My "issues" with reunion.com / MyLife...

I suggest to you that Reunion.com is a SCAM. And that simply changing their business name to MyLife makes no difference whatosever. Read on inside, and please Post your experience here if you too have been SCAMmed.

My "issues" with reunion.com / MyLife...

Postby bimjim » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Before 12 February (2008) I received an email telling me reunion.com had found 37 people who were looking for someone of my name.

On 12 February I registered at reunion.com and paid $60 through PayPal for a year's subscription. 24 hours later I had not received a registration notice and I was still not provided with access to their database. So on 13 February I sent in two questions, under the statement that they responded to all questions within 24 hours.

One of the questions was when I could expect to gain the access to their database that I had paid for.

The other was concerning one of their advertisers, who programmed their advertisement so it would take over the viewer's browser and replace the contents of the web page with a full-page screaming ad with a moving progress bar telling users that they had a virus on their computer and that a scan was in progress.

My experience with PayPal is that payment is instant (and not reversible) upon my approval and the payee receiving notification. And I have ordered MANY items through eBay and merchants using PayPal and my credit card/s with instant payment and goods being shipped the same or the following day.

But three days after registering and paying my money, I still did not have a response or access from reunion.com, so I declared a dispute with PayPal.

At that point I started sending emails to every email address I could think of that might be at reunion.com. More than 24 hours later (now more than 4 days after paying my money) I received an email telling me that PayPal payments took 7 to 10 business days (up to two real-time weeks) to clear, and that I would be activated after that time. And as far as they were concerned the issue was closed.

My response was to ask for an immediate refund.

After they received the dispute declaration from PayPal, I received another email that the payment would take 5 to 7 business days to clear. And as far as they were concerned the issue was closed again.

The day after that, I received an email stating that I had been activated and I could now log in. My response was, again, that I wanted a refund, that I had not used their services and had no intention of logging in to activate the account - because that would constitute use of their services, and they could plead I had received my value for money.

The next email advised me that they could not refund my money because I had declared a dispute with PayPal. And again, as far as they were concerned the issue was closed.

At this point I went to my PayPal account and escalated my dispute to a claim. Clearly I was not dealing with a reasonable or interested company, and once they have your money they apparently have no intention of parting with it - even if it means bad publicity, a bad reputation with PayPal, and dissatisfied customers.

So, here's their bad publicity and dissatisfied customer on a platter. I'd say THIS particular case of terrible customer service is confirmed and closed, as far as I am concerned.

I urge you NOT to use reunion.com. I cannot vouch for other customers, but this one is PO'd and resolute that there is something fishy going on behind their doors. I smell a mass swindle!

By the way, be advised that when you sign up for reunion.com, they also do not tell you that you have signed up for a recurring charge... next year at the same time they WILL charge you for another year's subscription - unless you find out about it and stop it before then. After it is charged you have again lost that money forever.

Further, here at 10 days past my sending them a question about the issue with the advertiser who took over my browser, I have had NO reply yet. I guess as far as they are concerned this particular issue is inconsequential and closed.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:52 pm

I have been vindicated: PayPal refunded my money from reunion.com's account.

PayPal further advised me that reunion.com was under investigation (by PayPal) for fraudulent practices, so presumably there have been other complaints.

To date reunion.con has STILL not responded to my concern that one of their advertisers is causing panic among their subscribers. So much for their guaranteed 24-hour responses to customer service issues.

My advice: Stay away from reunion.com unless you have lots of money you can afford to to lose. Who knows what schemes there are after subscription to require you to spend more and more to access their database?
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:55 pm

bimjim
Site Admin

Reunion.com

Postby hill0788 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi

I keep getting emails from Reunion.com, saying about people checking my profile and sending me emails, or trying to contact me. I could not afford to . a subscription, so I just thought, "oh, well" and deleted the email.

Classmates.com used be free. Then they deleted everybody off it and started charging people to join again. They let you join, free, but you cannot get messages unless you pay to join that part of it. I did not pay to join that part, either. I just delete the emails.

I'm very glad now after reading this posting, that I could not afford to join either one of those two companies. Thank you, for sharing your experience.

Beth Hill
hill0788

Postby bimjim » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:25 am

One of the SCAMs of reunion.com was that they would collect SPAMmer lists and send out millions of emails telling people that there was someone out there looking for them. Of course, the only way to find out WHO was to subscribe to reunion.com in order to view their database (if there really is one).

As I indicated above, every customer support and complain communication I had with reunion.com came back classified as "Resolved'... but in fact it was far from that.

This is where I got SCAMmed - but I had used PayPal to make the payment and was able to claw back my money after declaring a dispute there. PayPal then clawed the money back from reunion.com's PayPal account.

Now that reunion.com is morphed into MyLife, don't expect anything different.
bimjim
Site Admin

Re: My "issues" with reunion.com / MyLife...

Postby bimjim » Fri May 08, 2009 2:48 pm

7 days after paying for service...

5 days after declaring a dispute with PayPal...

I have received a reply from reunion.com!!!

I am asked to believe that electronic payments through PayPal take 7 to 10 business days to "clear".

Despite that fact that other payments - both credit card-paid and my bank account-paid - are immediate to all other purchases (eBay individuals, Chinese vendors, other participating North American companies) are instantaneous, I am supposed to fall for the idiot proposal from reunion.com that I should wait two business weeks for my payment to "go through".

Despite that fact that I can make a $1,000 payment at WalMart with my credit card and wait only a second for approval, I am supposed to believe reunion.com when they tell me I have to wait two real-time weeks for that same approval for $60.

Stay away from reunion.com (now MyLife). That's my best advice to everyone.

Jim
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Reunion.com (= MyLife) is a SCAM... info inside.