NEW USERS: How to get the most bang for your Post...

Messages from the Administrator to the users of this Index/Forum
Please do NOT post General Enquiries messages here.

NEW USERS: How to get the most bang for your Post...

Postby bimjim » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Welcome...

Up front, before anything else, here's my biggest frustration in administering this Index: PLEASE understand that you MUST post a message to do anything useful here. By all means fill in your Profile (where you're from, interests, Signature, etc.) - but those are not available to the search engines, so gather your info and create a POST. If you do not post a message, you're simply wasting your time here.

Well, onwards and upwards...

Presumably you are here because you are still looking for ways to do effective research. Maybe you have hit a "brick wall", the leads are fading out, the records don't go back that far, GreatGreatGrandpa is rumoured to have had a mistress and outside kids, your mother spoke in a heated moment about a rogue fifth uncle (and you only know about three), or something else.

The point is, you need more information and the conventional sources either do not exist or are somehow unable to provide you with what you need (you can share sources of information here too).

Enter the Caribbean Surname Index, born of a need to let people exchange family tree information in the hope that connections will be made over thousands of miles or many generations. I know people look for long-lost friends or former lovers here too, but that's a side-benefit, not the main event, and is perfectly OK (unless you want to to harass or stalk them, in which case I hope you get a long sentence as some Hell's Angel's bitch - with hard labour).

To use this resource to search effectively, first you need to understand that the core purpose of posting a message here is to catch someone else's internet search - someone else using a search engine (such as Google) to try and find their long lost relatives. It is therefore necessary to THINK seriously about what information you will you post here, and to think the way THEY would think - throw away all your own unique logic and thought processes and go "mass-media" for your ideas and words about "merchandising" your information.

In using such words and phrases, let's pause and recognise that no selling is permitted in this Index. No advertising, no pushing of commercial sites (unless they contain valuable and relevant information) is allowed. And if links contain affiliate codes, those codes will be removed by the Administrator - so please recognise that any affiliate posting you add here gets nothing in return for the link.

Yes, the "bare" essential of a single surname in a post will "barely" suffice, but if you include a few given ("Christian") names, relationships and both the country/ies and local location/s, would that not both save others correspondence and widen your "net" at the same time? The idea is to get results, is it not? So how do you normally get results?? Not by doing as little as possible, I hope?

And remember, the results are YOURS, not your employer's or anybody else's... you're working for yourself here, so you would be well advised to put in the elbow grease, thought and effort necessary to get real results.

That said, there is hardly a day goes by while administrating this Index that I do not come across new connections across the generations and decades. Of course, the people who find the greatest success are the ones who put the most 'keywords' in their posts, just like a commercial site looking for everyone else's business.

IMPORTANT: (Here it is again...) To make ANY progress using this resource, you MUST post at least ONE message - putting your information in your Profile simply does not cut it. Posts, not Profiles, make it into the search engine databases, and someone searching with matching keywords will be able to find the info in your post/s (NOT in your Profile).

The easiest path is to compose a single message with ALL of the surnames, ALL of the locations, ALL of the nicknames, ALL of the unusual traits, ALL of the family friends, etc., and post it to as many of the alphabetical Boards as are appropriate to your surnames (Lynch under L, Robinson under R, and so on) - while posting a different surname in the Subject line each time of course - or, you could compose as many messages as there are surnames and customise each message to each surname and/or location. Then Post the same message to the appropriate Country Boards, then line up the surnames in order (at the beginning of the same message) and Post it to the ROLL CALL Board.

Personally, I think the trick to greatest success is to put enough of the right 'keywords' in your messages out there (in your Posts) for OTHERS to find you... think of things OTHER people might be looking for - surnames, nicknames, unusual names, places, family traits, even names of close family friends. And think of unusual traits... for instance if twins run in your family you might find a way to add that word somewhere in your Post/s.

Essential Tip: Go into your Profile and make sure both 'Notification' checkboxes are checked. Those ensure that if someone responds to your Post/s or sends you a Private Message you do receive an email alert from the Index... and you can pick up on it right away. Those also save you having to keep checking the Index for responses.

Plus, if you sent someone such a message, wouldn't YOU like a response within 24 hours - instead of by chance coming back to find it two years later?

Finally, if you should lose your username or password, just drop me a line, with the email address you registered with and your username (if you can remember it - I can also find your username using your email address), and can reset your password to a temporary one so you can Log-In, go into your Profile and change it to something you can remember.

And you should be writing to me from the email address you registered with - I will not betray your privacy to someone else pretending to be you.

There's more, but this all I have time for right now...

--

My additional search engine keywords for this page/Index...

Caribbean Surname Index Caribean Carribean Surnames Indexes Family Tree Family History Fammily Families Histery Living History Livving Histories Genealogy Anegada Anguilla Antigua Antiger Antilles Francaise Antillanse Aruba Barbados Barbadoes Bahamas Barbuda Beef Island Bequai Bermuda Bimini Bonaire British Virgin Islands BVI Canouan Carriacou Cuba Curacao Cayman Colombia Culebra Departements de France Departements Francaise Dominica Dominican Republic Grenada Guadeloupe Guiana Guyana Haiti Jamaica Les Saintes Margarita Marie Galante Martinique Mayreau Mexico Montserrat Mustique Nevis Palm Petit St. Vincent PSV Puerto Rico Saba St. Barths Barts Bartholemy St. Croix St. Eustatius St. John St. Kitts St. Lucia St. Thomas St. Vincent Statia Suriname Tobago Tortola Tortuga Trinidad Union United States Venezuela Virgin Islands USVI Virgin Gorda
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

Return to Messages from the Administrator