GEORGE, Grenada

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

GEORGE, Grenada

Postby MWade » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:31 pm

Melissa Wade, seeking information on the surname George in Grenada. Eva George (great grandmother) & Seafast George (great grandfather).
MWade

Re: GEORGE, Grenada

Postby Peaches » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:53 am

MWade wrote:Melissa Wade, seeking information on the surname George in Grenada. Eva George (great grandmother) & Seafast George (great grandfather).

My great-grandfather was Charles George and his wife was Maude Belfon George. My gggrandfather was also named Charles George and his wife was Catherine George. Until recently, I thought the George family was just from St. Vincent, but I've just learned the junior Charles George lived in Grenada for awhile before they moved to St. Vincent, where his mother (not sure if father was still alive than) was. I know of other Georges (his children and grandchildren) who lived in Grenada on and off before going to the U.S. Since my great-grandmother was from Grenada and still has a lot of family there, I'm still trying to figure out what the George connection is in Grenada. Even his kids from his first marriage and their offspring have spent time in Grenada, so I'm starting to think the roots there are deeper than him just marrying a Grenadian woman.

So I'd like to explore this some more. Do you have any other names--perhaps your great-grandparents' offspring or your ggrandfather's siblings' names? I tried to do a search for Seafast, but couldn't find anything. I'm pretty sure the younger Charles George (my ggrandfather) had a brother named Theophilus George who lived in the U.S. and a sister named Robertha Sam who at one point lived in Trinidad. I also assume the elder Charles George had siblings as well. These are all blank pieces to the puzzle.

Shannon
Belfon, George, Findlay
Peaches

Postby bimjim » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:13 pm

reference the Seafast name ( and any others you may want to try), go to the IGI database
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... ch_IGI.asp
and search for your surname.

Now note the alternative surnanames that are returned - they would be produced by the Soundex software created by the Mormons for names that sound alike, are related or have the same derivative.

And I think you should be looking for other names for Seafast... like Sefus, Cefus, Seafas, Seafus, and so on.

Good luck...
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Peaches » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:00 pm

bimjim wrote:reference the Seafast name ( and any others you may want to try), go to the IGI database
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... ch_IGI.asp
and search for your surname.

Now note the alternative surnanames that are returned - they would be produced by the Soundex software created by the Mormons for names that sound alike, are related or have the same derivative.

And I think you should be looking for other names for Seafast... like Sefus, Cefus, Seafas, Seafus, and so on.

Good luck...

Thanks a lot for the pointers. I'm going to go to that Web site to plug in names. I see what you're saying about plugging in different name spellings. I have noticed some of my relatives names were misspelled in ship passenger lists.
Belfon, George, Findlay
Peaches

Postby bimjim » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:54 pm

Way "back in the day", the norm was that people could not read or write. So those who made or kept the records - priests, immigration officers, Colonial Secretaries, etc. - wrote down what they heard.

This is where the Mormons "Soundex" collection came from... Lynch sounds like Linch, and may even have sounded like Lench. Lynch in Soundex is L520, so it's good to find out what SOundex code your name is so you can be more effectrive in your research.
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Peaches » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:46 am

bimjim wrote:Way "back in the day", the norm was that people could not read or write. So those who made or kept the records - priests, immigration officers, Colonial Secretaries, etc. - wrote down what they heard.

This is where the Mormons "Soundex" collection came from... Lynch sounds like Linch, and may even have sounded like Lench. Lynch in Soundex is L520, so it's good to find out what SOundex code your name is so you can be more effectrive in your research.

I'll look into it. Thanks.
Belfon, George, Findlay
Peaches

Return to Surnames G