JOHNSON, Edward - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

JOHNSON, Edward - Barbados

Postby Johnson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Searching for information on my grandfather Edward Johnson and his family. He was a part of the Salvation Army in Christ Church Barbados in the late 50's to mid 60's. I wrote to the Salvation Army in Christ Church but they never responded. Where else can I look for my grandfather's info in Barbados? I would really appreciate any help.
Johnson

Re: JOHNSON, Edward - Barbados

Postby bimjim » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:52 pm

The usual starting point is large and free... the Mormons' (LDS') International Genealogical Index (known as the IGI), the largest genealogy database in the world.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... ch_IGI.asp

You can enter just the first name, you can just enter a last name, you can even enter just a parent or just both parents before you click on the Submit button, but whatever you enter you MUST select a Region (in this case, Caribbean Islands). If yoyur ancestir may have been born in the UK, then you would try British Isles, and so on.

A record returned will contain a name which is also a link. Clicking on this link will allow you to see more information about the individual - parents, spouse, etc, depending on the record type.

At the bottom of the individual's record are some more numbers. Copying the Batch No and then entering just parents or just the surname can narrow what may have been a very large search result down to the years or the families in that Batch (all the related individuals in a census, for instance). Next to the Batch number is sometimes the range of dates included in that Batch.

The Source Call No. can be a microfilm reference number, which you then use to order the microfilm so you can make a hardcopy of a particular record - baptism, marriage, will, whatever.

Remember, please, that it is quite rare the Mormons provide life records that are less than 90 years old.

If you need a researcher in Barbados, just ask. I know of one or two very good ones who charge reasonable rates and know the sources (Library, Museum, National Archives) like the backs of their hands.

HTH

Jim
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Johnson » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:16 pm

I can't seem to get anywhere on Barbados genealogy websites. I even wrote to the Salvation Barbados and emailed them but never got a response. So what am I doing wrong? Eventually I will need a genealogist in Barbados. I would appreciate your suggestion. You can send me some names of the genealogist there. I had no luck with them before being I never heard from them again. I will try them again though. I will search some more in Uk as well. Thank you for your response I really do appreciate that. Lourdes
Johnson

Postby bimjim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:45 pm

I sent you a PM.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Chris108 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:14 pm

I am looking for a recommendation for a researcher in Barbados. Chris
Chris108

Return to Barbados