ALLEN,ASH,DYER,ELLIOTT,HEADLEY,HOLDER,JOHNSON,SAMUEL,STRAKER

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

ALLEN,ASH,DYER,ELLIOTT,HEADLEY,HOLDER,JOHNSON,SAMUEL,STRAKER

Postby Loviniarose » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:05 pm

I am interested to contact anyone with these names in their family or have connections with these names. They are family names from my maternal and paternal side.

My maternal ancestors came from St. Vincent and Montserrat. The names are Samuel, Dyer from Chateaubelair, Ash from Lowmans and Straker, all from St. Vincent; and Allen from both St. Vincent and Montserrat,

My paternal ancestors came from Barbados. The names are Headley and Johnson from St.Thomas, Elliott and Holder from St.Michael.

Thanking you in advance for any information.
Loviniarose

Re: ALLEN,ASH,DYER,ELLIOTT,HEADLEY,HOLDER,JOHNSON,SAMUEL,STR

Postby Lesear » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi -

My ggg grandfather was Mark John Dyer, born c1800 on Tortola, BVI. I've spent many hours trying to trace further back without any real success at all.

However, I noticed on a website several years ago that a Mark Dyer was baptised in St Vincent in 1804, his parents being Samuel Dyer and Celia Albert. They came from Chateaubelair and had several children - about nine to my knowledge. My Mark John Dyer came to England sometime prior to 1824.

I was wondering whether you know anything of this Mark Dyer?

Regards
Lesear

Postby bimjim » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:21 am

You probably saw this already...

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/person/view/1234

Henry Moreton Dyer's family had had a long association with slave-owning in the Leewards. His grandfather John and uncle Henry both served as Chief Justice on Montserrat in the 18th century. Henry Morton Willis Dyer, born 20/10/1775, was the son of Mark Dyer of Tortola (d. 15/10/1832) and Ann Arabella Morton of St Kitts. In 1833, Henry Moreton Dyer was awarded the administration of the will of Mark Dyer formerly of Alphington Devon but late of Kensington, having sworn he was the only natural son of Mark Dyer: the will itself was really a codicil, commuting a previous annuity of £60 p.a. to a woman named Hannah Brown to a lump sum of £500 and expressing regret that Mark Dyer could not provide for his niece Mary Dyer Underwood. William Atwick Hamer and Michael Greatheed Hamer (both of whom q.v.) were step-cousins of Henry Moreton Dyer, sons of his aunt by marriage Mary by another marriage.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Loviniarose » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:03 am

Hi
Thanks for your reply . I am sorry but I don,t know anyone by the name of Mark Dyer
My maternal grandfather name was Claude Vernon Dyer but I do not know his father,s name. His mother name was Octavia Robertha Samuel
In my search to find information of my great grandfather I met a Dr. Thompson from St.Vincent who
said to me that his grandmother name was Bell Dyer. She had a sister name Myrtle and 3 brothers name
Arthur.Joseph and Samuel Dyer. They came from Chateaubelair
I hope this could be of helpto you but I am not too sure if they are related to my grandfather as I don,t know his father,s name
Loviniarose

Postby Lesear » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:01 pm

Bimjim, thanks for your post. Yes, I had seen that UCL information and know of that Mark Dyer. He moved to Tortola from Montserrat and it is possible he was related to my Mark John Dyer (great uncle?).

Lovinarose - I can pass on to you the information I've found about Samuel Dyer and Celia Albert of Chateaubelair if it might be of interest - it is from the parish registers which were microfilmed by the Church of the Latter Day Saints. However this is a rather sensitive area, as they (Samuel and Celia) were seemingly of mixed race and slave owners which means there is every possibility that their slaves "adopted" the Dyer surname.

Regards
Lesear

Postby Loviniarose » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:09 pm

Thank you for your interest and I will appreciate the information
Loviniarose

Postby Lesear » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi -

The information I have relating to Samuel Dyer and Celia Albert of Chateaubelair :

Baptisms

1804 : Mark (free coloured son)
1811 : Joseph (free coloured child)
1814 : Charles (free coloured child)
1817 : Betsy
1819 : William
1821 : Sophie
1824 : Mary

Marriages

1834 : Joseph Dyer (blacksmith) m Rosannah Hepburn
1839 : William Dyer m Margaret Ann Maloney, also

1859 : James Henry Dyer (carpenter) m Eliza Elizabeth Melville

Deaths

Samuel Dyer seems to have died either before or just after his daughter Mary was born in 1824. The executors to his estate between 1824 and 1827 were James Dyer and John H Dyer. Perhaps they were sons as there is a long gap in the recorded baptisms between 1804 and 1811.

Hope this helps.
Lesear

Postby Loviniarose » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi Leaser
Thanks a lot , this should help. I need to know the name of my great grandfather, so my search continues
Loviniarose

Postby dee27 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi,

My grandmother was called Dorothy Dyer, as I am aware she was born in Panama but then moved to Montserrat when she was young.

Her husband (my grandfather) whom she married and got the surname Dyer was from Montserrat, I do not know his name.

Any further info ?

Thanks
dee27

Postby Loviniarose » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi

Thanks for keeping in contact but I don't have any new information pertaining to Dyer.

The Montserrat link came from my maternal grandmother mother, whose father,s name was John Allen and he came from Montserrat My maternal grandmother got married to Claude Vernon Dyer who was my grandfather. My grandfather was illegitimate so his father's name was not registered at birth.

His moher's surname was Samuel. My mother's maiden name is Dyer but I don't have any info about her Dyer heritage

Sorry that I can't be of much help
Loviniarose

Return to Surnames D