GALLIMORE, GENTLES - Bunker's Hill, Trelawny, Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

GALLIMORE, GENTLES - Bunker's Hill, Trelawny, Jamaica

Postby Gallimore » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:47 am

Hello,

I live in Canada and have been working on my family tree since summer of 2014. I am looking for information on the following individuals who are from the Bunker's Hill, Trelawny area:

1) My Great-Grandfather Thomas Gentles (DOB Uncertain). I found information indicating DOB: 1879 /Death: 1953, but I have no means of verifying if this is the right Thomas Gentles.

His son (my Grandfather) was Moses Augustus Gentles. Moses Gentles also had a sister named Ellen Gentles, later married and changed her named to Ellen Tharpe. I don't know of any other Gentles family members that I can use to locate anymore information.

2) Frances Eliza Gallimore - (DOB: 1883 / Death: ??). She was the spouse of Thomas Gentles and the mother of Moses Gentles. I have been able to locate the name of her father, Louis /Lewis Gallimore (DOB: 1857??) and her mother, Ann Elizabeth Gallimore (nee James) (DOB: 1860). Louis Gallimore's father has been listed on his Marriage registration document as Thomas Gallimore. Ann Gallimore's father is listed on the same Marriage registration document as Albert Newton James. If anyone can assist me with locating information on my Gentles and Gallimore family members it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Last edited by Gallimore on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gallimore

Re: GALLIMORE, GENTLES - Bunker's Hill, Trelawny, Jamaica

Postby GentlesBonetree » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:43 pm

Hello Percy,

My wife is a Gentles and I research her family on her behalf. Although I am based in the UK, I have many of the Jamaican side listed. However, although I have many Gentles with Augustus in the name, I don't have a Moses. Thomas is a very common name with the Gentles, so without a better idea of DoB it is difficult to pinpoint which one it is. Was Thomas born in Jamaica or did he emigrate? The only Thomas I have that was born in Trelawny, Jamaica emigrated to Scotland, but he married a Helen Munro and lived in Falkirk where many of the Gentles came from.

I have not been much help, but I would dearly love to know if there is another side to the family that I don't know about. If you do have anyone contact you that is aware of the connection, I would appreciate any information that you can pass on.

Thanks

Brian
GentlesBonetree

Postby Gallimore » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:54 am

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your reply. I was able to confirm through several sources (family, Birth & Death Certificates) that Moses Augustus GENTLES was born in Bunker's Hill, Trelawny in 1917.

He was registered at birth under his mother's maiden name of GALLIMORE. His mother's full name was Frances Eliza GALLIMORE, also from Bunker's Hill, Trelawny.

Moses Augustus GENTLES emigrated to England in 1961 and died in Lambeth, England in 1993.

Moses GENTLES also had a sister named Ellen Elizabeth GENTLES born from the same parents; Thomas GENTLES and Frances Eliza GALLIMORE.

In regards to Thomas GENTLES, yes, you are correct, Thomas is a popular name with the GENTLES.

As a result, I have not been able to find any "solid" information to identify the correct Thomas GENTLES.

There is a Thomas GENTLES that is a possible match, born in 1879 and died in 1953 in Bunker's Hill, Trelawny

I don't know if he was born in Jamaica, or if he emigrated. I am stuck at this point until I get further information.
Gallimore

Postby GentlesBonetree » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:37 pm

Hello Percy,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner.

I still haven't come up with any firm connection yet, although I have found the record of his death and the DoB shown on that is 10th Oct 1917. There are also a couple of marriages, both in Lambeth which might or might not be him. There is also a number of records of a Moses Gentles on the Electoral Register in Lambeth starting in 1960 in Concannon Road, but I am sure you may already be aware of this information.

I haven't been able to find the marriage between Moses' parents Thomas and Frances. When and where did this happen?

I mentioned the Thomas that was born in Trelawney, Jamaica but he emigrated to Scotland way back in the 1830's when he was a child. If there is a connection it would be descendants of one of his two brothers.

William Munro Gentles (1928-1903) who married a Catherine (unknown) (1825-1910) in Trelawney in 1857. I am only aware of one child they had and I have a succession of descendants down to a Victor William Hastings Munro Gentles and his wife Christiana Simpson who married in 1915 in Trelawney.

The other brother, Alexander Bolton Gentles (1834-1903) I have no history at all of.

So there is a possibility that Moses was a descendant of one of these two brothers, it is just that I cannot help you further. If you do manage to come up with any connections, I would dearly love to know of them as there seems to be a definite connection somewhere.

Regards

Brian
GentlesBonetree

Return to Surnames G