Barbados: Seeking info on the Hurricane of 1780

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Barbados: Seeking info on the Hurricane of 1780

Postby Kilpeck » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:34 pm

Can anyone suggest where to find further information about this time frame. I'm looking for people who may have survived or others who went to Barbados to help restore family lands.

Specifically the Drax and Pye families and their land holdings.

Also information about American Privateers who may have sailed into the bays and harbors of Barbados, specifically the Junius Brutus.

I have studied everything available on line and find the general information is not adequate.

Would like suggestions.
Kilpeck

Re: Barbados: Seeking info on the Hurricane of 1780

Postby gaskinh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:08 pm

You can contact the Barbados archive Department located in the Old Lazaretto Hospital, Black Rock, St. Michael or the Barbados
Museum located in the Old Military Prison, Garrison Barbados. There is also a sugar plantation located in St. George, Barbados
called Drax Hall. The plantation great house called Drax Hall House is one of the oldest in Barbados. Colonel Drax, the original owner
was a member of the Barbados Parliament in the 1600's. I think Drax Hall is still owned by the Drax Family. Drax Hall House
is on the Barbados National Trust list of historic houses that is open to visits by the public from time to time.

From:Harrell (Jackie) Gaskin a Barbadian living in Canada
gaskinh

Return to Barbados