ELLIOTT - Barbados

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

ELLIOTT - Barbados

Postby elliott » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:06 pm

I am attempting to trace my family. I have gotten as far as Thomas Elliott of Longpoint Plantation in Beaufort, SC in the late 1600s. I have been told that Thomas was the second son, and came to SC via Barbados. If anyone has any information on the Elliott family in Barbados, it would be greatly appreciated.
elliott

Re: ELLIOTT - Barbados

Postby bimjim » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:44 am

Nothing in "Genealogies of Barbados Families".

"Barbados and Scotland, Links 1627-1877", by David Dobson
Only one Thomas listed (of 13 ELLIOT) - "ELLIOT, Thomas, son of Thomas Elliot and his wife Anne, was baptised in St. Philip's, Barbados, on 29 September 1678 and buried there on 26 July 1679."
(Died at less than 1 year of age).

Hotten's "Omitted Chapters" on page 19 lists the baptism of Thomas Elliot above on the same date and at the same place;
Page 25 lists for St. Philip's Parish burials a "Mary, ye wife of Thomas Elliot, was buryed September the 20th 1679."

There is a Thomas Elliot listed in Hotten's Lists, but is connected to Nova Scotia in Canada.

"American Wills and Administrations in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 1610-1857" by Coldham:
"Ollier, Jane, of Charles Town, South Carolina. Administration to Thomas Elliot, attorney for the mother, Mary Satur, widow, in South Carolina. (Nov. 1737)"
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby elliott » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:08 am

Thank you very much... the search continues!
elliott

Postby bimjim » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Have you tried familyserach.org? Here is a link to one of the search pages with Thomas Elliott selected specifically for the Caribbean and the 1600s...
https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... h_place0=4

You can change the parameters using the various links at the lower left.

Because he may not have been born in Barbados just uncheck the "Caribbean and Central America" under Birthplace and select instead "United Kingdom and Ireland". The 1600s should still hang in there, but if not just re-select it under "Birth Year".
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby elliott » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:56 pm

This is very helpful, thanks.
elliott

Return to Surnames E