FENTY - Barbados, Bridgetown

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Re: FENTY - Barbados, Bridgetown

Postby LoriP » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:06 am

Hi Frankie,

John's 3rd g-grandparents were James Fenty married to Elizabeth Catherine Todd. Their daughter, Julia Frances b abt 1832, married a soldier from the Garrison, William Bruce Reid, and left Barbados with him. So, maybe the Todd and Fenty lines? I am not sure how many common those surnames were.

On the marriage record (1828), James is listed as Jr., so I assume his father was also James Fenty. I couldn't fine Julia's baptism record tying her to them at birth, but they are listed on her death record.

I don't have anything further for them, other than baptism's I found which would be Julia's siblings (with a gap of 15 years she falls in). I would love to find out more, I have just found it a challenge so far.

For any possible cousins, John did dna testing, his results are on gedmatch (not that all distant cousins show as a match past 3rd-cousins).

Lori
LoriP

Re: FENTY - Barbados, Bridgetown

Postby Frankie » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi lori,

I think there is a very good chance that your James Fenty, father of James Jr, is the same James who is the brother of my relative (my 5x great grandmother Joanna) .That would make him my 5x great uncle! That would mean that your husband also descended from my 6x great grandparents, Sarah and Thomas Fenty. That is very exciting!. I am trying really hard to figure out when they or their parents or grandparents arrived in Barbados (I think it must be somewhere from the late 1600's -early 1700's) and from whence they came. My understanding is that the Fenty's in Barbados came from Ireland but I do not yet know which county they may have come from. (and I suppose they could have also come from another part of the UK)

There are a number of Fenty descendants still on the island (who we may be related to) and I hope to reach out to them to see if any know the story of their past.If I make progress there, I will let you know.

Also know that my ancestors left Barbados in the late 1800's and moved to Trinidad.

My branch of the family ultimately settled in the states. I am in the NY area.

Lets' keep in touch.

Best, Frankie
Frankie

Previous

Return to Surnames F