TNG 7 - The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding

About the programs that keep your data - including GEDCOM, Family Tree Maker, others.

TNG 7 - The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding

Postby bimjim » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:19 pm

http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php

I installed this software into my web site in January (2009) and even as a trained programmer the learning curve was a little steep. This requires that php be installed on your computer/server and access to file/folder permissions.

Installation was not that difficult, but you had better have access to FTP and be able to chmod files and folders. There were 7 different templates (styles) offered, and I am sure anyone who buys this will find one that suits their taste in design. I still modified mine, though, and used the same embedded stylesheets to create subsequent static pages for other associated uses - Guidelines, etc.

Using the software is a bit obtuse, and even though there are Help screens they do NOT provide the basic step-by-step instructions or concepts a newbie needs to really do stuff and from there begin to grasp the essentials. For instance, if you have an lone individual - a wife, for instance - and you want to add a brother, nowhere does the software suggest to you that you must first create a new Family to allow this to happen. It sounds basic, but this software demands and assigns IDs to Family Groups before you can just add people "willy-nilly". I wrote to the programmer and suggested he do this, but he put me off with a poor excuse.

I have uploaded GEDCOMs sent to me by other people, and I am now working with a database of more than 17,000 individuals with no loss of response or functionality, so the software works just fine - possibly a cheap server may be a problem before the software stumbles.

You can have an open database for anyone to review, or you can have a private database and require every user to have a username and password. the Admin controls quite a bit of a user's permissions, from read-only through modify/add but not delete, right up to and including all admin rights.

I chose a Template which cycles the added photos at random and gives a list of the 10 most recent changes. I have added a few links to the Menu, and i found after a while the software was not that difficult to work with.

If you are heavily into genealogy (like I am) and you think a Discussion Forum would help bring your family closer together across thousands of miles, I can also install a Discussion Forum for you which does not reveal email addresses (at all) and can be totally private unless you have username/password access.

I'm willing to install and modify (code and graphics) either or both of these for anyone who wants it. The licensing cost of the database software is about $30 and my install fee for each is $300. I would need payment in advance (I can offer PayPal) and full access to your site (FTP is fine). I can recommend a solid server provider.

Jim Lynch
(user bimjim)
Administrator
Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: TNG 7 - The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding

Postby MargoMcP » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks for this post, Jim! I bought it and am experienced too and was worried about that, was going to take additional .cgi and .php courses (wonderful, relatively inexpensive, . courses from O'Reilly that I swear by: http://www.oreillyschool.com/ they're the real deal book people). I'll just go with
my little low-tech site I'm building myself and figure out easier ways to display the trees/.ged data: http://cardin-bunn.com
Cardin - St. Kitts
MargoMcP

Return to Database software