Please read: Format you must follow for adding entries...

Your descriptions of how things were, or of how things are... or of major events that touched our lives.
For the enlightenment of future generations.

Please read: Format you must follow for adding entries...

Postby bimjim » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:27 pm

Your descriptions of how things were, or of how things are... or of major events that touched our lives. Intended for the enlightenment of future generations.

Subject line: A brief descriptive sentence

Example:

- The day Hurricane Janet hit Barbados (1954)

Body text:

Your narrative, in your own words.

*1. Please have someone spell-check and grammar-check the narrative for you before posting it (or proof and edit the post very soon afterwards).
*2. After posting the Administrator may make corrections where necessary for readability.
*3. Please stick to the facts, and explain theories that were generally accepted at the time - and if they were proven wrong at a later date!
*4. Family narratives welcome. Please provide the family hierarchy where it would clarify the story.
*5 Most other narratives welcome - they do not have to be tragic or negative. Narratives of positive events may be posted as well!!

Thank you for your participation.
Jim Lynch
Owner/Administrator

Caribbean Surname Index
Canadian Surname Index
Irish Surname Index
bimjim
Site Admin

1963 - Hurricane Flora close call / J. F. Kennedy

Postby gallimoh » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:04 am

This was my first memory of a Hurricane coming close to Jamaica.
It was about two months before my 12th birthday. I remember my parents making extensive preparations to our house on Upper Waterloo Road in St. Andrew. This involved buying Hurricane Lanterns, Kerosene, Matches, Flashlights, batteries etc. In addition, water was collected and stored, and windows were boarded up. Due to the heavy rainfall and wind, and being just 11, I thought that the Hurricane had hit us. However, it had in fact missed us, and only the tail had come close.

I can remember coming home from school and seeing the water come over the Sandy Gully bridge by Drumblair. A few people tried to cross the bridge. And I remember them making it. However, the water was moving real fast and one wrong step meant you were gone. I decided to get back on my bicycle, to go to Constant Spring Road up to Shortwood and then back down.

This was quite a year, as I also remember a couple months later when my Father came to pick me up from school. This was unusual, as I rode my bike that day. It was Friday November-22-1963, and John F. Kennedy had been killed in the U.S.A. It was after lunch, and he gave the Priests at Campion the news.
gallimoh

The Family Of Dr Arthur Saunders

Postby Jim » Sun May 09, 2010 1:55 am

ARTHUR RICH SAUNDERS

ARTHUR RICH SAUNDERS, FRCS, JP was born on April 19, 1846 in Haverfordwest St. Martin, Wales. He was the oldest of David Price Saunders’ five surviving sons. David was the owner of a dispensing chemist shop in Haverfordwest. Business must have been good because all his sons went on to university. Charles went to work for his father and later took over the family business, which still exists. Alfred became a Church of England clergyman and the other three, Arthur, Frank and Edward, became doctors.

On the advice of relatives already in Jamaica, Arthur relocated there in the 1860’s and convinced his younger brother Frank to join him a few years later. Arthur took the position of Government Medical Officer for the Port Maria District on the north side of Jamaica. He had been a medal winning medical student and was well received by the Jamaica medical fraternity. In 1875, as a result of his hard work and good reputation he was invited to join the practise of one of Jamaica’s leading medical practitioners, Hon. Dr James Cecil Phillippo, as the junior partner. As well as being one of Jamaica’s leading doctors, Dr. Phillippo was an author, businessman and a very influential politician. Two years later Arthur married Emma Louise Phillippo in the Kingston Parish Church. She was the daughter of Arthur’s senior partner and the granddaughter of the famous Baptist missionary, abolitionist and author J. M. Phillippo. Arthur became very successful as a physician and, as a businessman, was one of the founders of the still operating Gleaner Company. Louise and Arthur had three boys and three girls; Arthur, Harold, Frank, Helen, Elizabeth and Isabel. The boys and girls were sent off to school in England when they were around ten years old; the boys to Clifton and Epsom and the girls all to Cheltenham Ladies College. When Dr. Phillippo retired Arthur brought his brother Frank into the practise as a partner of Drs. Saunders and Saunders. Arthur retired after the great earthquake of January 1907 and left the practise to Frank. Frank remained in Jamaica, but Arthur and Louise sailed for England in early 1908. They settled in Dover where Arthur died on January 27, 1915. A few years later Louise relocated to “The Pines’ in Cheltenham where she stayed until she died in the mid 1950’s. Arthur and Emma had six children; three boys and three girls.

Arthur “Hugh” Rich Saunders b.1886, Kingston, Jamaica was a Captain in the King Edward’s Own Gurkha Rifles (The Sirmoor Rifles). He was killed in action on March 8, 1916 when leading an assault on the Dujaila Redoubt, Mesopotamia and was buried at the soldier’s monument at Basra, now in Iraq. He never married.

From the Jamaica Gleaner: Roll of Honour of Sons of Jamaica who have laid down their lives for their King and Country in the Great European War:

SAUNDERS, Arthur Hugh Rich, Captain 1st Battalion 2nd King Edward's Own Gurkha Rifles, the Sirmoor Rifles; son of the late Dr. Arthur Saunders, formerly principal of Drs. Saunders and Saunders, Kingston. He was born in Kingston in 1886 (sic) and was educated at Collegiate School under the late Mr. W Morrison, M.A. He held the rank of Second Lieutenant in the old Jamaica Infantry Militia. In 1909 he joined the East Yorkshire Regiment as Second Lieutenant. In the same year he was employed with the King's African Rifles. Later he was transferred to the Indian Army and posted to the famous Second Gurkhas. In January, 1914, he obtained his Captaincy in the Regiment. He was killed while serving with his Regiment on the 8th March, 1916.

Isabel “Minna” Louise Saunders born in 1887 in Kingston, Jamaica married Harold Walford, a provincial manager for Lloyd’s Bank, in September 1914 in Dover, England. Minna became despondent later in life and threw herself under a train in Dawlish in 1938.
They had a daughter Daphne Walford who married Charles Fortune. When Daphne and Charles were first married he was headmaster of a boys school in England. They moved to Johannesburg, South Africa where he became quite famous as a cricket commentator, and visited Australia with the South African cricket team several times. He was a radio presenter and very popular. He was full of light chatter and background stories about the players and coaches.

Elizabeth “Elsie” Mary Saunders was born in Kingston, Jamaica. She married James Llewellyn Stenhouse RA, a career Royal Army officer, possibly in Haverfordwest in 1906 and settled on the Isle of Wight. They had three daughters who all had children. Cynthia Mary Louise Stenhouse (born 1907, died 1965) married Major Sidney Guillan. Jenifer Maitland Stenhouse (born January 20, 1908, Sheerness, Isle Of Sheppey, died August 26, 1992) married Lieutenant Colonel Grey Egerton Thornely Mott (born 1897, died in March, 1980) on November 6, 1935 in Hong Kong. Philippa Katherine Stenhouse (born 1916, Cambridge, England) married Reverend Canon William Douglas O'Hanlon (born in 1911) in 1940. They were divorced about 1940.

Helen “Nell” Nora Beatrice Saunders was born in Kingston, Jamaica. After she finished school she spent the rest of her life in Cheltenham. She was a nurse during World War One. She never married and died in Cheltenham sometime after her brother Frank’s death in 1963.

Harold Cecil Rich Saunders DSO was born on April 28, 1882, in Kingston, Jamaica. After college he studied art at Lindley Gentlemen's College in London for a short time before he joined the army. He had earned the rank of Major in the East Yorkshire Regiment in World War I. He married Dorothy May Triscott in 1915. He was an acting Lieutenant Colonel when he was killed on March 30, 1918 in Hangard Wood, on the Somme in France and he was buried at the soldier’s monument in Soissons, France. He had been a professional soldier for a long time and had seen service in many parts of the world.

From his entry in Clifton College Register 1862 1925, p.312: SAUNDERS, Harold Cecil Rich, (1882 1918) DSO 1917; East Yorkshire Regiment; born Kingston, Jamaica, 28 April 1882; eldest son Dr of A. R. Saunders, MD, MB, FRCS, and Louise, eldest daughter of Hon Dr J. C. Phillippo; married June 11, 1915, Dorothy, eldest daughter of Brig. General C. P. Triscott, CB.
Education: Clifton College.
Work: Joined East Yorkshire Regiment from Tasmania Militia Infantry, 1905; served in Burma and India;seconded 3rd King's African Rifles, 1909 1912; served East Africa (medal and clasp, Somaliland); served European War, 1914 1917; arrived France, January 1915; wounded, February 1915 (mention in dispatches, DSO).
Recreations: sketching, usual field sports and games.
Clubs: Junior Naval and Military.
Died: France, 30 March,1918.

Harold and Dorothy had one child Arthur David Rich Saunders. He was born July 5,1917 and followed in a family tradition of using his middle name David. He followed in his father’s footsteps and served in the East Yorkshire Regiment. He married Margaret Mitchell Bell July 3, 1948 in London, England and died in June 2000 in Haverfordwest.

Frank Phillippo Rich Saunders was born November 3, 1888 in Kingston, Jamaica. He was the youngest child of Arthur and Emma. He was named after Francis “Frank” Henry Saunders, his uncle and father’s medical partner.
Searching for: Saunders, Phillippo, St Aubyn, Stonehouse, Walford, Walton, James and Gifford worldwide.
Jim

Return to Living Histories