FORTE - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

FORTE - Barbados

Postby Mandarin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:14 pm

Seeking birth and/or christening records for Catharine Ann Forte born 1834, probably St. George, Barbados, possibly St. Thomas, Barbados. Catharine Ann married William Humphrey Dash, 9 June 1859, St. Michael, Barbados. Any info about her parents (who/where/when) would be appreciated.

Also seeking information on "Lila" Rosena/Rosina Rosamund Dash, probable daughter of above couple, birth date unknown but could have been born prior to parents marriage. Need confirmation, but she may have been christened 7 January 1859 as Elzena Rosamund Forte, daughter of "Annie Forte". "Lila" Dash was the mother of Frederick Morton Gittens Dash (later just Gittens) and Miriel Morton Gittens Dash. Also seeking information on Miriel beyond her christening. "Lila" and Frederick emigrated to Trinidad. Miriel may also have emigrated to Trinidad. "lila" emigrated to New York in 1927 and there the trail runs cold.
Mandarin

Re: FORTE - Barbados

Postby maartenk » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:31 am

there is a large dash fam tree on internet dating back to 1650's. the name william Humphrey dash is named in it as well. funny thing is that is the same name as my great grandfather. my grandmothers name is Lila. since i'm not that old i think they are named after. do you have any other info on them?
maartenk

Postby nmaynard » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:11 pm

@Mandarin: I'm seeking much of the same information. Lila Dash (ca. 1862-) was my 2nd great grandmother (a photo and more info about her is posted here http://www.geni.com/people/Lila-Dash/334314639860003368). I've been doing some research and believe Edmund Morton Gittens (1847-) (Morton was his middle name, not part of his surname) was the father of Frederick and Miriol. I believe Lila, though not married to Edmund, gave her children their father's name, and it wound up getting hypenated when the family settled in Trinidad. Edmund also had a sister, Clara Myriol (1845-), who might have been Miriol Morton Gittens Dash's namesake.

@maartenk Was your grandmother Lila Dash born in 1903? I found a branch of the family that came from Trinidad and settled in Rhode Island around 1898.
nmaynard

Postby maartenk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:29 am

Nope, thats not her. She was born in 1921. She eventually moved to Aruba. I do have a picture of her grandfather who is supposed to have been born in Barbados and moved to Trinidad as well, where my great grandfather is born. I think her grandfather is a brother of Lila Dash.
maartenk

Postby maartenk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:14 am

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:3QSF-N93

dont know if this tree works, found it once.
maartenk

Postby nmaynard » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:02 pm

@maartenk The link works and that's the same the same family, though I think it's incomplete. I found a 1927 Trinidad=>NYC passenger list that listed Rosene "Lila" Dash and Rosalind (Dash) Hale as sisters, and gave their Trinidad contact as their brother Robert Dash and their NYC contact as their brother G.N.M. [George Nathaniel Mitchinson] Dash in Brooklyn (there are earlier records of him in Rhode Island). There seem to have been 10 siblings in all (a few more than in the tree you posted--I found baptismal records for them on Ancestry.com), though some of them died in infancy.

The siblings I found are:

Rosina Rosene Lila Rosamond Dash 1859–? (prob. born a few months before William Humphrey Dash and Catherine Ann Forte married, so originally baptized Forte, as @mandarin noted above)
Florella Castile Dash 1860–1860
Charles Humphrey Dash 1863–?
Richard Montague Dash 1867–?
Rosalind Montaque Dash 1867–?
Robert Rawson Dash 1871–?
Reynold Fitzhugh Beresford Dash 1872–1913
George Nathaniel Mitchinson Dash 1875–1963
George Clements Dash ?–1866
Fitzherbert Blanche Dash ?–1862

I found a William Dash (1904-1998) (son of Reynold Fitzhugh Beresford Dash 1872-1913, listed above), who in turn had a son William Humphrey Dash Jr (1927-2011). Does any of that jibe with your family records?
nmaynard

Postby maartenk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:24 pm

nope both of them aren't my great grandfather is william humphrey dash passed away in 1965 trinidad. he had one brother. i'm quite positive his dad was robert rawson. which would make sence if he came with rosene dash to trinidad from barbados. i read somewhere on the board that he she came with a sibling. i do have a picture of him together with my great grandfather. rawson is also a common name in our family. to me its sounds logical but i cantbe 100% positive.
maartenk

Postby nmaynard » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:48 pm

Cool. Yes, it looks like names got repeated and passed down in that family a lot through generations.

"Robert Dash" (I think he's the same Robert Rawson Dash) was listed as a sponsor on my grandmother's baptismal certificate from 1913 in Port of Spain, Trinidad. He was her great uncle. I'll keep digging....
nmaynard

Return to Barbados