Don't forget to look up the incredible range of LED bulbs from TMart!
Daily Dealsworldwide free shippingWorldwide Free Shipping

Codrington estate, St Kitts

For enquiries about PLACES - Locations, properties, estates, etc.
Please do NOT post your email addresses here.
Contact available by Private Message ONLY (to avoid SPAM).

Codrington estate, St Kitts

Postby chriscod » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Wondered if anyone has a good map of St Kitts circa 1717 which notes the location of the Codrington Estate there....It is quite ignored in most info on the family available. Any info of any sort much appreciated contact me here by PM.

chriscod
CM Codrington
Researching Codrington and related families in the Caribbean 1640-1880. Family trade and business networks
chriscod

Re: Codrington estate, St Kitts

Postby MargoMcP » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:23 pm

In 1702, Christopher, Jr. did get rid of the French in St. Kitts: http://caribbean-guide.info/past.and.present/history/spanish.succession/ but I find them mostly on Barbados. Have you checked in England? Walne's 1973 A Guide to Manuscript Sources for the History of Latin America and the Caribbean in the British Isles has an entire entry for Sir Christopher Codrington, Dodington Park, Chipping Sodbury and lists:

title deeds to Codrington family estates in Antigua and Barbuda, 1696-1837; Plantation accounts, c. 1750-1912; Estate management papers, Antigua and Barbuda 1681-1863; Bills of lading for produce shipped from Antigua and Barbuda, c. 1715-20; Letter books concerning family and estate matters, 1720-1, 1751-61, 1783-91, 1853-5; Maps, Antigua and Barbuda estates, 1750-1800.

I haven't found any reference to Codrington in St. Kitts.
Cardin - St. Kitts
MargoMcP

Postby hugh » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:43 pm

Chris,

I am descended from the infamous Pogson who murdered Johnson while Codrington was Governor - do you have any more info about him or Pickwoad his son in law Chief justice?

Hugh
hugh

Postby chriscod » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi Hugh sorry this is a couple years late....sometimes Im kinda slow....

No but now that you have made it a more intimate concern I will be on the lookout as I am actually deep in study right now...poking about in the 17th and early 18th...nice meeting you
Cod
CM Codrington
Researching Codrington and related families in the Caribbean 1640-1880. Family trade and business networks
chriscod

Postby hugh » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:49 am

No problem - the wheels of time run slow......!
I visited St Kitts in the interim and found some interesting family traces - do you yet know which one was the Codrington estate?
Hugh
hugh

Postby chriscod » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi Hugh
Well another year past and back we are at carsurdex.....re previous question I dont have it off the top of my head but do recall adequate specifics exist in correspondence between CCodrinton III and board of trade(Calendar of State Papers Colonial) which offered some detail on the displaced former owner's widow and application for compensation. It comes up again in correspondence between William Cod 1st bt who apparently had leased it and then had a hell of a time getting either the rent or repossession of the property. It is also noted in a Chancery case "Williamson vs Codrington" the details of which survive in the National Archives and in Gloucestshire Records office under papers there on the Cods of Doddington. Eventually I will dig it all up because it is winter and time to get back to working on the book I have so cavalierly abandoned for two years. Check back from time to time and I will post material I find, I have to keep you on my good side..... :wink:
CM Codrington
chriscod

Postby hugh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:46 pm

A sight of any early maps would be good! I have poor copies of 1778 and 1828

Hugh
hugh

Return to Research specialties - Locations, properties, estates, etc.