520 - and, unless the search form's Exact Spelling "switch" is selected, the IGI returns all names found with the same code. For instance, Lynch = L520 would also return (English) Linch & Lench, (French) De Lench, (Irish) Loingsang, and so on.

So unless you discover otherwise, brainstorming variations of your researched surname is a very valid approach (trying the IGI is a very good start), and you may discover some very wide variations by trying to track the origins back as far as you can, through all the possible nationalities and regions.

Good luck...
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Jamaica