DAVIS, Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

DAVIS, Jamaica

Postby Y Dawson » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:49 pm

Y Dawson, would welcome any information you may have on John and Jane DAVIS (mid 1800s), parents of Henrietta Davis and Isadora Davis. Henrietta Davis married Arthur Dawson (aka "Busha") late 1800s. Thank you!
"Roots do not know what a leaf has in mind." - Proverb from Chad
Y Dawson

Postby skisquash » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:25 am

Which parish is your Davis from? Mine are from Hanover with names of Anthony, Arnold, James in the mid 1800s.
skisquash

Re: DAVIS, Jamaica

Postby Y Dawson » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi,

Did I ever respond to you? Sorry if I didn't. :oops:

I am not sure what parish the Davis side of my family is from. I have a brother with the middle name of "Anthony", though. Do you recognize any of the names "Isadora" "Henrietta", etc?? In the prime of their lives they lived in or close to Jack's Hill in St. Andrew.

Anxiously waiting for your response! Thanks!
Y Dawson

Postby skisquash » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:28 am

There are a lot of Davis in the Hanover parish. I am searching Davis back the 1800s. How far back can you go and when was Isadora or Henrietta born?

Thanks,
Chris
skisquash

Postby Y Dawson » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm

Sorry for the delay; I was travelling. Also I don't have my notes in front of me. My grandfather Emanuael Adolphus Dawson was born in 1895. His mother was a Davis who married Arthur Dawson. Emanuel's maternal grandparents (if my memory serves me right) were John and Jane Davis. That places them in the early 1800's. Does that help? Do you recognize the names "Henrietta" and "Isadora"? They should have been sisters.
Y Dawson

Postby skisquash » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 am

Hi Y,

I'll check on those names. I think John is the brother of (James) Arnold Davis, whose sons are Wilfred Arnold, Harold, Joelle, and 2 other siblings. It may be the case that John is the cousin of these brothers. The had a lot of property in Hanover and neighboring parishes that got past down from the early 1830s when a Davis purchased the properties in Saxham and other locations. What is appearance & style of the Davis...height, face, hair, personality? Do you have any stories and oral history?

Thanks!
skisquash

Postby Y Dawson » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi Chris,

The Davises, I've heard, were light-skinned and may have been short of stature. I met some of their decendants when I was in primary school in the 1960's and they said they were related to me (through John and Jane Davis, I presume). To be specific they were Norman Davis and his mother, whose name I don't recall. She taught at Meadowbrook Prep School in Kingston, Jamaica, in the 60's, and she had a friendly, gentle and kind personality.

By the way, 2 people in my family have the name "Harold".

Is this information helpful?
Y Dawson

Postby skisquash » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:21 am

Hi YD,

This information is indeed helpful and a good start. Keep in coming...

Well the Davis's in my family were light skinned and also short in stature. typically from the Hanover area. Some have confused them to be from India or the Mideast. Does this make sense for your line?

Harold was my Grandfather's brother. He was born in the earlier 1900s. Is this the case for your Harold?

~Peace
skisquash

Postby skisquash » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:02 am

What is the background of Viola May Davis?
skisquash

Postby Robyne » Sun May 09, 2010 1:13 am

Hi there,

Have you encountered a Catherine or Clara Davis in your research? She married a William Henry Adams (cabinetmaker) and had a son George Davis Adams in about 1840. All we know is that George's daughter was very dark and that George was born in the West Indies.

I've been directed to Hanover as there were Davis's there, but don't know how to further the research. It's very confusing and difficult to find places to enquire from Australia. If you do know anywhere I might ask, I'd be more than happy too. If that's not a bother.

Cheers,

Robyne
Robyne

Postby jdavisthomas » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:54 am

My known Davies are from Westmoreland, Clarendon, Hanover, St. Elizabeth, St. James and St. Andrew.

Rachel Augusta Rankine nee Davies, Blue Hole, Hanover
John Robert Baquie Davies, Clarendon
Frank Edward Davies, Westmoreland
Rachel Hay Brooks nee Davies, St. Elizabeth
Rachel Stone Sterne nee Tate married John Sterne

Any information is greatly appreciated
jdavisthomas

Postby whoamI » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:23 am

Hi there...

I am looking for info on my Great great great grandparents George R. Davis and Elizabeth Campbell. I know everything from them onwards, but that is all.

I know they had a sugar plantation. I was wondering if anyone out there knows if they had any siblings and any info on their parents.

My great gran who is Reginald Campbell Davis daughter says that they are from England and that her Dad was born in Jamaica. He looks Asian to me in the picture, but she swears he is not, and that he is part African American.

If anyone has any info on George R Davis I would greatly appreciate it..

:D
whoamI

Postby skisquash » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Do you have a picture of George that you can send? When was he approximately born and where in Jamaica did they live?

Thanks!
skisquash

Postby whoamI » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:22 pm

I don't have a picture of George just his only son Reginald.. Reginald was born July 27 1880 he was the youngest I believe out of 4 and the only male..
whoamI

Postby whoamI » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:30 pm

reginald was born in Lucin Jamaica then it had B.W.I behind it on his military papers that I have..
whoamI

Next

Return to Surnames D