GENTLES - Scotland to Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

GENTLES - Scotland to Jamaica

Postby rmniven » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Hello,

Trying to track down any living relatives descended from John Gentles. He is my ggg grandfather who left a wife and 6 children in Falkirk, Scotland to take off to Jamaica with his brother William. While searching for him in Jamaica it becomes rather clear that there are two main branches of the Gentles surname. One, originating with William Gentles, is centered around the Trelawny area, and in particular Hampstead Pen. The other main branch, my John Gentles I suspect, starts off in St. Elizabeth, Jamaica but moves up to and around Christiana, Manchester, Jamaica area, although some stayed in Lacovia and Malvern areas of St. Elizabeth, Jamaica.

Also researching the following families that married female members of the Gentles family including Waite, Bromfield or Broomfield, White, Cox, Bloomfield and Logan to mention a few.

So if you are named Gentles, and would like to find out about your Scottish side of you family, or share your Jamaican side with me, please get in touch.

Thanks from Montreal
Ron
rmniven

Re: GENTLES - Scotland to Jamaica

Postby BMRC » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Dear Ron,

I am the daughter of Violet Russell (mother Esther Russell née Gentles) and Mervin Bromfield ( mother Evelena Bromfield née Gentles). Yes, they were first cousins.

Thanks to some second cousins from the Jamaican side I have my genealogy, but not for the side from Scotland - although I email Nikki Cunningham from time to time.

Jeff Waite and I Skyped before he passed and I keep in touch with his two daughters.

Betty Crosier née Russell
BMRC

Postby Mariposa » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:21 am

Hello,

Do either of you have links to a Gentle in Honduras or Belize perhaps with ancestors in Jamaica? I'm looking for relatives that immigrated through the Caribbean.
Mariposa

Postby keh » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:42 am

Hi

I am a descendant of Broomfields/Bromfields. Mine are in south Manchester, however.

I was told by my grandmother that her Broomfields stem from St. Elizabeth but she doesn't know exactly where. It will be a task I will have to take on. If you are aware of any Broomfields/Bromfields in south Manchester, feel free to message me.

Thank you
keh

Re: GENTLES from Scotland to Jamaica

Postby Rhea » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:32 pm

Hello.

I am from Malvern, St. Elizabeth. My gg grandmother's last name is Gentles. She had married a Cuban with last name Durrant.

They had a daughter Isabella Durrant, my great grandmother, married Stewart. I believe that my gggrandmother is possibly the daughter or granddaughter of John Gentles.
Rhea

Postby GentlesBonetree » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:06 am

Hello Betty Crosier née Russell.

My wife was a Gentles before marriage and like Ron, I have a fairly comprehensive tree of the Gentles family including the 2 brothers that seem to have started the Gentles name off in Jamaica. I have some details of the names you mention, but not all of the dates associated.

I have Violet (1912-1971), and Mervyn b. 1901, but no details of their marriage nor Mervyn's death. Nor do I have your DoB. I have calculated Israel's year of birth as 1887. If you are able to provide details of your tree, I would be grateful.

I have spoken to a friend of a friend that lives in Jamaica and who is over here visiting. She isn't a relative of my wife, but she is aware of some Gentles and she is hopefully going to contact some in the hope that I can add to my tree.

I hope to hear from you soon,
Brian Bone (UK)
GentlesBonetree

Return to Surnames G