CARNEGIE, DUNN, LYNCH - Jamaica, Manchester

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

CARNEGIE, DUNN, LYNCH - Jamaica, Manchester

Postby Chrisser » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:40 am

I am looking for information on James Dunn, an Irishman who migrated to Jamaica and married Margaret Carnegie probably in the late 1880's.

I'm particularly interested in knowing who their children were (their daughter Sarah Gertrude is my grandmother, and she married Hylton Lynch).

I would also welcome any information on his Irish family.

Chrisser
Chrisser

Re: CARNEGIE, DUNN, LYNCH - Jamaica, Manchester

Postby bimjim » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:44 pm

I have a Hylton Wright Lynch in Jamaica
Birth 22 Mar 1873 St Elizabeth, Jamaica
Died 25 Jul 1957 St. Elizabeth, Jamaica
Father Benjamin Lynch, b.1845, Jamaica, d.1923, Jamaica
Mother Martha Ann Townsend

But I have nothing else for him after that... do his parents above match your records?

Jim Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Chrisser » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Yes, that's him! Do you have other siblings for Hylton? I have Charles H and Benjamin and I believe there's another brother and a sister. Do you have their names?
Thanks for the reply.
Chrisser

Postby bimjim » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:19 pm

I have too much going back - the software will not just print a simple GEDCOM-style listing all the way fron Hylton back to the earliest. here is the best I can do right now, I can give you access to the database if you will promise to fill in - or give me the info to fill in - from Hylton onwards...

I am also in contact with three of the living descendants of this family, now living in the US and Canada.

I also have an OCR'd text scan of a booklet titled "Buckra", by Noel Lynch Ripley, an account of Jamaica and the Irish Lynch family - "John Lynch's Jamaica Alphabet". If you want it, just ask - you can probably also . one of the originals on eBay.

--

Generation: 1
- Hylton Wright Lynch b. 22 Mar 1873, St Elizabeth, Jamaica; d. 25 Jul 1957, St. Elizabeth, Jamaica.
(Father was Benjamin Lynch)

Generation: 2
Benjamin Lynch b. 1845, Jamaica; d. 1923, Jamaica.
Benjamin m. Martha Ann Townsend [Group Sheet]
Martha Ann Townsend
== Children:
- Hylton Wright Lynch b. 22 Mar 1873, St Elizabeth, Jamaica; d. 25 Jul 1957, St. Elizabeth, Jamaica.
- Houston Stewart Lynch
(Father was Houston Stewart Lynch)

Generation: 3
Houston Stewart Lynch b. 16 Feb 1818, Kingston, Jamaica.
Houston m. Unknown
Unknown
== Children:
- Benjamin Lynch b. 1845, Jamaica; d. 1923, Jamaica.
(Father was John Lynch)

Generation: 4
John Lynch b. 13 Aug 1785, Jamaica; d. 01 Apr 1837, Dulwich, England.
John m. Georgiana Johnston Hylton 14 Mar 1810, Delve Estate Westmoreland Parish, Jamaica. Georgiana b. Abt.1794, Jamaica; d. 23 Jun 1833, Jamaica. [Group Sheet]
Georgiana Johnston Hylton b. Abt.1794, Jamaica; d. 23 Jun 1833, Jamaica.
== Children:
- John Hylton Lynch b. 29 May 1811, Spanish Town, Jamaica, BWI (23 May 1811?); c. 12 Mar 1812, Westmoreland Parish, Jamaica, BWI; d. Prince Edward Island, Canada.
- Georgian Gordon Lynch b. 09 Dec 1812, Kingston, Jamaica.
- Henry Mark Lynch b. 29 Oct 1814, Jamaica.
- Mary Elizabeth Lynch b. 02 Jun 1816, Jamaica.
- Houston Stewart Lynch b. 16 Feb 1818, Kingston, Jamaica.
- Maria Cropman Lynch b. 19 Dec 1819, Jamaica.
- Caroline Lucille Lynch b. 20 May 1821, Kingston, Jamaica.
- Arthur McKenzie Lynch b. 15 Sep 1822, Kingston, Jamaica.
- Francis Robertson Lynch b. 01 Apr 1824, 37 Brompton Row, Brompton, near London.
- Larchin Lynch b. 15 Jan 1826, Kingston, Jamaica.
- Edward Bancroft Lynch b. 02 Oct 1827, Jamaica; d. 24 Feb 1907, Spanish Town, St Catherine.
- Robert Bowen Lynch b. 24 Jul 1829, Islington Pen, St Andrew, Jamaica; d. Sep 1901, in Leisestershire, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom.
- Jasper Augustus Lynch b. 06 Apr 1832, Spanish Town, Jamaica.
(Father was Mark Lynch)
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby bimjim » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:22 pm

This Lynch family sent their Irish kin overflow to Barbados, they were Irish merchants in Bridgetown.

I believe I am related to them through a Hassel, son of Anthony and Mary, but there is no proof or documentation.
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby Chrisser » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks so much! Yes, I'll fill in what I have if you can send me the database - and the booklet, that sounds great.
I believe my sister - Maxine Lynch Bedyn, who lives in Ottawa, was in touch with you. The only other living descendant
(from Hylton) would be my twin sister - Penelope Lynch MacDonald.... are you in touch with other living descendants? Perhaps from Hylton's brother/s?
I understand that the Irish side of the family started in Barbados and not the Jamaica to Barbados direction, so I'm interested in your comment about the 'overflow' of my Lynch family going to Barbados.
Do you have any information on Arlington Lynch from Trinidad?
Regards
Christine
Chrisser

Postby bimjim » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:16 pm

Yes, I am in touch with Maxine, but also with Todd Jones and Bob Lynch. Bob did the DNA test to compare with mine, and we seem to match.

I will send you an email with the booklet and the database access.

"Buckra" actually details the lives of some of the Lynch family in Jamaica, and gives the names of the two Lynch kin who were sent to Barbados. The family in Jamaica were very successful and more kin kept coming from Ireland to a point where it was not sustainable, hence they were packed off to find their own fortune/s somewhere else. I suspect most of the Lynch names through the islands are related, although Sir Thomas was definitely not - he was English and was either in the Royal Court or had strong connections in it. In that day the Irish were second-class citizens, not to be trusted, people to be taken advantage of, and would never have received such a Royal appointment as Governor to anywhere.

I do not have an Arlington Lynch in my database, althouigh there is one here, in familysearch, but from Jamaica...
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/QVS5-M5F9
Name: Winston Vivian Lynch
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 14 Aug 1940
Event Place: Crossroads, Saint Andrew, Jamaica
Father's Name: Hylton Lynch
Spouse's Name: Olive Lilamain Lynch
Spouse's Gender: Female
Spouse's Father's Name: Arlington Lynch
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby pippi » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:58 am

I am a living relative of Jasper Augustus Lynch who was the youngest son of John and Georgina Lynch, Jasper's family bible resides with me he was born in 1832 he ended working as a diplomat in Matamoros Mexico. He married Annie Ellen Hathaway in 1873 who was from La Porte, Indiana. My grandfather was born in la Port, Indiana. Gilbert Mark Lynch, he was the youngest his mother died not long after of yellow fever. He had 2 sisters Annie Elizabeth and Georgina Augustus, and 2 brothers Hylton Hathaway and Charles Jasper.

Jasper spent time in the states and Canada. After his wife died the children where raised by a cousin of his in Port Dover, Ontairo,Canada while he continued working in Mexico as there was an outbreak of Yellow Fever. Jasper made sure his boys were all well schooled, they attended Upper Canada College. Unfortunately his oldest sons went back to see him in Mexico and both died of Yellow Fever, in Port Dover there is a stained glass window in the Anglican Church in memory of Hylton and Charles.

Gilbert Mark Lynch married Jessie Innes of Port Dover they had 2 sons Andrew Innes and Gilbert Hylton Lynch they resided mainly in Montreal. Andrew remained childless and stayed in Montreal, Gilbert Hylton was an airplane mechanic during WW2. After retirement from the R.C.A.F. my father wanted to live out west and moved to Vancouver Island.

He just passed away in 2011 at the age of 98 . He always talked fondly of his relatives although did not know to much of the goings on of his Jamaican relatives only what his father told him. He has helped my children to reach their goals in education one who is a doctor and and one a teacher, he was very proud. Would love to know more about Jasper's father John Lynch and his mother Georgina Lynch I belive maiden name was Hylton.

Cheers
pippi

Postby bimjim » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:04 pm

THE DAILY GLEANER. WEDNESDAY. SEPTEMBER 13. 19i7
The Lynch family history
by F. J. du Quesnay

(Jamaica)

John Lynch, son of Mark and Mary Lynch, nee Gordon, was born on August 13, 1785. He Was an ensign in the St. Catherine militia in 1805, a lieutenant in 1807, and attorney-at-law in 1807. He married Georgiana Hylton on March 14th. 1810. fourth daughter of William and Mary Hylton, at Delve estate in Westmoreland. The Ceremony was performed by the Rev. James Stewart. Georgiana died on June 23, 1833, aged 39 years; her husband John died at Dulwich near London April 1st. 1837 of influenza, aged 52 years.

--

Father Mark Lynch, b. 02 Jun 1755, Kingston, Jamaica, d. Abt.1789, Jamaica
Mother Mary Larchin Gordon, b. Abt.1768, Clarendon, Jamaica
Married 29 May 1784 Jamaica

John Lynch
Birth 13 Aug 1785 Jamaica
Died 01 Apr 1837 Dulwich, England

Family
Georgiana Johnston Hylton, b. Abt.1794, Jamaica, d. 23 Jun 1833, Jamaica
Married 14 Mar 1810 Delve Estate Westmoreland Parish, Jamaica

Children
-- 1. John Hylton Lynch, b. 29 May 1811, Spanish Town, Jamaica, BWI (23 May 1811?)
-- 2. Georgian Gordon Lynch, b. 09 Dec 1812, Kingston, Jamaica
-- 3. Henry Mark Lynch, b. 29 Oct 1814, Jamaica, d. 15 Jul 1845, Died of yellow fever at Kingston, Jamaica
-- 4. Mary Elizabeth Lynch, b. 02 Jun 1816, Jamaica
-- 5. Houston Stewart Lynch, b. 15 Feb 1818, Kingston, Jamaica
-- 6. Maria Cropman Lynch, b. 19 Dec 1819, Jamaica
-- 7. Caroline Lucille Lynch, b. 20 May 1821, Kingston, Jamaica
-- 8. Arthur McKenzie Lynch, b. 15 Sep 1822, Kingston, Jamaica
-- 9. Francis Robertson Lynch, b. 01 Apr 1824, 37 Brompton Row, Brompton, near London
-- 10. Larchin Lynch, b. 15 Jan 1826, Kingston, Jamaica
-- 11. Edward Bancroft Lynch, b. 02 Oct 1827, Jamaica, d. 24 Feb 1907, Spanish Town, St Catherine
-- 12. Robert Bowen Lynch, b. 24 Jul 1829, Islington Pen, St Andrew, Jamaica, d. Sep 1901, in Leisestershire, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
-- 13. Jasper Augustus Lynch, b. 06 Apr 1832, Spanish Town, Jamaica
bimjim
Site Admin

Postby wenn » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:17 am

Edith Dunn, daughter of James Dunn and Margaret Carnegie Dunn, was my grandmother. She was born in 1886 in Jamaica BWI and immigrated to the US in 1909. Sometime between 1925 and 1930 her mother Margaret Dunn and her Aunt Jane Dunn came to live with her in Queens< NY. She was married to Grover Gordon, also from Jamaica, and raised her family in New York with the help of her mother and Aunt. She had 7 children- Edward, Dorothy, Cecil, Joseph, May, Ruth and Helen. She died in 1951.

The family story claims that James Dunn left Margaret and sailed to "Costa Rica"(?) never to be seen nor heard from again. From the info on this thread, perhaps he sailed to Barbados instead.
wenn

Return to Surnames D