DERBYSHIRE - Jamaica

Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

DERBYSHIRE - Jamaica

Postby denise » Tue May 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi

Looking for further info on father and son both named James Derbyshire DOB 1774 ENGLAND, a Master Mariner, his son DOB 1801 ENGLAND was a merchant. There are various mentions of them both on the Jamaican Geneology site. They both appeared to be part of the social fabric of Jamica between 1817 -1872. There are various marriages but I cannot find any deaths in Britain or Jamaica.

Many thanks

Denise
denise

Re: DERBYSHIRE - Jamaica

Postby annemr » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:51 am

Hello, Denise
I have recently found a James Derbyshire (presumably born 1801) married to Elizabeth Packer. Elizabeth's father, Charles, was a magistrate and owned Packer's Mountain in St Catherine, Jamaica. Elizabeth Derbyshire was his executor following his death in 1823.
I have not found any children to the marriage.
Regards
Anne
annemr

Postby denise » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:02 am

Hi Anne

Many thanks for your reply. Since my last post I have found out more about James Derbyshire. I have the marriage record of James marrying Elizabeth Packer in 1826, widow of Charles Packer, also photo of her gravestone. The slaves belonging to Charles were then passed to James after their marriage 1826, and her death in 1827. The only question remaining is whether it was James b.1801 or his father, James Derbyshire b.1774. Elizabeth was much younger than Charles, who was born 1779.

Thanks again.
denise

Postby annemr » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:12 am

Thanks, Denise. That explains the relationship between Charles and Elizabeth.

My interest is in Packer's Mountain, and the people who worked there. It's possible my g-g-g-grandfather was the proprietor following Charles' death.

I will keep digging.

Cheers
Anne
annemr

Return to Surnames D