FRANCIS - Pondside/Black River, St. Elizabeth, Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

FRANCIS - Pondside/Black River, St. Elizabeth, Jamaica

Postby leaf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:21 am

Edmund/Edmond Isaacs Francis, the son of Arabella Palmer, was my gggrandfather.

He was born in 1832, and was married to Emma McKay (McKie). He was the father of Edmund Isaacs Francis and Hubert Isaacs Francis.

Mary Isaacs was also a forebear. They were from Pondside, but eventually settled in Black River.
leaf

Re: FRANCIS - Pondside/Black River, St. Elizabeth, Jamaica

Postby antoinette » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:57 pm

I Believe that all children of Mary Isaacs had the name Isaacs-Francis as their surname. Isaacs was not intended as Christian or middle name.

Another post idicated that Edmund Isaacs Francis born 1861 was the son of Mary Isaacs: however yet another post refers to two sons of Edmund Isaacs Francis 1832 by his wife Emma MaKay; Edmund (he would have been born around 1861)and Hubert. I do believe there is conflicting narrative/misstated facts.

In following the audit trail of the name Isaacs it is revealed that Isaacs existed prior to 1832; that would eliminate Mary Isaacs being the mother of Edmund Francis born 1861

CORRECTION MADE TO THE TIMELINE FOR EDMUND FRANCIS
antoinette

Postby leaf » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:18 pm

To clarify: both my greatgrandfather and his father were Edmund Isaacs Francis (not hyphenated). GGGrandfather was also spelled Edmond. My grandma had told me that Mary Isaacs was, I thought, her great grandmother. However I have since discovered that her great grandmother was slaveborn Arabella Palmer. Mary Isaacs was left and acre of land in Arabella's will. It did not state how or if they were related.

So we have:

Arabella Palmer
I
Edmond Isaacs Francis (tinsmith) m. Emma McKay
I
Edmund Isaacs Francis (goldsmith) m. Flora McKenzie

I no longer believe that they lived in Pondside. I would love to know how both the Isaacs name and Francis name came about.
leaf

Postby antoinette » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:03 am

The narrative instilled in me as a wee child is that the first Francis to Jamaica, who belonged to this family, migrated from France, his wife was an"Isaacs' (German descent) hence the hyphenated Isaacs- Francis (this was also the custom of the the Spanish), however along the generational timeline the hyphen was overlooked and the name reverted to Francis. Speculatively Hubert was the first to build his home in Pondside...that was after being married many years and actually lived in a different village/town.
antoinette

Return to Surnames F