A New Web Site for Gramps

About the programs that keep your data - including GEDCOM, Family Tree Maker, others.

Postby bimjim » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Gramps is a genealogy program primarily developed for Linux and UNIX-like operating systems, but it is also available for Windows and Mac OSX. Gramps is easy to use and does a great job of organizing your genealogy research. Best of all, Gramps is available free of charge. Now the program has a newly-designed web site.

Web site designer Jason Simanek writes:

“In the past I have always been careful to whom I recommended Gramps. The program is excellent but the wiki-based website was not very good for attracting more ordinary users. I’ve tried telling some of those ordinary users about the excellent genealogical program that I was contributing to, but the moment they saw the site their enthusiasm was greatly diminished.

“The primary wiki-based website worked well for documentation, but for introductory purposes it left a lot to be desired. I always felt that the wiki’s start page was like a 747 dashboard: lots of little details that all seem to be of about the same importance and completely incomprehensible without some in-depth consideration. As a designer I knew that in order to catch and retain the interest of new users the site would need to focus on what the new user needed to know and it needed to look good doing it.

“Not to toot my own design horn, but I think this new site is a good effort at meeting that need. I hope you all agree. I’m sure we’ll be working on improving it further as we approach Gramps’ 10-year anniversary.”

You can see the new web site at http://gramps-project.org/
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Database software