Everard LYNCH - ANTIGUA 1859. Parish unknown

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Everard LYNCH - ANTIGUA 1859. Parish unknown

Postby anniemo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:22 pm

Everard Lynch is my Great Grandfather. I am looking for any Lynch who may be related to Everard. We know little about him before he came to London, [Brentford Dock] England. He married my Great Grandmother Keziah [or Kezia] Martin.

Everard's Father's name was John and he was a carpenter.

Everard worked on a couple of ships, one was called "West Riding" He worked as a sailmaker on a voyage from London to Freemantle, Australia.

Everard had a friend who was also a merchant seaman. "Lavington Cumberbatch." We have a partial letter from Lavington, writng to Everard, from "Post Office, Sidney, British Columbia, Canada." He writes to Everard Lynch. "West Riding" Freemantle, Western Australia. In the letter Lavington mentions a Mrs. Buchan. Mrs. Buchan gave him Everards address on "West Riding".

The letter also says, "Alf and Lizzy are married now" And.... I hear from Mother that "Webb" is on the "???? Bay" the word before bay is damaged as is much of the letter.

The only other thing Lavington says which may be of use is..... I came out here on the ship "Rathdoon" of Dublin.

I am hoping that someone will recognise some of the names. I would dearly love to find out more about my Great Grandfather's life.
anniemo

Re: Everard LYNCH - ANTIGUA 1859. Parish unknown

Postby bimjim » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:41 pm

AnnieMo...

Was your Everard Lynch one of the Irish merchant family who were also in Jamaica and Montserrat? I have information on a Joseph Lynch who went to Montserrat in 1705, and I am sure it is the same merchant family as was in Barbados and St. Kitts.

Best,

bimjim
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby anniemo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:20 pm

To be honest I really don't know and have hit a brick wall. I am very open to any possible links, so would be grateful for any info you have.

Everard was from Antigua and was black though reasonably fair skin [If that's any help] I have been totally unable to find his birth certificate so do not know where in Antigua he was born.

His Father was a carpenter called John.

Best wishes
Annie
0001 Gt Grandfather Lynch 2.jpg
This is the only photo we have of Everard
anniemo

Postby bimjim » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:14 pm

He could have been a mulatto, like mine (in Barbados) - white father, black mother. Our line has actually morphed into white over time.

I also have a brick wall I'm trying to break through, but I have realised that behind every brick wall - is another brick wall !! No mater how successful you are or how well the records are preserved, at some point your family line will disappear into a time when there were no records or people only had one name - or when people had no names. Life back in the ages was pretty cheap, too...

I am in contact with a Lynch of the Jamaica family - supposedly the same large Irish family who were in many of the islands. The only way I can be sure I am related to them is by DNA, and I already know 67 of my markers. I have asked one of those contacts to do a DNA test too so we can compare markers - I use familytreedna.com.

If it helps. I am in contact with a descendant of Codrington, and he tells me that records do not show that a Lynch was part of his relative's retinue - in those days they protected each other, and it was a good idea for them to behave like a family even if they were not related.

I lived and worked in Antigua for 16 years, and found 2 things that may be of interest to you:
1. there was a Lynch estate (marked in old maps) in the middle of the north arm of Willoughby Bay - but there is nothing there now.
2. there is a large above-ground burial chamber with a female Lynch gravestone on the top in the cemetery outside a small old church on the south-west coast of the island. I have been trying to get someone to take a photo for me, but nothing so far.

I'll be in touch if I find out anything, until then good luck...

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby caquart » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:02 am

Hi...

I live not far from Sidney and I notice that there are two people with the name Cumberbirch in the phone book. Could the name on your letter be Cumberbirch?
Researching the Aquart family: Martinique, St.Lucia, Grenada, Jamaica.
caquart

Re: Everard LYNCH- ANTIGUA 1859. Parish unknown

Postby anniemo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:17 pm

Hello,

I do apologise for not replying sooner. I must have missed this notification from you. I just found it filed on my computer under Family History! :oops:

You were kind enough to let me know of 2 Cumberbirch's in Sidney. Two things spring to mind....

1. Names do seem to change slightly over the years, so it's certainly worth a try.
2. Although Lavington Cumberbatch's letter was addressed from the Post Office, Sidney, Britsh Columbia, Canada. He may well have stayed there and settled down, as My Great Grandfather did in England.

I wondered if you would be able to tell me the telephone numbers you found please? Do they have addresses in the Canadian telephone book too? If not I could try and find them myself.

Very many thanks for your help.

Annie
anniemo

Postby caquart » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi Annie,

I have sent you a private message with the names, addresses and telephone numbers.

Cathy
Researching the Aquart family: Martinique, St.Lucia, Grenada, Jamaica.
caquart

Postby tikaru17 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:59 am

Hi,
I read your post and thought it was very interesting. I'm also looking for anyone with the last name Lynch from Antigua. My dad's family is Lynch and he said they lived in an area called Green Bay. His father's name was William Lynch and he was born in 1901. William was a fisherman and may have had a twin brother but i'm not sure.

It's great that you have a picture of your great grandfather, i'm trying to get one of mine too. What caught my attention is that some of his features look similar to the features of my family. Its probably nothing big but i thought it was interesting.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Stephanie
tikaru17

Postby anniemo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi Stephanie,
Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay answering. It's a great relief to find someone who says, there may be some resemblance in my photo. IF so....that would be progress! It's the only photo we have.
I am not sure where Green Bay is but will look it up if I can.

I have finally recieved an answer [by e-mail] fromThe Registra General Office in St. Johns. I had to write by post in the first instance. They say I can get a copy of his Birth Certificate, which hopefully may have more info on it? [I have tried writing years ago and several e-mails just keep bouncing back, so I think this address must be wrong.]

I also have ordered a microfilm from Familysearch.org, waiting for that to arrive.

My Great Grandfather Everard Lynch, was much older than your William Lynch. However, there could of course be a connection, furthur down the line. That would be exciting! I am sure Everard must have had brothers and sisters, who stayed in Antigua, and had their own families.
I also have a few photo's of Everards children too.

Do let me know if you manage to get any more information, especially a photo. Does your Dad have any old photo's hidden away? Or, perhaps his brothers & sisters may have some? It's always worth checking. You never know.

Good Luck with your research Stephanie. Best wishes Ann
anniemo

Postby tikaru17 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi Ann,

Sorry for such a late reply, I've been so busy lately. What's great is that I was able to see a picture of my grand father for the first time last month, it was pretty exciting! I'm working on getting a copy of it for myself. Also, I was able to show the picture of your Great Grandfather to my family and they all agreed that they saw a resemblance.

How is your research going? Were you able to get a copy of the birth certificate yet?
I'll be sure to post the photo of my Grandfather once I get it, and maybe I can post one of my dad as well, but I'll have to ask him first :wink:

Let me know if anything interesting comes up, I'd love to hear about your progress.

Stephanie
tikaru17

Postby bimjim » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Annie...

I cleaned up that photo (above - thanks for the hi-res version) and managed to produce some quite different versions which may be of interest - in regard to how the photo is viewed for such things as personality, etc.. Here they are below.
Attachments
GtGrandfatherLynch_4.jpg
GtGrandfatherLynch_3.jpg
GtGrandfatherLynch_2.jpg
GtGrandfatherLynch_1.jpg
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby anniemo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you so much for the photo's, you did a great job!

I have failed miserably, I'm afraid. I have been unable to get the Birth Certificate. After begging them in the Archives in Antigua, they did manually look in 4 parish's for me and no Everard Lynch was found. They require the Mothers name which I don't have.

Also I ordered the microfiche from Family Search.org I went to the local Mormon Church to search for myself. After trawling through hundred of pages, I had no luck at all! The trouble is there are loads of pages with the baby's name missing. Just says male or female. There was no Everard at all. He may well be one of the nameless babies?

I am now trying to see if I can find anyone via Everards friend Lavington Cumberbatch. I have a letter from Lavington to Everard, talking about the "old country" I have some info on him and he seems to have come from Barbados though. Considering our family always thought he came from Jamaica. Then finding out that Everard put Antigua born 1859 on his Crew List. I am now wondering if I should try Barbados??? There are Lynch's there.

I am seriously thinking about going down the DNA route. I have one male cousin of Lynch line, whom I am in contact with, so he could be the person to ask.

However....I am not sure how it would help or what I would gain from taking the DNA route. Having said that, I really, really want to know about my black ancestry. I need to ask someone what it all means really. this DNA stuff.

Anyway Stephanie, as you say I am lucky to have the photo at least.

Let me know how you are getting on with your research.

All the best Ann
anniemo

Postby bimjim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:22 am

Ann...

1. Reference Lynch in Barbados I would love to hear from you if you come across any reference to a Hamlet. There are two, a Hamlet Mayers Lynch and a Hamlet Fairchild Lynch, both born about 1770.

Hamlet Mayers Lynch and his son John Richard Lynch are in my line, he also had sons Peter and James, all born just after 1800 with a partner (wife?) Minifred or Menifred.

2. As to DNA, male and female lines are separate results, males use the Y-chromosome, females use Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). The first mass-produced DNA tests were by the Genographic Project, who only looked at 12 markers for the purpose of following the "path out of Africa". But 12 markers are next to useless for matching recent generations to each other. Truly, the more markers you know the better the accuracy of the search and the matches.

Right now I have 67 markers, but I recently paid for an upgrade to the "Family Finder" which provides far more markers and is far more sophisticated.

FamilyTreeDNA.com was the lab which did the Genographic Project tests (all 12 markers), and they are still considered the best one to use. They also offer a free database for adding your results and hoping for a future match with someone else.

DNA testing is simple - they send you a sterile hard cotton swab in a holder which you use to you scrape the inside of your cheek vigorously, then you eject the swab from its holder into a vial and send it in. That's it - no pain, no bleeding, no blood tests or invasive procedures.

As to costs, prices are coming down all the time, and FTDNA offer specials periodically both for initial and for upgrade results.

When you get the results of your tests, there are a number of other (free) databases you can add your markers to, and most of them will send you an alert if you suddenly match a newcomer. Then you may be able to make contact, compare surnames and relatives, and possibly discover that your grandmother really had four sisters instead of the two she told you about!!
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby anniemo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks for the very helpful information Jim especially about the DNA.

I have been looking at http://www.africanancestry.com based in USA. They do ship internationally too, and they claim to be the only company who can tell you the possible country your ancestors came from, rather than simply the continent of Africa.

They seem expensive though at $309.00 USD. Just under £200.00 [For the Paternal test.]

I think I will check out the one you used to compare them. Do you have a link Jim? If not I am sure I can find it.

Going to to your Lynch line. I was wondering about the son John Richard Lynch. Do you know when he was born and what his occupation was? It's a bit of a long shot but my Great Grandfather Everard Lynch had a Father called John who was a Carpenter. I have no other info but would guess he would have been born around 1820-1840 ish.

Thanks again for your input Jim. Best wishes Ann
anniemo

Postby bimjim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:31 pm

http://www.familytreedna.com... if you look around there I believe they also do some work dealing with African ancestry - although they way it is looking, we all came out of Africa in the beginning.

I did see a documentary recently on Asian DNA, and it seems there was an ice age across Asia at just the wrong time which forced the species to morph physically into a sub-grouping as we see it today. Very interesting, probably was on PBS.

As I said, I have myself ordered the Family Finder upgrade test from FTDNA, which is for both men or women, provides ethnic percentages, includes matches with predicted relationship ranges within about the last 5 generations, and helps with confirming close relationships regardless of gender.

FTDNA also preserves your sample/s, so if you want to upgrade or order new tests at a later date you don't have to waste time with submitting cheek scrape samples again.

Right now on FTDNA the (male) Y-DNA 67 Marker test is US $199, the (female) mtDNA test is US $159. As I also said before, this is a Special, and they offer other special periodically which you can look out for.

They provide a free database which sends you match alerts and from which you can join specialty project areas (African is just one), you can upload directly to YSearch.org's database, and there is a free newsletter to keep you informed.
http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join ... up=African
http://www.AfricanDNAProject.org

HTH
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Antigua