Hardy Family of Barbados and Cork, Ireland

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Re: Hardy Family of Barbados and Cork, Ireland

Postby bhewitson » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:10 am

Hi Vince,

I have been researching my wife's family for a number of years. She is a "Hardy", and I believe a direct descendant of Simeon Hardy and Mary O'Brien. Her Great Grandfather was Simeon's son - Harmer Hardy, ( b 1824 - Cork Ireland) who married Helena Hester Cruywagen ( b abt 1860 - Cape Colony South Africa) in London - 03 Jun 1884 ( age 60) and died 15 Aug 1888. They had two children -

Gerorge Frederick Hardy b 1885
Victor Harriott Hardy b 1887

This was Harmer's second marriage. ( He was previously married to Sigismunda Stiebel who died in 1873) They also had 6 children.
Harmer was a Captain who served in the 97th Regiment in Crimea and later in 18th Hussars. Harmer's younger brother Frederick was also in the military and was a Major General.

I have found the early family a little difficult to document, as there are many children, with each family using similar names.
I believe there are a few historical books available which make mention the family and their business, however, at this stage I have not been able to obtain copies of them all.

The Huguenot Settlements in Ireland - Grace Lawless Lee
The Huguenots and Ireland - C E J Caldicott
A history of the Irish Huguenot family of Hardy: who settled in Cork city and later lived at Knockeven, Cobh (Queenstown), Co. Cork - Brenda Bayley

I would be interested to compare notes to verify the accuracy of what I have documented so far.

Brad Hewitson
Last edited by bhewitson on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhewitson

Re: Hardy Family of Barbados and Cork, Ireland

Postby RainyP » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Good Afternoon

I was delighted when searching the internet I found this site and specifically someone who knows something about the Hardy family.

I am working on a family history and have been trying to find out anything I can about Harriet Elizabeth Hardy. I know she was born in about 1841 in Guyana, and that in 1864 she married a man named William Carson, a native of Dublin. I have conducted extensive research on the Carson family who were Victorian Civil Engineers and Shipbuilders. I would imagine that William came into contact with the Hardy Family when he was the Manager of the Cork Steamship Company, He subsequently went on to be the Engineer for the Wallasey Ferry Company, the company that runs the famous ferry across the River Mersey in Liverpool, England.

I have discovered from an obituary that Elizabeth was the daughter of Simeon Henry Hardy, a Staff Surgeon in the Royal Marines, based in Dominica. I believe this to be the same Simeon Hardy mentioned in this thread as the son of Henry Hardy and Elizabeth Evanson.

I would love to know more about this specific branch of the Hardy family and the names and other details of Harriets siblings. I have been unable to find much ., a few references to the family and mentions them originally coming from France. As I am very careful about sourcing information, I would be grateful if anyone can point me to specific records where this information is confirmed, I would be happy to share the information I have about Harriet Hardy’s family with anyone who has an interest.
RainyP

Return to Barbados