EVELYN - Barbados, St Michael

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

EVELYN - Barbados, St Michael

Postby Chezzyp » Mon May 07, 2007 3:32 pm

My grandmother was Beryl Evelyn and she came from Barbarees Hill, her parents were William and Elfreda Evelyn and she had several siblings. Does anyone know anything about this branch of Evelyns?
CPR
Chezzyp

Evelyn

Postby hill0788 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:51 pm

I do not know if I can help you, but I will try. The name Evelyn is an old name in Barbados. It is supposed to be a family name, but I can not find any connection to it except it is my grandfather's middle name.

I have a CD: Early Settlers in Barbados, 1637 - 1800, I could look there for you if your information is before 1800. You did not mention any dates in your query. It will not cost you anything, I like looking up names for people.

Beth Hill
hill0788

Postby Chezzyp » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Thanks Beth; unfortunately though I have no specific dates. My grandmother was born in 1904 or 5 so I would imagine her parents were born in the 1870s or thereabouts. William George Evelyn was her father and he had a brother called LOUIS but I don't know who their father was. If your book only goes up until 1800 I don't suppose it will help but see what you can find anyway if you wouldn't mind. Names do tend to repeat in families don't they?

Many thaks
CPR
Chezzyp

Re: EVELYN - Barbados, St Michael

Postby RHZ » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:23 am

Hello!

I am looking for information regarding Ruby Hilton Evelyn? She would have had a son, Ramsey, in the year 1930, in Port of Spain, Trinidad. Any information would be helpful!

Warm Regards,
Rubi
RHZ

Postby briannicus » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:56 am

Dear Ruby,
I have your Ruby on my Family Tree with all her ancestors going back to the 15th century, and many of your cousins (courtesy of Geoff Hilton Evelyn)

Brian
briannicus

Postby briannicus » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:02 am

Dear all,

I am looking for information on the Evelyn family of St. Kitts, starting with George James Evelyn (1810, Barbados - 1903, St Kitts). He was married to Lucy Ann Maillard (1817 St. Kitts - 1878, St. Kitts)

GJE was the Receiver General and Postmaster of St. Kitts.
Family Search (private entries) has that many of his children were born in Barbados but I believe it may be wrong and that they were born in St. Kitts.

Any information that might clear this up would be most welcome. Unfortunately, records from this island appear to be almost non-existent on the Internet.

Thanks,
Brian
briannicus

Postby Yve » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Hello, my family tree traces back to Nathaniel Evelyn of Barbados. He had 2 sons with a woman name Diana, there is no surname listed for her. Their sons are Isaac and Joseph Evelyn. Does anyone have information on the parents? Thanks.
Yve

Postby bimjim » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:05 am

bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Yve » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:49 am

Hello, thank you for the link. I'm new at researching, so perhaps you can give me some guidance.
The mother is listed as Diana, there is no last name. Is it correct to assume she was a slave? Is there a way for me to get additional information on her?
Yve

Postby bimjim » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:49 pm

First, my quick link to the Mormons' IGI search form is here...
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... ch_IGI.asp

Of course, the front page of that site is here...
http://www.familysearch.org/

The birth dates of those two children are 1842 and 1844 - both are after full Emancipation in Barbados, so none would have been slaves, although they may have been "apprenticed". By then, those who made the records were forbidden to add "descriptions" (negro, mulatto, etc.) so what you see there is all you will get.

I had a quick look around, but could not find the marriage record. That's the best I can do right now.
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Surnames E