CLARKE - Barbados to New York

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

CLARKE - Barbados to New York

Postby Kiera Northington » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:04 am

I'm searching for the family of my maternal grandmother, her name was Irene (Clarke) Coulthurst. She immigrated from Barbados (Bridgetown, I believe) to New York. I'm not exactly sure of the year, but I found her name on the 1920 US Federal Census, with my grandfather Fitz Leonard Coulthurst, and their daughters Felicia and Hilaria. On the 1930 Census, their names are there as well, with the addition of my mother Edwina. Irene died in 1939 & Fitz died in 1947, in New York.
Kiera Northington

Re: CLARKE - Barbados to New York

Postby bajandon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi Kiera,

I have had a lot of luck finding my Bajan relatives in the New York Passenger Lists arriving from Barbados. Initially, depending on the year of their arrival, they could be found for free on Ellis Island’s Web site http://www.ellisisland.org/. However, that data is also now available on Ancestry.com. Of course, Ancestry.com requires a paid subscription to access the data. One advantage that Ancestry has over Ellis Island, is they cover the years after Ellis Island closed.

The information contained in the passenger list records changed over time. One of the neat things about the passenger lists is they sometimes give you the name and address of the nearest living relative back home and the person in the US that you are coming to meet. Both are valuable resources for building your family tree and developing your family’s story.

Once you find the names of the family members back home, you may try searching FamilySearch.org (http://www.familysearch.org/) for them.

Note: Be creative and use wildcards while searching for the names .. The indexes are full of mistakes.

Good Luck!

Don Hinson
Dallas, Texas, USA
bajandon

Postby Kiera Northington » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:47 am

Bajandon,

Thank you so much for the heads up; I found my maternal Grandmother, (Clarke) on the 1920 US New York Census, so I can now narrow down the years to search the Ellis Island information.

I appreciate your help!!!

One love,
Kiera
Kiera Northington

Postby bajandon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:18 am

Hi Kiera,

One last thing. I just happened to read something after I responded to your post earlier today. The Barbados records at FamilySearch.org may stop after 1880. So it may not be that useful to you for the period between 1880 and 1920. Give it a try anyway.

Don
bajandon

Return to Barbados