BARBADOS to South Carolina

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

BARBADOS to South Carolina

Postby KarenK » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:52 am

I've recently learned that some English colonists in Barbados went to South Carolina around 1670 and I'm trying to learn if my ancestors were in that group. I read that South Carolina was essentially a colony of a colony! If anyone knows more about this topic or where I might find records (names, passenger lists, etc.) I would greatly appreciate hearing from you! Thanks so much, Karen, Arlington VA
KarenK

Re: BARBADOS to South Carolina

Postby Evey » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:37 pm

Hi Karen,
I have been trying to find similar information, I believe people also went to Maryland from Barbados around that time. There is a document/book called The Original Lists of Persons of Quality 1600-1700 that might be helpful. If you search you can find in digital format and download.

I have traced my family member, Darby Sullivan(t) to Barbados and then he shows up in Bath, NC per his will. I'm having a devil of a time finding the information that would show his travel from Barbados, he would have been a child and possibly went to Maryland or South Carolina.

If you find any good information, please share!

Thanks,
Evey
Evey

Postby KarenK » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:28 pm

I found my ancestor Benjamin Andrew received a land grant from the SC Lords Proprietors in 1673, I found that in a book Warrants for Lands in South Carolina 1672-1711 compiled by AS Salley. The grant was signed by Sir John Yeamans, a wealthy Barbadian planter who was recruiting colonists for SC. That book is digitized and you can download it, maybe you could find someone with that surname in that book. I'm trying to find how/when my ancestor got to Barbados. I did check that Bristol list but nothing! I've learned that a lot of Scots were sent as indentured servants between 1650-60 after the English put down a Scottish rebellion, they sent the captured soldiers there to work rather than imprisoning them. I'm surprised a child would be coming from Barbados because there were very few families there, mostly just men working, not many women. I read a good book about Barbados and emigration, Sugar and Slaves, by Richard Dunn. It helped me learn a lot about who was there and who came here!

Would love to hear from you if you learn more! Karen
Last edited by KarenK on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KarenK

Postby chriscod » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:31 pm

Hi all.
Its actually even a bit more complicated than that. South Carolina had several early Governors who had Barbados, Antigua or Leewards properties. Middleton is an example, Yeamans another. A substantial group organized a "transplant" enticing many indentured servants who knew they could not look forward to any acreage on completion of their contracts. There were many movements from island colony to island colony during the mid 1600's to 1700. Chris Codrington and his brother John mortgaged their Barbados estates to invest in Barbuda and Antigua 1660-1680 and encouraged settlement in the Leewards. As good land was taken up and developed, prices ballooned and locked out the middling and small planters or those trying to get in. It was in essence a development boom being fueled by a development model which was found to be successful: sugar plantation. The rush to get every inch of arable land turned to sugar or provisions drove the game towards Jamaica and the mainland colonies. Jamaica began in 1655 when Penn and Venables expedition came through Barbados and the leewards to invade Hispaniola and having failed miserably, took Jamaica as a consolation prize, on the way, the expedition stopped at Bridgetown Barbados and a few other islands enlisting anyone willing to join (many servants did) including a young Harry Morgan.
Despite its size and fertility, Jamaica was very slow to develop stable plantations due to a focus on raiding the Spanish (privateering) and trade to the Spanish in slaves and much needed supplies. As Antigua and the leewards finished up encouragements to move to the mainland and (about 1666)Jamaica increased. Middleton, Yeamons, Martin, Johnson(Gov St.Kitts) and others organized transfers to South Carolina where indentures were guaranteed land bonuses on end of contract. In 1720 the Maroon problem in North and Eastern Jamaica had improved and the Gov Council moved to redistribute land undeveloped there by patent grants to "white settlers or artificers" and their families. A large number of these families were actually the younger sons and daughters of planter families from the older island colonies who knew from the inside what was there and what was worth grabbing. It is all very much like a smaller version of what was about to take place in mainland North America.
CM Codrington
Researching Codrington and related families in the Caribbean 1640-1880. Family trade and business networks
chriscod

Postby bimjim » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:35 pm

I have "The Original Lists of Persons of Quality 1600-1700" - known as "Hotten's Lists" - as well as the subsequent publication titled "Omitted Chapters from Hotten's".

For Evey, there are seven Sullivant names in the Index of LIsts and eight entries of various versions of the name in the index of Omitted. Unfortunately, none have Darby as a first name. There are Sullivan in all three Volumes of Oliver's "History of Antigua", but no Darby.

For Karen, give me some names and I will do a lookup for you in the reference books that I have.

Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Evey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the information! I have found in Barbados Church Records 1637 - 1887 Darby Sullivant born on 4/11/1669 to Owen and Catharine Sullivant in Christ Church. There was another Darby born a year earlier. I am not even sure if either one of these is my Darby, but the birthdate would match. So maybe the parents are listed in Hotten's Lists since Darby (both of them) was born in Barbados?

I am looking for the other Darby that was born to get parents names. Maybe you will see them in Hotten's Lists? I don't have the subsequent publication but have heard of it. When you have an opportunity, can you please see if you find an Owen and Catharine Sullivan(t)?

The other Darby's parents were Humphrey and Alice Sullivant. This Darby was born on 10/18/1668 Christ Church Barbados.

Thanks,
Evelyn
Evey

Postby bimjim » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:50 pm

Since we are talking about the 17th Century you should be aware that child mortality was quite high. It was common for a couple to have one child who died soon after birth, then have another (of the same sex) and give it the same name.

On familysearch by setting the parents names only I found the baptism of Darby Sullivant on 11 April 1669 - see below (the name on the original document looks like Darbie Sullivan). But thanks to the IGI's Soundex feature, I also found a burial of a Derby Suleven in August 1669, which might actually be the same surname.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1923399

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJ8R-8KWT
Darby Sullivant
Barbados Church Records
Name Darby Sullivant
Event Type Baptism
Event Date 11 Apr 1669
Event Place Christ Church, Barbados
Gender Male
Father's Name Owen Sullivant
Mother's Name Catharine Sullivant

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XLGK-SMH
Darby Sullivant
Caribbean Births and Baptisms
Name Darby Sullivant
Gender Male
Christening Date 11 Apr 1669
Christening Place CHRIST CHURCH,BARBADOES,CARIBBEAN
Father's Name Owen Sullivant
Mother's Name Catharine

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJ8R-XRNL
Derby Suleven
Barbados Church Records
Name Derby Suleven
Event Type Burial
Event Date Aug 1669
Event Place Christ Church, Barbados
Father's Name Owen Suleven

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJ8R-RVG4
Darbie Sullivan
Barbados Church Records
Name Darbie Sullivan
Event Type Burial
Event Date 10 May 1713
Event Place St James, Barbados
Age 35
Birth Year (Estimated) 1678

Presumably there was another family with the same surname in Barbados, because here is another birth record from January 1669 (same year as above)... but no parents are named. I have heard of separations, but I doubt there would be a space of four months between the births of twins in the same womb.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKDS-K9T4
Pricilla Suillivant
Barbados Church Records
Name Pricilla Suillivant
Event Type Baptism
Event Date 11 Jan 1669
Event Place St Michael, Barbados
Gender Unknown

An Owen Sullavan is listed in Caribbeana Volume 2, but In Montserrat, just in a listing of volunteer militia, a name only, no details.

Another in Antigua in 1678, again just a name on a list.

In Volume 3 of History of Antigua, Owen Sullivant is listed as having 20 acres of land in Antigua, warranted and surveyed in 1674. Owen Sullivant is also listed as having 20 acres of land in Antigua, warranted and surveyed in 1677.

In Volume 3 of History of Antigua, "1679, Feb 20, Owen Sullivene, for 13,500 lbs. sells 20 acres in Belfast."

I don't see any other references in my books (including Hotten's).
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Evey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:59 pm

Oh wow that's a lot of information and you are so quick! Maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree, sigh. Such a puzzle.

I'll look at all this info more closely. I sure appreciate your time and help.

Thanks,
Evey
Evey

Return to Barbados