ISAACS - Jamaica-St.Elizabeth-Pondside

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

ISAACS - Jamaica-St.Elizabeth-Pondside

Postby leaf » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:11 am

My forebear was Mary Isaacs. Her son,Edmund Isaacs Francis, b. 1861, was my gggrandfather. Any Isaacs in the Pondside area?
leaf

Re: ISAACS - Jamaica-St.Elizabeth-Pondside

Postby antoinette » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Is he the Goldsmith?
antoinette

Postby antoinette » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Mary Isaacs I believe was German or German descent (Francis was French...Francois); Most Germans resided in GermanTown, St Elizabeth????
antoinette

Postby leaf » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Correction:

Arabella Palmer was Edmond Isaacs Francis' mother. He was a tinsmith
His son Edmund Isaacs Francis was a goldsmith.
Mary Isaacs was given an acre of land in Arabella Palmer's will.

I do not believe they lived in Pondside, but in the Black River area.

German Town I believe was in Westmoreland.
Several Isaacs lived in St. Elizabeth.

Thanks for your interest antoinette.
Do you have any more info on the St Elizabeth Francis family?
leaf

Postby leaf » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Edmond Isaacs Francis was born in 1832.
His son Edmund Isaacs Francis was born in 1861.
leaf

Postby antoinette » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:10 am

AN ARTHUR FRANCIS ISAACS IS MENTIONED IN THIS MISSIVE;

SHOULD YOU DO A SEARCH ON CHARLES EDWARD ISAACS YOU WILL PROBABLY FIND THIS LETTER.

THIS IS JUST AN ABRIDGED VERSION OF A LETTER RELATIVE TO ISAACS IN ST ELIZABETH. HISTORICALLY FRANCIS IS SAID TO BE A SCOTTISH NAME AND MOST OF THE SCOTS LANDED IN TREASURE BEACH. FRANCIS AS A MIDDLE NAME IS NOT UNUSUAL, HOWEVER IN THIS INSTANCE IN ASSOCIATION WITH ISAACS. I FIND IT SIGNIFICANT!

I BELIEVE THE BENTS STILL RESIDE IN SOUTHFIELD, THEY HAVE A FUNERAL HOME.

About the Isaacs of Jamaica: Charles Edward Isaacs, born in London in 1856, came to Jamaica where other members of his family had estates. Unfortunately, Charles was not the first son, and thus not the power or wealthy heir and son of Asher Isaacs( listed in Charles birth certificate as 'a gentleman.) and Charlotte Jane Thornthwaite. Asher, (also born in England,) your g g g grandfather was in Jamaica around 1840's and the land records show that he owned several slaves and several acres (called a Pen) on which he raised animals (horses, I think).

His land was near others of the Isaacs family in St. Elizabeth's Parish in an area of Southfield called Queensbury. We are talking about the south eastern coast of Jamaica. Nearby are: Treasure Beach, Alligator Pond, Black River, an estate called Tryall and Top Hill, Font Hill, White House, Arcadia. All of these places along with a church (Anglican???) called St. Marks were written about in letters from your grandfather, Charles' son, Arthur Francis Isaacs. Recently I found information that the Bent land and the Isaacs land adjoined.

When Charles came to Jamaica, he met in Southfield, a woman named Annie Bent. All I know of her is that she was your gg grandmother. I assume that she was born in Jamaica and was probably the daughter or granddaughter of Bernard or William Bent. The Bent's were Scotsmen who settled in the area in the early 1800's or late 1700's. One of the Bents was quite a ladies man, or so I've read on the message boards about Jamaica. He was said to have over 100 offspring- legitimate and otherwise. I have come to assume that our Annie Bent was born of a tryst between the oft coupler or one of his offspring and a slave of his. I do think, given the Isaacs/Oberg womens' propensity for a generous rear "shelf" and the kinky hair that appears in the offspring, that our Annie was probably an octoroon, quadroon, or mulatto. It simply makes sense knowing the history of the area and the fact that many revolting ' Maroons' are from that area of St. Elizabeth's parish.

There was also a letter urging Arthur (from his father) not to return to Jamaica as he was advised , "you have made a good life for yourself there. (Was this maybe a hint that Arthur had 'passed?' Maybe. Also economically, this part of Jamaica was not affluent. Lots of poor growing periods, I guess.

Whether they married or just lived together, I don't know. I do suspect that Annie and Charles never officially married because one of Arthur's brothers, Charley, was listed as Charles Bent in Charles Edward's will. I have a copy of that dialog. In the letter, the solicitor said that Charles Edward, of England left a small sum to Charles Bent, but none to his other son as the father felt that Arthur was well off and in Washington, D.C. with a daughter who was an attorney (Columbia University/Catholic University) This was stated in 1944 upon Charles Edward's death. In another letter, there was mention that Charles Edward had another family in Jamaica and money was left to them and to the family in England. Maybe old Charles had multiple families? Other children of Annie Bent and Charles Edward Isaacs were: Lily, Arthur, Charles, Julia, Daniel and Theodore who both died at very young ages. Arthur, or Pa to us had a step brother who Bee and I were in contact with around 1970, Cleveland Staple.

Lucky for all of us, quiet Arthur left in 1903, and eventually met May Chamberlain at the Chamberlain Dance studio on Eye Street in Washington, D.C. May was lively and fun and made a terrific grandmother and a nice match for Arthur. He settled there, and never returned to the land of his birth. Pa was a waiter at the Ritz Carlton in Washington D.C. (16th Street NW). After remaining quiet for almost 30 years he made contact with his family in Southfield and thus began the correspondence from which I gleaned this information. I hope all of you will peruse the 'Antonio Y Cleopatra' cigar box with its treasure trove of letters and Christmas cards from the early 1900's. Annie Bent was alive at that time Arthur finally wrote to his family at May's urging, for a letter from his brother said that Annie wept when his letter was received, as they all thought he had died.

So are there any messages here? 1. Listen when old people talk about their families and write it down. 2. Things are not always as they seem. 3. In your will, leave equal amounts to all of your offspring, for that is fairer. The industrious shouldn't be punished for being thus. 4. God has a funny sense of humor. 5. Always write to your mother and auntie.

Names of neighbors repeated in letters and in message boards include: Bromfield, Forbes, Fraser, Parchment, Powell.... Member of the Southfield community and nearby areas probably married each other. I do think one of Lily's children married a Powell and that is probably how we're related by marriage to Colin. So you three should begin your own research and now you have something to offer when you play "Jamaican Geography with someone from Jamaica.

Print this for your records. God only knows what Arnie will do with this copy.

Love, Mom/Ann

--

The fact is, that despite their Jewish name, the Isaacs family actually converted to Christianity in the late 18th Century and became Anglicans.

Several members of the Isaacs family are therefore buried in the churchyard of the old Anglican Church at Stanmore, near Mallvern. Other members of the Isaacs family are buried in the churchyard of St. Mary's Anglican Church at Northampton in St. Elizabeth.
antoinette

Return to Surnames F