FORD - Jamaica, St Elizabeth

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

FORD - Jamaica, St Elizabeth

Postby lillie79 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:27 pm

Hi there,

I am a descendant of Ernest Ford. His parents were John Ford and Mary Lawrence they married in St Elizabeth on 23 Novemner 1847.

Ernest was one of 11 children found he was the youngest found so far, born 18 March 1872 in Brinkley, St Elizabeth. He married in 1902 at St Stephen`s Church in St Elizabeth. Source: S Tomlin

His brothers and sisters are;
Oscar (b 1848); Jane Margeret (b 1850); henry (b 1853); Ada (b 1855); John Felix (b 1858); Jacob (b 1861); Esau (b 1861); Isaac Daniel (b 1863); James Emmanuel (b 1866); Frederick Albert (b 1868) and Ernest (b 1872). Source: Robin Michelsen via email

The siblings were successful for the time they travelled abroad, worked as penkeeprs, storekeepers etc. They appear to have enjoyed a "lavish" lifestyle. Henry and some of his children travelled to the US, 3 appeared to have settled there. Some of Oscar`s children worked in education a couple became schoolmaster and schoolmistress. Source: S Tomlin

As regards the parents of John and Mary the lineage is still being investigated.

I do hope that this was useful. If there are any information that you could supply regarding the names of the children born to Ernest and Ada Ford would be greatly recieved.
lillie79

Postby fordiep » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:16 am

Hi,

Oscar Ford, Ernest's eldest brother, was my great grandfather.
My Aunt had given me most of the names of their sibling, from memory;
she also claimed that their father John was the son of William Ford and a former african slave.
I was wondering if you were able to find more info on John's ancestors.
My research suggests that he was the son of John II Ford (b:circa 1790) who was married to Margaret Blake (b:1796). John II, his brother William (b:1786) and sister Mary Ann (b:1788) were property and slave owners in the parishes of St Elizabeth and Manchester (1818-1840). They were the children of John I (b:1753) and Hannah Burton.

PS: My grandfather, Rufus Alexander Ford (b:1888) was indeed a strict schoolmaster and had 13 children.
fordiep

Fords of St Elizabeth

Postby lillie79 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:21 pm

Dear Fordiep

You are right the information of the links were researched by myself and another cousin some years ago.

The records show that John Ford, son of Oscar is the 4th child born to Oscar. Rufus was born with the name Rufus Alexander Ford in Brinkley, St Elizabeth. Yes he was a schoolmaster in Manchester, he married a schoolmistress. Thanks for the information that suggests he had 13 children.

Oscar was also kn own as Oscar Charles Ford, he was a shopkeeper when his children were born. An occupation of high status at the time. His brothers were also owners of land, their trades varied. One was the owner of a post office by 1885.

John II, William and Mary Anne owned less that fifty slaves therefore were not large traders of this horrendous trade of slaves.
lillie79

Re: FORD - Jamaica, St Elizabeth

Postby fordesau1861 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:34 am

Dear Ford Descendents,
I am the Great Grandson of Esau Alexander Ford who was born 04th Jan.1861. Be advised that Esau Alexander Ford is also registered as Eustace Alexander Ford by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-saints. Esau Alexander Ford and Jacob Edward Ford born 04th Jan.1861 are obviously twins. My father Cecil Herbert Augustus Simpson(Esau Alexander Fords Grandson was born 15th Aug.1926 to Esaus daughter Ada Emily Euphemia Ford who was born in 1889 in Lititz, Saint Elizabeth, Jamaica. Adas siblings are: Maude, Clementine and Charles. (all deceased). My Great Grandfather Esau Alexander Ford married my Great Grandmother Julia/Julie/Julianne V.A Witter. I have a treasured photo of my Great Grandmother Julia/Julie/Julianne, but unfortunately, I have not been able to trace her, but my father advised us as children, that G.Grandmother Julia/Julie/Julianne was related to the family Parchment & Lynch. The Ford & Witter stronghold in Jamaica was in Brinkley, Saint Elizabeth. Great Grandmother Julia Witter was caucasian

My Grandmother Ada Emily Euphemia Ford (Retired Headmistress of Top Hill School in Clarendon, Jamaica) married the Rt. Reverend Henry Herbert Simpson "FVCM Lon" in 1916. Grandfather Henrys father July Simpson was African and his mother Paulina Watt was a Mulatto. My Grandmother Ada Emily Euphemia Ford had six children with my Grandfather Henry Herbert Simpson. The siblings are: Melville, Pearline, Eileen, Cecil, Serena and Lloyd. The surviving siblings are my father Cecil residing in Canada and Serena residing in New York. My Father also advised us siblings that Grandmother Ada confirmed that our Ford descendents are directly related to Henry Ford, the founder of the Ford Motor car company. I am hoping that lillie 79, fordiep and searchaddict1 will respond to my contribution to our Ford descendents. I am anxiously looking forward to communicating with all my Ford descendents to complete our Family Tree which I have been researching for the past twenty years. I reside in Orlando, Fl and will make every attempt to meet with the Ford descendents who are currently residing in the USA. I previously resided in Streatham, London but will remain in the USA until further advised.

I
fordesau1861

Postby fordiep » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi fordesau1861,

Thanks so much for sharing your info.
Both lillie79 and myself have sent you private messages via the forum. If you did not get these messages, then feel free to contact me HERE.

Best Regards
fordiep
fordiep

Postby fordesau1861 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:55 am

Hello HIGHOPES4,

Ernest Ethelbert Ford was the youngest of 11 siblings born to John Ford III and Mary Neif Lawrence, John Ford III and Mary Neif Lawrence were married on 23rd Nov.1847, my cousins and I welcome you to the forum and we look forward to sharing our ancestry with you. I am the Great Great Grandson of Esau Alexander Ford born 4th Jan 1861. Esau was the twin brother to Jacob Edward Ford.

Ernest Ethelbert Ford was born 18th March 1872 in Brinkley, Saint Elizabeth Jamaica. Ernest married Ada Elizabeth Clarke on 02nd July 1902 at St. Stephens Church in Nain, Saint Elizabeth. I hope this info will assist you in confirming who your descendants are.

You mentioned that Ernest is your Grandfather. To confirm this fact, please advise your year of birth.

FYI
The Father, Grandfather (John Ford II) and Great Grandfather (John Ford I) of John Ford III were descendants of Irish immigrants.

Best Regards

Fordesau1861
fordesau1861

Postby lillie79 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Dear highopes4

As fordesau1861 states Ernest married Ada Clarke in 1902, she then was aged about 28 years old at time of marriage, indicating she was born circa 1874. Sorry to say it is unlikely that she was your grandmother.

Alot of your Ford ancestors were hardworking people, they were mainly as business people. Yes they tended to be of light-skinned appearance due to the paternal lineage and maybe that of mother too. One of Ernest`s brother ran and owned a post office as well as other businesses, the others were shopkeepers (usually owner and proprietor of the premises), pen keepers and tailor. they appeared to be mainly of Moravian faith.

In previous messages posted in this forum, the lineage is outlined of the siblings of Ernest Ford as well as info on his ancestors.

Hope that this has been of some use. Please feel free to ask us any further questions that you may have.
lillie79

Postby lillie79 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:21 am

Hi highhopes4

Thank you for clarifying the curcumstances. I will look into the date of death and get back to you as soon as possible. It does sound plausible that his date of death had most likely occurred after 1930 as I have researched the dates up to 1930 and there is no deatils for the death of Ernest.

Take care :)
lillie79

Postby Michelle » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:35 pm

Four generations of men in my family are named Ernest Ford. I am the daughter of the last. However, we are from Guyana. I am wondering if there is any relation to the Fords of Jamaica. My father Ernest Mark married Audrey and my grandfather Ernest David married Yvonne.
Do any of these names sound familiar to you?
Michelle

Postby fordiep » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi Tina,

I sent you a pm last week; please post a reply here, if you see this, and then I'll try to send you another message with my contact info.
DNA testing points to English ancestry. Also there is evidence of Fords being in St Elizabeth/Westmoreland from as early as the 1670s.

Best Regards
pf
fordiep

Postby FabFord » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi, my name is Fabian Ford and my grandfather was John Felix Ford (1858-1936) who married Alice Maud Johnson of Great Bay. I am the second youngest of John's Grandchildren. I am presently doing a family research which I hope to publish in a book form soon. I have gathered a lot of info on the Ford family but I need to confirm some of it. I have not found much on James Emmanuel Ford , Jacob and Isaac Daniel. If anyone out there have any info that you think might be useful please contact me
FabFord

Postby lillie79 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Hello Fabian

It is good to hear from another relative. I too am a Ford by way of my paternal grandmother and great-grandmother from St Elizabeth, Nain,Brinkley , Chocolate Hole etc.
We have other relatives that have been supportive in sharing information. Please do keep in touch.

Sharon
lillie79

Postby FabFord » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi Sharon! would your surname happen to be Tomlin? I know of a Anna Ford who married a man from Manchester and went to live in Belcarres Clarendon. Some of her relatives happen to be Tomlins. Who were your great and great-great grandparents?
FabFord

Postby lillie79 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:33 am

Hi Fabian

Yes it is!!! This is exciting!! I am really pleased that you are familiar with my great-grandma. Her grandson is my father from Belcarres. Amazing!! We have to keep in touch.

Have a great day
Sharon
lillie79

Postby lillie79 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:35 am

My great grandparents were Matilda and Hubert Tomlin and Anna Ford.

Sharon
lillie79

Next

Return to Surnames F